Free CFI...What Would You Do?

Paying just for fuel doesn't cover his other real expenses- maintenance, hangar, insurance.
The minimum I would consider is get your own renter's insurance policy.
Been known to pay off,....

Its a generous offer. Do what you can with him. offering to pay him, or offset his insurance is a good thing to do, but if he turns it down, so be it. I also would make sure that if it isn't working at the pace you would like you move elsewhere. He should definately understand.

Go for it.. one person CFI'ing for free will do nothing to stop this industry from self destructing

So let me get this straight since no one else picked up on it:

A union President is offering to work for free.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in that?
I don't really see the hypocrisy. I mean to me it sounds like he isn't working so much as just part time "hobbying." Doesn't seem like his lively hood is coming from flying.

Dirty minded example. Just because I like to enjoy the company of young ladies on the weekend, doesn't mean I should be charging them for my time since there are people who DO charge for that specific "Service."

I got an interesting offer today and while my first instinct is to say "Hell Yes", I'm not sure if it will be that great of an idea.

I was hanging around the breakroom today when our Union President came in. We got to talking about our ongoing contract negotaions and eventually the topic turned to flight training. I told him that I checked out some FBOs in the area and had not found the right one yet and that I was still driving back to Hartford once a week to take lessons that were not really going anywhere. He then offered to become my CFI (at least though my PVT) and I would only have to pay for fuel (he owns a 172). He's a pretty good pilot,ex-ACA/flyI and I was with him during "revenue week"(our version of IOE), and we had a good time and he is a patient teacher. The only down side of this is that if this deal goes south then I might find myself getting screwed at work because he is our "el Presidente". I don't think he's that type,but you never know.

So what would you guys do?

just remember, in life, you get what you pay for.

Just make sure his insurance covers you both while he's giving dual and you while solo. Plus, buy your own renter's insurance.

Back