From Air Force to Dispatch

yankin

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks while deciding if the dispatching world is for me. I am being medically retired from the Air Force after 15 years. All 15 years have been spent as an aircraft maintenance scheduler/planner. It is a job with alot of responsibility, heck I was one year out of basic training and standing in front of a full bird explaining what I was doing with HIS aircraft. I love the aircraft maintenace world but have always wanted to take a walk on the dark side, operations.

Hence the interest in aircraft dispatching. My GI bill will cover the tuition and my wife says go for it. Just a bit apprehensive due to my age, I will be 46 this year. Are most of the folks in the class under 30? I joined the AF quite late in life so am used to being the old man but this will be an entire career change for me.

I realize the pay is at the lower end of the scale for the first few years. I have my military pension to fill in the gap and a few bucks in the bank. Heck, I could go out and make $20 per hour starting pay as a aircraft maintenance scheduler which is always something to fall back on.

For those dispatchers who have been out in the career field for some time I have a question? Will my years in the aircraft maintenace scheduling field be a help or hinderance in getting hired?

Honestly, with your background, if you want to work in an airline's SOCC department I think you might be able to find a job pretty easily in maintenance control or something similar. Do you have an A&P license? Your career thus far is a natural fit for that, and you wouldn't be turning wrenches, you'd be in an office environment. This being said, if you want to make the switch into dispatch, you certainly can do so if you get your license. But if you already have an A&P already you might find a rewarding airline career doing something similar to what you're currently doing. Due to your age, I think it might be hard to get the necessary experience to get on with a major airline in dispatch...people have been hired over 50 into dispatch at my current carrier, but it's not super common. Depending upon who is currently hiring, though, with your military background, you could get hired right away in the maintenance department of a major carrier, I would think.

This is all my opinion, and I am not trying to discourage you from getting your dispatch license if that is what you desire. I just think the $$$ in your situation could be a lot better, especially initially, if you got an airline job doing something similar to your current job.
I was an avionics technician in the Air Force although for a far shorter time than you've been in...I never felt like it hurt me in getting a job, having that on my resume. I did have one or two interviewers ask me why I had gotten out of maintenance. I told them that I found the operations side more interesting, which is the truth in my case. However, maintenance control is still involved in the operations side of things, for instance if there is an in-flight maintenance situation they are brought on the line to discuss possible remedies and whether the flight can continue safely (the dispatcher is on the line also, of course.) Anyhow best of luck with your future career plans, and if dispatch is what you have your heart set on, I do like the job pretty well myself.

Manniax,

Appreciate the response. However, I do not have an A&P cert. The reason, we are maintenance schedulers, we do not fix jets We plan and schedule for the future. We do not turn wrench's and according to my wife I should never be allowed near any tools, powered or non powered.

All positions working in maintenance control require an A&P cert which is not a possibility for me. Understandable, if the pilot called me with a maintenance issue he would be SOL.

Now, there are government contractors who would pay me $20-$24 an hour to start. Money is not everything and like I said I always wanted to try the Ops side of the house.

OK, I understand better now. We do have aircraft routers and some other similar positions that don't require certification. I still would see if your current job translates to any type of airline job, but if you really like dispatch I doubt you'd have trouble finding a job with a regional. Just realize that you might have to make the regional a career destination, as I discussed before. Also, you would most likely have to move to wherever the airline's dispatch office was located. It is possible to commute as a dispatcher, but it is expensive to have a second place to live (even with a roomate) and non-revving all the time on your days off makes for a rather unpleasant lifestyle.

I have spent the last 5 years living in Europe and have no ties in the States. Relocating has been part of my life for the last 15 years. I have no great expectations of moving up to the large airlines. There is no shame in playing AAA ball for a career.

What does concern me is being the oldest (gramps) student and possibly not being able to keep up academically.

OK, I understand better now. We do have aircraft routers and some other similar positions that don't require certification. I still would see if your current job translates to any type of airline job, but if you really like dispatch I doubt you'd have trouble finding a job with a regional. Just realize that you might have to make the regional a career destination, as I discussed before. Also, you would most likely have to move to wherever the airline's dispatch office was located. It is possible to commute as a dispatcher, but it is expensive to have a second place to live (even with a roomate) and non-revving all the time on your days off makes for a rather unpleasant lifestyle.

Agree with manniax. At FX the schedulers also route too. At least anyone hired in now has to do both. If you are willing to move to Memphis jobs come available quite often now since most of the planners/schedulers are moving into maintenance control or going out to the line or hanger. Since you do have that maintenance scheduling experience you might have a good chance of getting a job here if you wanted one. They usually have been hiring A@P's for that job but it is not required if you have experience to offset that which you do. Actually they would be money ahead if they hired a non A@P since they would be more apt to stay in that job. Money is good more than you would make as new dispatcher thats for sure. The downside is Memphis. If you can stomach living here it is a good gig. You can PM me for more details if you wish. Good luck..

Back