For those that can't WAIT for OKC

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!

East coaster, never seen a tornado. They look terrifying! What do you do if you're in class and one of those warnings comes up?

Go outside with your phone and video tape it. I love Tornados:rawk:

Oh crap, what do you do with your cars in the hail?

Should I get an apartment with covered parking?

I have a 2007 car that is in good shape other than that the roof is a little dented from a big tree branch that fell on it.

Just lower your deductible to $250, one way or another you car is going to get pounded by hail or broken into while staying in the ghetto

I'm not really worried about tornadoes, I'm used to some pretty kick-ass wind. What I will be more concerned about (and with my luck this will be exactly the time i'm in OKC..assuming I get hired, haha) are the ice storms I keep hearing about. I hate ice.
You mean like this:

Attachments

• P0000609.jpg
    P0000609.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 88
actually the storm hit sunday night. friday morning it was a cat 1 that passed over florida and should have dissipated. no one knew it would explode into a cat4 by mid-day saturday. so literally speaking, it did wake people up in the middle of the night unaware.

but anyway there was a mandatory evacuation of new orleans. and the people that stayed there werent the sharpest tools around. but then most of the damage to NO were the levees that broke days later not the actual storm itself... *shrug* most of those people live in houston now:buck:

I thought the warm water of the gulf is the one thing that can make these storms explode rather quickly. I'm not sure anyone thought it would dissipate once making it to the gulf. N.O. was in the "cone of confusion" for a few days before it hit, and if you live in a city that is below sea level that would tell me to get the F out of there. I understand what your saying, they say its going one way and it goes the other when it comes down to it. I was in Wilma later that season and it was supposed to hit miami, instead it went right over where I was (west palm / broward county line). However, living in the gulf and dealing with these storms year after year, one should know that it could turn and head right for you. No one woke up shocked saturday morning when the path and intensity had changed. More like the worst possibility was coming true. Then had a day and a half notice that it was indeed coming right for them. Way more notice than a tornado.

So I live in California and in my LIFETIME (!) there have been less than half a dozen earthquakes that have caused a death and even then maybe just one. Sure they are unpredictable, but your chance of dying in one is slim. In reality, they are generally pretty fun, if I am lucky enough to not be sleeping.

I would really hate if I had to deal with disasters that came year after year. That just ups your chances. Most people can dodge earthquake damage their whole life, but if you live in tornado or hurricane country then chances are you or someone you know has been touched by it.

The actual problem that we face in California is forest fires, but since I'm not and IDIOT who built my $3 mil home in the dry brush hills, I don't have to worry about that.

Having forewarning is fine and dandy, but the devastation in New Orleans was a product of people not being able to leave. That's right, poor people without the means to evacuate and a government that literally locked up and failed to mobilize.

But I've got to look back a few hundred years and say that the people who decided that draining a swamp that had seasonal floods to build their city there were as stupid and the rich people who live in the California hills.

But I've got to look back a few hundred years and say that the people who decided that draining a swamp that had seasonal floods to build their city there were as stupid and the rich people who live in the California hills.[/quote]

aaaamen

darn those spanish!!! or was it the french?

Every cities got something to kill ya! Earthquakes in CA, tornadoes in TX, floods in MS, NY is the target of crazed terrorists like 24/7, FL's got killer storms, WI's got deadly temperatures, HI's got volcanoes, NV's got Wayne Newton...

Back