FSI people!!

Baronman

Hey guys,
Just wondering how things are going down in Vero right now? Who's currently there? What step are you in? Who will be starting there soon? Who's on the CFI wait list?

I've lost track of where everyone is!!

I'm in NY still, working as a CFI....Maybe in the next FSI stan class whenever it comes.

Is Bill Griffith still there? Awsome instructor and check pilot. Did my Instrument ride with him and it was a blast.

Bill is a cool guy....I'm happy to say I consider him a personal friend of mine, (although I haven't talked to him in some time
crazy.gif
).

As far as I know he's at FSI still.

Yeah Bill is still here working in the RWL program, check pilot, and standarization pilot as well. I think he was trying to get on with US Customs......stand up guy.

I just got on the magic list. I'm currently instructing just up the road in Sebastian. I've heard the student enrollment might be picking up slightly.

How did you manage to find a job instructing in Sebastian? Are they looking for anyone else? I am currently on the wait list and plotting my next move while flying my II.

Two things FSI is increasing its numbers July is going to have the highest enrollment in a long time.
Dont count on a Standz class too soon. Expect one in the fall.

I work at a small, 1 instructor FBO in Sebastian. I spent a week walking my resume into all of the local area FBO's and flight schools, and I got lucky. You just have to walk in on the right day when there is a job opening. The jobs are out there, just be persistant.

Michigan Flyer or anybody else......I am 35 and moving to Vero Beach with wife and 2 kids. I already have single engine commercial. My plan is to attend FSI for ME and CFI training. My biggest dilemma is that I do not want to move again (not healthy for kids). I want to buy a small house in Vero/Sebastian and stay.

Is it possible/probable that I will be able to find a job in the local area (assuming average intelligence, etc.)?

Is it possible/probable to launch your career from Vero? I mean not move and still get to the regional level?

Thanks in advance!!!

Mr Griffiths is a great guy, did my pre-solo stage check with him last Jan. Hey Baronman, where on Long Island are you? When did you finish at FSI, I finished Oct, 2002.

I am not real sure what the hiring pool looks like at FSI right now, but I'm sure the list is still pretty long. I know of quite a few instructors who instructed at FSI then moved onto the regional/corporate world. However, right now the way things are there are ALOT of instructors floating around the Vero area right now with FlightSafety and PanAm right down the road. It would probably be a long wait if you did get on with FlightSafety and put in the pool before you got a chance to instruct. I would suggest if you wanted to instruct you will probably have to go elsewhere. There are buttload of schools and FBO's in Florida that are usually looking for instructors, you'll just have to go out and find them. Also check into banner towing or sight seeing tours and see what they offer.
Like I said, I don't know what the hiring pool looks like or if FlightSafety is even still conducting interviews but your best bet is to find somewhere else to instruct. Good Luck.

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan Flyer or anybody else......I am 35 and moving to Vero Beach with wife and 2 kids. I already have single engine commercial. My plan is to attend FSI for ME and CFI training. My biggest dilemma is that I do not want to move again (not healthy for kids). I want to buy a small house in Vero/Sebastian and stay.

Is it possible/probable that I will be able to find a job in the local area (assuming average intelligence, etc.)?

Is it possible/probable to launch your career from Vero? I mean not move and still get to the regional level?

Thanks in advance!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I did exactly what you are planning to do, sans the permanent move part. It will take you around 3.5 months to do what you plan on doing, so why move to Vero? There aren't many if any jobs in Vero for instructors. Unless you want to work at the mall or some other non-aviation related career for a year or two, don't move to Vero. I'd recommend talking to the place where you did most of your training and let them know you'll be a new FS trained CFI soon looking for work. Getting on the list isn't assured, so why move your entire family to Vero for 3 months of flight training?

I was born and raised in NY. I am a Civil Engineer and I make a pretty good living. I was lucky enough to have bought my home at the right time, which was about 6 years ago.

I must maintain the standard of living for my family while paying my flying dues. In Vero, which my wife and I love, I can buy a comparable home for 1/3rd the cost. So the plan is to buy a house pay for final training and keep enough in the bank to supplement our reduced income for a couple of years.

