Frustrated and wanting to quit.

It is frustrating to hear about employees being treated so poorly in all levels of this industry. Just wanted to say good luck to you.

You won't get any encouragement from me to stay there.

Don't make any scenes, keep a low profile and when you can get out of there, book it.
Move out before the Chief FI has an excuse to fire you as he says he wants to. That won't look good on a resume.

I don't know if anybody is hiring in Canada but good luck to you.

I'll be honest I didn't read your whole post, it's late and I'm tired. But I will say this.

I went thru 3 flight schools as a CFI.

The first one I left after 4 months after I had to drive in and shovel airplanes out of the snow for no pay.

The second I left after the school was hit by a hurricane. However that was coincidental because I already had my bags packed. The pay was atrocious. It was a good school but unlivable pay-wise, and general lack of multi time.

The third I left because I was able to move up the food chain (regional). It was a good gig and a true 141 school with a connection to a regional airline. I'd recommend that instructing environment any day over the stand alone part 61 schools.

There are still plenty of good CFI jobs out there. If you're not logging hours, making money or having fun there is no reason to stay.

If I were you I would put together a resume and try to get another job lined up before I left.

Be Classy, Professional and calm. Put your squawks in writing and copy your Chief FI in your resignation letter. Sounds like this person has an inferiority complex and likes the "I'm the Big Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho around here" thing! Probably has no life and very small ones to boot. Anyway, nuff of that!

Use all the right words and sentences like, "I have enjoyed working here", "with a heavy heart", and all that.

Then: take a deep breath and walk. You don't need to be abused for $2100 in 6 months -Good Grief!

Oh - yes! Good Luck!!

Start looking for a new job now. Keep your head down and try to stay off the radar until you have something else lined up. Once that is accomplished turn your notice in, with all your problems, to the owners. Give a copy of that your the chief instructor too. In my opinion you never leave a job without notice. The chief instructor does not like you but if you leave professionally the owners might give you a recommendation.

I would very much sincerely like to thank everyone for the words of advice and encouragement, you all have no idea of how much it means to me.

After talking with my parents, I have decided that I will continue working here for time being while I finish my multi engine/instrument here as well (Parents are footing the bill for it and I am getting a staff discount), and once I have finished the 2 ratings, I will start looking for work elsewhere, and I am estimating a Early-Mid April completion of training. I will take all of your advice, I will especially take the advice of "Keep a low profile and find work somewhere else. Don't tell anyone there that you're looking. Don't threaten to leave. Don't argue with the boss. Don't try to prove to them how screwed up they are. Just go find another job." I will keep a low profile the next 2 months, be the utmost professional, continue being the best instructor I can, and move on to greener pastures.

Once again I thank you all for the advice and kind words.

M.

When I was a new student with less than 20 hours, my first stage check consisted of questions that I really would have no way of knowing. Red marks everwhere by the chief cfi. I felt that that flight school purposely dragged out training to make more money off you. Two years ago, that chief cfi flew with me as my first officer on the Brasilia. Let's just say he was more than nice while flying with me. I never once treated him differetly or "got back at him". Him being my fo was satisfying enough. Karmas a b I t c h!

Something to consider, I was hired at a company that wasn't hiring instructors much. The "leg up" I had was to do a rating there, and take a "mock checkride" with the chief instructor. Yes it was corny, and similar to buying a job, but it worked. I would imagine these days a lot of flight schools probably aren't hiring CFI's and you might want to hold out on doing a rating or two at the school you want to work at, they will typically give you preferential hiring.

From what I understand, there is a bit of an instructor shortage. Leave before he fires you, and also, it would help to do it cordially and in a non-confrontational way. Basically, give your boss a written and signed 2 weeks notice. You don't have to say you didn't like the Chief CFI. You don't have to give a reason. You can just simply say that you are informing them that you will be resigning your position at the company in two weeks, and that you will do everything you can to make the transition as smooth as possible for the company. Basically, a little bit of schmoozing that does nothing but makes you look professional.

I had a similar experience at one of the places I instructed at, only I didn't let it get as far as you did. I told the owner I intended to leave, then submitted my 2 weeks notice.

When I was a new student with less than 20 hours, my first stage check consisted of questions that I really would have no way of knowing. Red marks everwhere by the chief cfi. I felt that that flight school purposely dragged out training to make more money off you. Two years ago, that chief cfi flew with me as my first officer on the Brasilia. Let's just say he was more than nice while flying with me. I never once treated him differetly or "got back at him". Him being my fo was satisfying enough. Karmas a b I t c h!

Hi MRIVC,

you didn't happen to fly at SNA by any chance?

Back