Fort Myers Emergency

RIP to the PIC.

Seems to me the ASEL certificated pilot should have the FAA upgrade his ASEL to AMEL simply based upon this incident. ;)

A real time emergency overcomes a checkride anytime.

would be nice if FAA gave him an honorary multi engine rating after this :D
I wonder, though, how old was the pilot and would that affect the current age policy (or medical checkups) on pilots.

Someone on CNN just called a King Air and "luxury craft".:crazy:

That hurts Kelvin! ;)

The King Air is the Rolls Royce of the sky!

Good job landing the plane, but I bet he had a harder time taxing the damn thing than flying it.

Assuming this is an SEL pilot, can this person log MEL time?

Ok, I'll be the one to be the • and say it:

You do realize asking that makes you look like a huge D-bag? Guy dies and you wonder if the other guy can get an extra hour or two into his logbook?!

Oh wait, it's turbine time so that makes it all better.:sarcasm:

Oy vey.

Good job to the guy for getting it down though.

Ok, I'll be the one to be the • and say it:

You do realize asking that makes you look like a huge D-bag? Guy dies and you wonder if the other guy can get an extra hour or two into his logbook?!

Oh wait, it's turbine time so that makes it all better.:sarcasm:

Oy vey.

Good job to the guy for getting it down though.

No, it doesn't make him a D-bag. His question doesn't disrespect the unfortuante outcome the PIC's family now face, and it isn't about logging turbine time; but it is a good question that would make someone test their knowledge of the FARs.

Good job Doug.
RIP Joe.

I'd assume no, since he's not multi-rated and wasn't receiving multi instruction. I suppose technically it's a violation of the FARs to act as PIC of a plane you're not rated in, but obviously the FAA is going to make an exception in a case like this.

I'd assume no, since he's not multi-rated and wasn't receiving multi instruction. I suppose technically it's a violation of the FARs to act as PIC of a plane you're not rated in, but obviously the FAA is going to make an exception in a case like this.

Even though he wasn't the original PIC, and due to the fact that the PIC was incapacitated, wouldn't the passenger be considered the PIC since he took the controls?

Part 135.19

(a) In an emergency involving the safety of persons or property, the certificate holder may deviate from the rules of this part relating to aircraft and equipment and weather minimums to the extent required to meet that emergency.

I would actually think that the time can be logged.

It is true, he is not multi rated and was not receiving instruction, so technically he should not have been in a situation where he was flying a multi engine aircraft as a PIC.

However, and it is a big however, due to unfortunate circumstances he was in fact the PIC of a multi-engine turbine, and that is not refutable. He should not have, normally, been flying this aircraft, but as fate has it he was.

As mentioned above, it is a violation of regs (Which, of course will never be pursued), but the flight time is absolute. You can't say that he didn't fly it, so I'm sure he can log it.

I really doubt that he is really concerned about it, however, given the circumstances.

Back