FSI Right seat program

Boskru

Hello all.

I did a quick search and didn't see anything listed about the right seat program. Many years ago I was part of the Falcon 50 right seat program at CAE DFW. It was unpaid, but after 80 sessions you got the type rating. At the time it didn't fit in well with my schedule after I got a full-time job so I didn't get far enough along to finish. I've just been approached by FlightSafety DFW about doing a similiar gig. FSI pays their right seaters a little bit but hasn't said anything about whether they give the type after a certain number of sessions.

Does anybody on JC take part in this program that would be able to give a few details?

Thanks,

No type rating but your paid. The schedule can be pretty sporadic. I was in the G-IV program for a year and got a contract gig after about 6 months. Good group of people there.

I was part of the FSI program way back when Toledo was still a thing.

I was paid, and given a type after about 1 year. More as a thank you than an obligation by the company but its mostly understood you get the PIC type after a year.

Any questions ask! I know 5-6 people who have done the programs and all have had great success in their careers.

I have a former student who works for a..... pristine company who just became BFF's with another company where the winters are really cold, who did the right seat thing, and ended up not only getting paid well, but also got a new type out of the deal in a G6 after about a year and a half.

I have a former student who works for a..... pristine company who just became BFF's with another company where the winters are really cold, who did the right seat thing, and ended up not only getting paid well, but also got a new type out of the deal in a G6 after about a year and a half.
I see what you did there.

I spent a year and a half in Savannah. I was initially SIC typed in the G450/550. After a year I was PIC typed. That position helped me get to where I am today. I've been with my current employer (whom I met at FSI) just over 5 years and love it.

I was part of the FSI program way back when Toledo was still a thing.

I was paid, and given a type after about 1 year. More as a thank you than an obligation by the company but its mostly understood you get the PIC type after a year.

Any questions ask! I know 5-6 people who have done the programs and all have had great success in their careers.

Might be a little late to the party but can you give a rundown of how it works? Hour requirements?

The FSI Right seat gig is potentially the best chance to network with 91/135 departments you will ever find. Every right seater that puts a good effort in is flying some fancy metal within a year in my experience.

Type after a year, or, if they need to get a TCE type authority and don't have any initials, or space for a full initial you may get the type prior to a year with the FAA watching.... not like thats a big deal at this point, because you'll have been through the type ride roughly 3 times a week.

I enjoyed my time there. Ended up going 121 but there was plenty of opportunity to stay on an instructor track or switch to a couple of 91 jobs. Pay was good with a type after 1 year.

Most jobs aren't posted on public sites and go to CFIs from the Vero Beach flight school. Pay/type rating depends on the center, some type you up front, some after a year and I wasn't aware of any that didn't pay. Best bet is to get in contact with a program manager and see if they're in need of right seaters. No better way to learn about an airframe than doing 10 full initials and 30 plus recurrents in a year. If you're good at what you do and you're personable you will get job offers, definitely the best place to network and break into part 91 corp flight departments.

Does anybody do this part time? Someone with free time and would be fun to do on the side for some extra income.

- that being said, if you are an FSI right seater, don't jump at the first job offer you get, unless it's a 1 in a million job - you'll get offers from top flight companies if you put in a solid effort and network. If you spend your breaks buried in your cell phone and don't bother to talk to clients, then, less job offers obviously.

Back