Forget 7E7's, CO is replacing 767's with ERJ's

CK

Forget 7E7\'s, CO is replacing 767\'s with ERJ\'s

HOUSTON, Jan. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Air Lines (NYSE: CAL - News) announced today it will be the first airline to offer its customers transatlantic and transpacific regional jet service, effective April 1. The new service will be operated using new, state-of-the-art Embraer ERJ-145XXR aircraft seating 50 passengers in a comfortable layout with no middle seats. Continental has placed an order for 100 of the new aircraft, which will be delivered at a rate of six per month, replacing older 767 and 777 equipment on service to Europe from the convenient gateways of Newark-Liberty International and Houston-George Bush Intercontinental. The first route for the new aircraft will be from Newark to London-Gatwick, followed by Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam. Starting in September, the Embraers will replace 777 aircraft on Continental's routes to Tokyo and Hong Kong.
"We have been very pleased with the comfort and reliability of Embraer's regional jets here in North America, and are looking forward to building on our success by expanding the service throughout our global network," said Gordon Bethune, Continental's chief executive officer. "We are excited to be the U.S. launch customer for the ERJ-145XXR, and although the 767 and 777 have served us well, the regional jet is clearly the way of the future here at Continental."

Re: Forget 7E7\'s, CO is replacing 767\'s with ERJ\'s

LOL!
smile.gif
You can already fly EWR- Oklahoma City in an ERJ, that seems like a really long time to me.

I can't imagine being a passenger on an RJ on a transatlantic flight. I have been on one and it is alright for short flights but there is no way I would want to spend six hours as a passenger on one when I can fly on another airline and be comfortable in a 767, 747, or 777.

Interesting that they are choosing that.

I flew Continental Express EWR - AGS (Augusta,GA) last April, that was quite a haul for me on the ERJ145. I wouldn't want to do it again. It will be interesting to see them transatlantic.

I think it all boils down to empty seats, or full ones as the case may be. I also think we are going to see more and more of this kind of thing, along with other ideas that stray from what we are used to. Obviously the majority of carriers arent making it, and they are trying different things to see what works. I guess Im a little surprised that it hasnt happened before now.

Actually most long flights I've been on are usually fairly full, the problem is with Europe and Hawaii flights they are usually filled with vacationers, thus they are full planes but low yield with cheap fares and frequent fliers. TWA used to fly a 747 from STL to HNL. That flight was ALWAYS full, but at the same time it was always a looser in the way of revenue, because it would be full with cheap vacation fairs, and always the maximum allowable frequent flier seats.

Ok is this going to be Continental or continental express carriers? I mean is it possible for a new hire on a regional jet to go right into flying international flights? What do you guys think the pay will be like, (same as ERJ pilots pilots now?)

Yep, it was at a.net, I just found out. Opps
smirk.gif

Heh. Its not a hard one to believe. Nothing really surprises me anymore.

This was pretty funny
smile.gif
....I can't imagine Continental doing such a thing, I don't really think alot of people are going to be too thrilled flying an ERJ from EWR to ZRH, or IAH to NRT.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys!!! Its a JOKE!!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea figured something was amiss.

Matthew

Hey Citationkid, you might want to put a whole bunch of smileys in there next time. Some people didn't seem to get the joke.

grin.gif

I didn't know it was a joke
smirk.gif

Do not take A.net as a news source -A.net is just for pretty pictures!!!

I didn't get it off a.net, a guy at another forum got it off a.net and posted it at that forum. So I believed it.

I can't believe so many of you guys fell for that!
grin.gif
ERJs don't have nearly the range to fly from New York to Europe, let alone Houston!

I always thought that if they could make a RJ that had transatlantic range, and be comftorable, It might actually be usefull. Imagine being able to fly from Hartford to Manchester nonstop!

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe so many of you guys fell for that!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confused,
confused.gif
is this really a joke or truthful? Can someone give me a non-sarcastic answer? PLEASE!!

Please, guys could you really see Continental replacing each of these babies

Continental 777

with several smaller

Continental EJR 145

for trans-international flights??? LOL???

If they did this A) it would not be economical to do so, and B) it would be the end of them!!!!!!!!!

Most of what comes from a.net is pure BS anyway!!!

Back