Former Alaska Airlines pilot who tried to shut down engines in-flight shares his story

There is a 1.5 hour documentary about all of this called “ Lie to Fly “ on FX right now. Its a good documentary and I can relate.

Know nothing about it personally, but this:

View attachment 79406

From a good friend who’s a self proclaimed drug expert and works in the cannabis industry:

View attachment 79408

The issue is someone who has underlying and untreated mental illness issues using dissociative drugs like mushrooms. The episode with Joe was the perfect storm:

He had an underlying mental health issue.

He had the perception that he would lose his job if he sought out help.

He never got any kind of legitimate treatment from what sounds like a growing issue.

He sought out help from friends at a gathering that likely reminded him of his friend who passed away.

Some one at that gathering gave him mushrooms.

Even worse everyone at that gathering let him get on the jumpseat of an airliner.

There is a lot of research about drugs like mushrooms causing effects similar to what it sounds like Joe experienced.

Copy pasta because I know no one will try and learn how using mushrooms one time can set off a mental health episode in vulnerable people.

“While short-term positive and negative mood changes are common with psychedelic and dissociative drugs, more research is needed to better understand the long-term effects these substances may have on mental health.

There is some evidence that psychedelic drugs might bring about or trigger schizophrenia-like illness in people with predisposing factors, but little evidence that they cause long-term psychiatric problems for most people. In a 1996 study where people with pre-existing psychoses were given LSD, three of 65 participants experienced persistent worsening of their psychiatric symptoms lasting 3-8 months.51

It sounds like he got a continuance or a reset, I don’t know what the term would be in federal court—essentially getting a lawyer to ask to delay the proceeding.

If he just didn’t appear, they’d arrest him.
Defendants in the federal system, evidently, have a right to be arraigned within 30 days. They've been kicking the arraignment down the road (by motion of the defendant and without objection from the United States Attorney assigned to the case) since Mr. Emerson's pre-trial release in December of 2023.

(source: the docket via PACER)

Defendants in the federal system, evidently, have a right to be arraigned within 30 days. They've been kicking the arraignment down the road (by motion of the defendant and without objection from the United States Attorney assigned to the case) since Mr. Emerson's pre-trial release in December of 2023.

(source: the docket via PACER)
Finish him!

Finish him!
I mean, I bet he gets a jail sentence of some sort from the Feds, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near as high as people expect (or even demand, for the chattering classes), for a bunch of reasons, some of them really quite good.

I took a look at Multnomah County just now and like I thought would happen the attempted murder counts are gone, and it's just a bunch of counts of recklessly endangering another person (misdemeanor) and a single count of the Oregonian offense of endangering an aircraft in the first degree (C felony). C Felonies in Oregon carry a maximum sentence of five years and $125k in fines.

Any word on passengers suing for distress? I hope he and his family don’t get crushed by civil suits.
Haven't paid much attention to the civil side of things here, but:
Now, an attorney for three of the passengers has filed a class-action lawsuit to force airlines to put their pilots through more rigorious preflight screenings. The suit names Emerson's employer at the time, Alaska Airlines.
Various and sundry outfits' pilot selection departments: cold sweat

I'm not sure I'd read it as hiring and selection vs fitness to fly? I've heard in some countries you do an alcohol breath test before flight. I know that wasn't the issue here. Not sure how you would test mental fitness to fly spur of the moment.

I'm not sure I'd read it as hiring and selection vs fitness to fly? I've heard in some countries you do an alcohol breath test before flight. I know that wasn't the issue here. Not sure how you would test mental fitness to fly spur of the moment.
Yeah I don't think you actually can do (with any real accuracy) what the Plaintiffs want. Fair point.

I doubt it. He was traveling on what sounds like a personal trip. Also, I think the flight originated out of PAE.
The doc has body cam video of his arrest. He was in his “incognito uniform” from the looks of it (i.e. Northface jacket and lanyard).

The doc has body cam video of his arrest. He was in his “incognito uniform” from the looks of it (i.e. Northface jacket and lanyard).

Yeah you've got to run the gauntlet of not being in uniform and making sure you're looking professional when all you want to do is go camping with friends.

Back