FSI people!!

[ QUOTE ]
Eatsleepfly or anyone else that graduated FSI and is waiting for call-back........If you could do it again would you go to a school like Ben Ari, a school that would almost guarantee you CFI work after you complete? In other words would you trade the prestige for the continuity?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not waiting for a callback. I interviewed twice and was turned down both times. But I would still go back if I had it to do again, and have/would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. The training is second to none.
smile.gif

Finding a flying job while on the wait list may be a problem in the local area. But you are correct about the cost of living being cheap down here. I just bought a nice house for less than 100 grand. I'm sure you couldn't even get a parking spot in Long Island with that kind of money.

As far as living in Vero while working for a regional. It all depends what company and where you are based out of. Commutting thru Orlando is no big deal (1.5 hour drive). I know a couple instructors who got on with Chatacqua recently and still live in town.

That's great! I may decide to move again but I don't want to be forced to move again. If my kids are happy and we all love it I would like to know that options may exist if we stay. Biggest problem seems to be getting hired by FSI or some local FBO. Is there much CFI work in Melbourne and is it commutable?

And Aviator how do you like Vero? My wife and I spent several days with a realtor and both of us really liked it. We have been looking at sebastian via realtor.com but never saw it. Looks a little cheeper.

....and if you only spent 100k on a parking spot on long island it will probably be in a neighborhood where the friendly inhabitants will carefully smash a brick through the windshield every night!!!

If you're into getting your CFI/II done rather quick, look into Airman in Norman, OK. I know 4 people who left FSI after their CIME program and went to Airman for their CFI/II/MEI. They were gone about 30 days and cost around $5000 give or take a couple hundred. All said it was a great school and they were glad they went.

Airman Flight School

I do know one person who lives in Northern Sebastian and flies for Delta. He is a captain on the 73 and is based in Atlanta. He commutes for his flights (which isn't very often). Of the pilots I know, most of which fly for majors and have been there for sometime, none of them live in the city in which they are based. This is possible with a very high seniority so they just commute form their home to their domicile and go from there.

Okay folks,

DUDE!!! It is clearly building outside. Here is the deal! The flight school itself of FlightSafety is superb. I went there and I am currently working on my CFII. I am on the wait list. I dont think any Flight School is without some sort of Wait List. I think you should go and try to become the best and most safe pilot out there. I know folks in DCA who are on a wait list. Pan Am....is a joke..I think we lose sight of the fact that sometimes, these schools play with promises. FSI doesnt issue guarantees or promises. I have one suggestion, Promise that you will get a quality aviation education at FlightSafety. Now, am I happy about the wait list!? But I can go find an instructing job somewhere around here, if I cant its off to the internship program next time around. Keep trying, something will break for you.

I am sick to death of people thinking that the world owes them something. Yeah, it is a lot of money to spend but come on, a lot of us are right out of college yelling about having to wait for a couple of months to go instruct. Our aviation forefathers were fighting in Vietnam. It is called paying your dues.

To the guy with a couple of kids wanting to move here to Vero. I say it is one of those chances, but Vero is a cool place to live. Not for those of y'all who are single, but for those of us with wives and fiancees, it isnt a bad deal.

Well there was some intial culture shock of moving from a large city (Chicago) down to a small town in central FL, and at first I hated it. But the place does grow on you and now I actually kind of like Zero beach. (Keep in mind I'm single so no wife and kids)

Flying jobs are around but landing one would require some luck. Honestly, you could probably find some enginering work to hold you over.
tongue.gif

I would chose Flight Safety again in a heartbeat. I think the quality of the training is worth it. I would not chose a school based on the hiring list because these things change rapidly and what is true today wil not be the same 4 months from now.

That said, if you do your CFI training at Flight Safety, I think you have a fair chance at getting hired, assuming your knowledge and teaching ability is up to snuff.

I like it in Vero Beach, and I'm hoping to stay around here too, it's a possibility to not have to move, but I wouldn't be dead set on it. You have to have a plan B and a plan C if you want to make it in this industry.

[ QUOTE ]
Vasceral.......thanks for info!

