Free CFI...What Would You Do?

A320_DUDE

I got an interesting offer today and while my first instinct is to say "Hell Yes", I'm not sure if it will be that great of an idea.

I was hanging around the breakroom today when our Union President came in. We got to talking about our ongoing contract negotaions and eventually the topic turned to flight training. I told him that I checked out some FBOs in the area and had not found the right one yet and that I was still driving back to Hartford once a week to take lessons that were not really going anywhere. He then offered to become my CFI (at least though my PVT) and I would only have to pay for fuel (he owns a 172). He's a pretty good pilot,ex-ACA/flyI and I was with him during "revenue week"(our version of IOE), and we had a good time and he is a patient teacher. The only down side of this is that if this deal goes south then I might find myself getting screwed at work because he is our "el Presidente". I don't think he's that type,but you never know.

So what would you guys do?

The main problem I've heard with people taking pro-bono cfi offers is that the instructor will get busy and not be able to meet as often as the student would like.

Then how do you complain about a guy doing you a favor. If that all makes any sense.

I got an interesting offer today and while my first instinct is to say "Hell Yes", I'm not sure if it will be that great of an idea.

I was hanging around the breakroom today when our Union President came in. We got to talking about our ongoing contract negotaions and eventually the topic turned to flight training. I told him that I checked out some FBOs in the area and had not found the right one yet and that I was still driving back to Hartford once a week to take lessons that were not really going anywhere. He then offered to become my CFI (at least though my PVT) and I would only have to pay for fuel (he owns a 172). He's a pretty good pilot,ex-ACA/flyI and I was with him during "revenue week"(our version of IOE), and we had a good time and he is a patient teacher. The only down side of this is that if this deal goes south then I might find myself getting screwed at work because he is our "el Presidente". I don't think he's that type,but you never know.

I'd go for it. Even if you don't complete a rating with him, it's always good to fly with different and experienced people. Maybe offer to pay him for his time though. That will help make sure he stays on task if he's teaching you to fly.

I would go for it also, but I might offer some sort of pay maybe 30-40 an hour, you would still save a killing but you would have reason to complain if he starts standing you up. Not to mention it would give him more incentive to show up, unless the guys got millions anyways then I guess there isn't much of a point.

Sounds like a great opportunity to me. I'd take him up on his offer. Just keep in mind that when you are in the plane together, he has to be the instructor and you have to be the student.

I have thought about giving lessons for free in order to get some hours, but I feel I would be hurting the other CFI's out there trying to make a living.

From the student's perspective--jump on it.
From the CFI perspective--i dunno.

b.

He then offered to become my CFI (at least though my PVT) and I would only have to pay for fuel (he owns a 172). He's a pretty good pilot,ex-ACA/flyI and I was with him during "revenue week"(our version of IOE), and we had a good time and he is a patient teacher. The only down side of this is that if this deal goes south then I might find myself getting screwed at work because he is our "el Presidente". I don't think he's that type,but you never know.

Pay for fuel?? Sounds like a good deal to me. But at the end of the day, you have to solo, and more than once. In his baby??? Might be a way to have 150 hrs before your ready for the checkride. On the other hand, he may want to fly it, and see a way to pay for the gas.

I would ask him about it... Good luck, if it works out, it is a good deal. Sometimes people wanna take you under their wing. If he is sincere, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but be wary.

I have a talk with every new student I fly with, that deals with how they can ask for a different instructor if they don't like the way I teach or what to do if they decide flying isn't what they thought it would be. In your case, I'd encourage you to take the lead and tell him that you really appreciate his offer, but if it turns out to be more than he can handle to let you know. That way you lay the ground rules before you get started, and if it turns out that it doesn't really work for you either, then you can bow out gracefully.

Either way, make sure that you don't let this familiarity with the boss creep into the office. Redouble your efforts at work to be as productive as you can be.

If he seems like a cool guy then go for it. I'd probably pass on a few extra schillings if everything goes ok too, just for the effort. Although if you pass he is one student closer to his quota.

The ex-pro pilot in me screams don't do it because you'll be taking billable hours from someone else who really needs them. The ex-pro also says its probably better to learn your fundamentals from someone who teaches day in and day out than from someone who passed the CFI cert when he was collecting ratings.*

HOWEVER...

The business man in me knows that every company has a good list and a bad list. It's always better to be on the good list. Having a shared outside interest such as aviation with a member of executive management is an excellent way to get yourself on the good list. IOW, if you mention that you're learning to fly and the company president says I'll teach you to fly in my plane and you only have to pay for gas, your only question should be when do we start.

*I have no way of knowing if company president in question is a ratings collector or not. And I have no desire to start burned out CFI's suck flame war. But the fact remains that if one's main job is being a company president then chances are, being a company president is what they'll be really good at. Likewise if one's main job is teaching people to fly, then teaching people to fly probably what they're going to be really good at.

Well after thinking it over I think I'm gonna go for it. I do think I'll have a talk with him and lay out what are the ground rules are gonna be.

I think I will at least pay him 35-40 bucks an hour, I figure I'll still come out ahead cost wise. That way I won't feel bad about taking up his time as he is a part-time CFI on his days off.

He seems to be sincere, however I do think being a regular line run driver,plus being our union president is not gonna leave him much time but I will at least try it out.

Thanks guys! :)

I have thought about giving lessons for free in order to get some hours, but I feel I would be hurting the other CFI's out there trying to make a living.

I don't believe this guy is trying to get some hours exactly. I believe it is on the lines of teaching a family member how to fly!

I have a talk with every new student I fly with, that deals with how they can ask for a different instructor if they don't like the way I teach or what to do if they decide flying isn't what they thought it would be. In your case, I'd encourage you to take the lead and tell him that you really appreciate his offer, but if it turns out to be more than he can handle to let you know. That way you lay the ground rules before you get started, and if it turns out that it doesn't really work for you either, then you can bow out gracefully.

Either way, make sure that you don't let this familiarity with the boss creep into the office. Redouble your efforts at work to be as productive as you can be.

:yeahthat:

b.

Well after thinking it over I think I'm gonna go for it. I do think I'll have a talk with him and lay out what are the ground rules are gonna be.

I think I will at least pay him 35-40 bucks an hour, I figure I'll still come out ahead cost wise. That way I won't feel bad about taking up his time as he is a part-time CFI on his days off.

He seems to be sincere, however I do think being a regular line run driver,plus being our union president is not gonna leave him much time but I will at least try it out.

Thanks guys! :)

He could be a CFI who is trying to keep his chops up--don't discount his desire to provide a quality service and maintain that part of his self. For some , its the beauty of the profession; if that is his motivation, you have a gem on your hands. enjoy.

b.

So let me get this straight since no one else picked up on it:

A union President is offering to work for free.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in that?

The main problem I've heard with people taking pro-bono cfi offers is that the instructor will get busy and not be able to meet as often as the student would like.

Then how do you complain about a guy doing you a favor. If that all makes any sense.

+1. You get what you pay for. At some point other commitments will supersede him doing you a favor.

Back