Fort Myers Emergency

thewaffles

We use the same in-range frequency as Ft. Myers, for our company, just heard over the radio that they're not accepting arrivals due to a King Air circling the field, apparently the pilot died and they're trying to get a passenger to land it...

Update:
The plane has landed safely and emergency crews are on scene in case of injuries, according to Lee County Port Authority spokeswoman Vicki Moreland.

One of the passengers on the plane was also a pilot and was able to take control of the plane.

Stay tuned for more updates on this developing story.
http://www.news-press.com/article/20090412/NEWS01/90412014/1075

We use the same in-range frequency as Ft. Myers, for our company, just heard over the radio that they're not accepting arrivals due to a King Air circling the field, apparently the pilot died and they're trying to get a passenger to land it...

Really? That sucks. That'd be a little too scary for me were I a non-pilot passenger.

And from the article, what's a king air 55?

I have the day off today but the past month RSW and even FMY have been very difficult to get practice approaches in. Couple of weeks ago they canceled my practice approach due to an inbound emergency, it is quite frequent. Well looks like a passenger got to live out his dream, sorry to hear about the pilot though.

I can't believe this isn't all over the news. The dude that landed the plane must have a stink-eye or something.:sarcasm:

Attachments

• e908830ea81db0fc.jpg
    e908830ea81db0fc.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 439
I fly into RSW all the time! My parents got a Florida house down there.

Anyways... This is a testament to just how important having more than one pilot in any given plane is.

If there's any pictures anywhere, and you see a DL 88 in the background, that was Bill's plane :)

They didn't see anything, the jetbridge was in the way, but they were listening and heard the whole thing on the radios.

Yeah, I was kind of shocked to hear it when one of our flights was talking to our RSW crew about it...

FORT MYERS: The pilot of a small plane died from cardiac arrest after an emergency landing on Sunday, according to paramedics on scene.

The landing took place at Southwest Florida International Airport.

Six people were on board a King Air 55 plane.

The flight was from Marco Island to Jackson Mississippi.

A passenger with a pilots licence was able to land the plane safely.
http://www.abc-7.com/articles/readnews.asp?articleid=28212&z=2

Assuming this is an SEL pilot, can this person log MEL time?

Great job to him/her and certainly a miracle someone on board could safely land the plane.

After the other dude checked out, he was!

Yeah, but like Mike said before, no drama that way.

I mean, you can have THE pilot die and actually have someone else that can actually fly the plane. C'mon now, where is the story in that? :rolleyes:

I think given the circumstances, the FAA would probably allow the 20 minutes of King Air time to be logged, if that pilot really wanted it.

Does anyone know the N#? I used to spend a lot of time in MKY and know a lot of the guys that came in and out of there in King Air 90s.

Edit:

N559DW, it is a King Air 200.

Alex.

Back