My local FBO would hire me, and in fact already has. I am an AGI and have taught a couple of ground classes. I would only need to complete the CFI/II. Though it is an excellent FBO, it does not have any multi planes. Also the pay, which is relatively good, would not support my family with my current overhead.

I must move to a less expensive climate. We have chosen Vero/Sebastian. So now I need to really evaluate the job situation after I get my ratings. Can a CFI job in Vero/Sebastian be found with some persistence or are there 100 jobless CFIs for each opening?

Also, say that I am lucky enough to instruct at FSI. After x time is it possible with some persistence to find a regional job and live in Vero/Sebastian?

Is there anybody living in Vero that works for major airline? Do I have to plan a second move, third move, etc.?

Again, thanks in advance!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Can a CFI job in Vero/Sebastian be found with some persistence or are there 100 jobless CFIs for each opening?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with the latter. Because theres so many flight schools in FL, theres also a lot of CFI's floating around looking for ways to stay down there. Its not what you want to hear, but if you want to instruct in Vero, you'd better know somebody. One of my co-workers has been trying to get a job down there for months, with no success- and he has several hundred hours of dual given. You may want to start thinking about biting the bullet and going where-ever you have to to get a job. I know thats easy for me to say being young and single, but I also know its the truth because I, and almost all of my friends from FSI have had to do it. My CFI class is literally scattered all over the country.

[ QUOTE ]
After x time is it possible with some persistence to find a regional job and live in Vero/Sebastian?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely. Or at least, I don't know of anyone who has.

I know it sounds grim. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and find something down there. In any case, good luck!
smile.gif

(by the way...where in NY are you from? I grew up near Rochester)

Thanks Eatsleepfly for the info.

Your right, that is pretty grim sounding. I live on Long Island.

I have always believed in getting the best training. After hanging around this message board it seems that FSI is fine establishment. With that said, I wonder if I am approaching this all wrong.

Eatsleepfly or anyone else that graduated FSI and is waiting for call-back........If you could do it again would you go to a school like Ben Ari, a school that would almost guarantee you CFI work after you complete? In other words would you trade the prestige for the continuity?

[ QUOTE ]
Eatsleepfly or anyone else that graduated FSI and is waiting for call-back........If you could do it again would you go to a school like Ben Ari, a school that would almost guarantee you CFI work after you complete? In other words would you trade the prestige for the continuity?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to do it all over again, I certainly would still attend FlightSafety. Its not just prestige but quality of instruction that will give you a solid foundation on which you can build your career.

Vasceral.......thanks for info!

Since you did the same thing I have few more questions:

Did you like FSI? Did you get your CFII and MEI in that 3.5 mo.?

Did you feel that if you tried to instruct at FSI they would prefer to hire someone that went through the entire program?

Also was your instructor able to adapt to your previous training from another school or did you have relearn a things their way?

Again Thanks in advance!!!!

With regards to your wanting to stay in Vero/Sebastian as a regional pilot, ASA and Comair fly out of Melbourne extensively. Its no hub of course, but nearly every flight I saw was via ASA to Atlanta.

I'm on the waiting list and I wouldn't have changed a thing. People were bragging 1 month ago that Comair Academy didn't have a wait list to instruct. Go check their forum now though. I don't know if Ari Ben has a wait, but if they don't now, they might in 1 month. As I said before, you'll be able to find a job at Vero/Sebastian, but it might not be instructing. So, if that's ok with you, you should have no problems. There are plenty of people on this board who have done what you are planning or have friends that have. Other opinions??

To echo whats already been said- I dont think you'll regret going to FSA...after you leave and head out into the real world, you'll realize the quality of training you've received. True, the wait list is long, but go where you'll become the best pilot possible. The only personal experience I have had with DCA and Pan Am is from their intro tours but the point is I personally wouldnt choose a school just based on how long or short their wait list is.

So, I'm happy I went to FSA...I've been able to take alot of techniques, tricks, methods, etc learned at FSA and apply them teaching in the 61 world. If you go, try to get on the list anyway...its always good to have an option to go back down the road when times are better.

Rausda- nice Citation picture! See ya buddy!

Back