Since you did the same thing I have few more questions:

Did you like FSI? Did you get your CFII and MEI in that 3.5 mo.?

Did you feel that if you tried to instruct at FSI they would prefer to hire someone that went through the entire program?

Also was your instructor able to adapt to your previous training from another school or did you have relearn a things their way?

Again Thanks in advance!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Summer,
I enjoyed FSI very much. I compared and shopped around much like you're doing now before I made the final decision. That decision was based almost exclusively on info and student comments from this web site. I met pavelump during inprocessing that first day and probably saw some other jetcareers regulars when I was there too. What I did in that 3.5 months was the ME add-on and the CFI course. That included a holiday break of a few weeks too! Once you finish the CFI course you can interview. Then, you'll want to do the CFII because if you pass the interview, you'll get the discount rate on the airplanes which is exceptional. I didn't have time to do the CFII because I had to start CFIing at my local FBO ASAP. I never got the impression they wanted to exclusively hire someone who went through the entire program ( a la All ATPs). You are on even ground with every other candidate in the interviews, so its all going to revolve around your capabilities. As far as my instructor adapting to my previous training, not really. I had to learn to fly the airplanes the way FS wants them flown. Its actually an easy process because they give you a supplement for each aircraft that has approximate power settings, altitudes, etc for everything. Just devote a great deal of time initially to learning that supplement, and you'll glide through the program. For the CFI course, get the GLEIM book and read it until the pages begin to yellow. Then read it some more. If you've got any other questions, let me know!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You are on even ground with every other candidate in the interviews, so its all going to revolve around your capabilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily agree with that. Not being bitter or anything, but...

I never once failed a stage check/checkride. My grades were all good. My instructor put in a good word for me.

First interview: Presentation was good but slightly short (roughly 2 min.)- didn't get the job.

Second interview: Presentation was good and right on time (within one minute)- still didn't get the job. The guy that interviewed before me did it in his uniform (not a suit like everyone else) AND opened the door during the Q&A period at the end to ask a passerby the answer to something. He got the job.

Equal ground? I don't think so. They couldn't give me any legitimate reason, especially the second time around, why I am not on that list.

Eatsleepfly,
My point is that if you come in to the school without having done the entire course, you won't automatically have points deducted from your interview scores.

[ QUOTE ]
Then, you'll want to do the CFII because if you pass the interview, you'll get the discount rate on the airplanes which is exceptional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful about this one! I did my CFII for $1,100 including the cost of the checkride. FSI quoted me a higher price even with the CFI list discount or employee discount. If you are proficient on instruments and get used to flying from the right seat on instruments quickly, your CFII can be done in 3 or 4 flights. Don't waste the extra money if you don't need to.

Thanks to all.

Man, I have to say that I plan to move in September (not far off). I just found this web site last week and it has filled is so many gaps. Till now, my major source of info was from the flight schools (very bias). I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now thanks and enjoy the holiday!

In turn, if any of you plan to fly to NYC and up the hudson I will gladly help your preflight. I have done the NYC tour about 50+ times and still can't wait to do it next week!

I live in Vero and my spouse is based out of Chicago and I can tell you that the commuting from West Palm (1hr 10min) and Orland (1hr 25min) is not easy, especially if you are junior. Orlando flights are usually always full and there are fewer flights out of West Palm especially in the off season. Don't forget you will most likely need a crash pad $150-200 mo plus the monthly cost of parking passes at 2 different airports or your spouse will have to take you and pick you up, trust me that gets real old after 6mo.

Like the others have said I would not choose a school based on them telling you they will give you a job when you finish. Choose the school or FBO that will be the best for you and your situation. Gather all the info you can weight the pros and cons and make an educated decision. FSA training is very good but it may not be the best for everyone’s circumstances and is seems your putting a whole lot of stock in staying here once you finish. I am not saying it’s not possible, you just might not be getting paid to fly, “Hi welcome to Wal-Mart how may I help you”. I generally think if you’re going to be in the aviation business you might as well get used to going where the jobs are. At least until your senior and even that doesn't mean much. I know pilot with 17yrs who have been laid off and had to move!

Back