For the would be Chechakos

Not at all.

I'm 20, so I'm kinda shafted for captain gigs at a lot of places, I figure I'll finish college a year from now or so, then go to the bush for a year, then head down to fly boxes, or go the RJ route. I'm kind of tired of living in Alaska (I was born up here), and want to leave in a big way, but the economy sucks so much right now, that'd be better we're I to sit tight and fly the sled, then maybe do a stint in the sled in the sticks, or fly floats or something to pay off student loans when I finish college. I might get out of flying, who knows? Right now its fun though.

I want to work someplace where I can fly a lot of different airframes (big or small doesn't matter), and that goes to a lot of different places. Where that place is I have no idea, but as soon as I find them, I'll jump right on board. That being said, if I'm unable to do that for whatever reason, the airlines I'd like to work for would be Hawaiian, or someplace where I can be based in HNL, KOA, or otherwise. I love it out there.

That's tight dude. Have you checked out Pacific Wings down in Hawai'i? I don't know if I'd want to go down there (I'm doing a bit of research as I'm typing this), but things do seem to be getting a little bit better.

That's tight dude. Have you checked out Pacific Wings down in Hawai'i? I don't know if I'd want to go down there (I'm doing a bit of research as I'm typing this), but things do seem to be getting a little bit better.

I went to Mokulele and got the shaft, I'm not about to do the same thing until I've put away a little more money after school is done. PacWings wouldn't be a bad move for me though. I'd be down, though they are notorious. I was thinking trying to get on at Corporate Air there, or with Alpine Air. If Alpine would bring on board, I'd leave right now, but they aren't hiring for Hawaii. Shame. I'm leaning going Canuck and heading off to Kenn Borek when I finish college, that'd be fun too, and I might end up in the Maldives.

I want to work someplace where I can fly a lot of different airframes (big or small doesn't matter), and that goes to a lot of different places.

Random announcement: Ppragman helped me out a ton when I was looking to move to Alaska. I think he's either a great guy or is just bored out of his mind. Thanks for another sweet post. Man I wish I could head up there for a few years...

Pat - Have you looked into flying for the forestry service? A guy at my unit in SLC has a firefighting gig that sounds freaking sweet...He flies Barons, DC-3s, Kingairs, occasionally a citation, and I think he mentioned some other birds. I don't know that it will get you to that many places, but you'll see plenty of NW CONUS. It's pretty seasonal too, so you'd have all sorts of time in the winter to do whatever.

Curious why you didn't post anything about ACE? Are they not hiring?

To low timers: There are some pretty cool schools in Anchorage and I assume elsewhere to get your foot in the door. My top choice would have been the Elmendorf Aero Club based on their birds and my fantasy of sharing the pattern with Raptors. Pat, Tallflyer, and others can give you the low down on that stuff I'm sure.

From a guy that's only been there in the summer (and thus recommends a major grain of salt), Alaska freaking rocks and is about the coolest place you will ever fly.

Once I get done with my training and college, I really want to look into this.

I guess the only thing that's holding me back is being so far from home (but then again I won't exactly be close chasing down any other jobs) and just like knowing how to live there (cause I would have to imagine way of life is at least somewhat different from Texas).

Random announcement: Ppragman helped me out a ton when I was looking to move to Alaska. I think he's either a great guy or is just bored out of his mind. Thanks for another sweet post. Man I wish I could head up there for a few years...

Pat - Have you looked into flying for the forestry service? A guy at my unit in SLC has a firefighting gig that sounds freaking sweet...He flies Barons, DC-3s, Kingairs, occasionally a citation, and I think he mentioned some other birds. I don't know that it will get you to that many places, but you'll see plenty of NW CONUS. It's pretty seasonal too, so you'd have all sorts of time in the winter to do whatever.

Curious why you didn't post anything about ACE? Are they not hiring?

To low timers: There are some pretty cool schools in Anchorage and I assume elsewhere to get your foot in the door. My top choice would have been the Elmendorf Aero Club based on their birds and my fantasy of sharing the pattern with Raptors. Pat, Tallflyer, and others can give you the low down on that stuff I'm sure.

From a guy that's only been there in the summer (and thus recommends a major grain of salt), Alaska freaking rocks and is about the coolest place you will ever fly.

Hey man, that means a lot to me man, thanks a bunch. I didn't see you posted this earlier, this made my day.

As for ACE, they're hiring, I thought I mentioned them up there maybe not. ACE is bootleg as can be, get ready to make it in. But, you'll fly a lot, and learn even more (I flew 133 hrs last january and I flew less than anyone). It is a great place to live and work, even my job which consists of going back and for (today 6 times) to the same two places is fun, and lucrative. The only reason I want to leave is for a change in scenery and maybe to fly something different. That's it, otherwise its about the coolest place to live and work.

I should also add that Wings of Alaska is under new ownership. So far nothing has changed, and I dont expect anything to change. But just a heads up.

The new owner is a company out of Portland, and they operate Pilatus PC-12s between PDX and BFI.

Seeing as ACE is the place being focused on, here are two shots of one of ACE's beautiful B1900C's from the last time or two they bootlegged it through 7KA.

472650835_yZNZU-M.jpg

472787089_wFZiY-M.jpg

I should also add that Wings of Alaska is under new ownership. So far nothing has changed, and I dont expect anything to change. But just a heads up.

The new owner is a company out of Portland, and they operate Pilatus PC-12s between PDX and BFI.

The company out of portland is essentially run by ex-mokulele pilots, not sure if that's good or not.

Can you live off the ACE FO pay in that part of the country and do the FO's have to load/unload the freight (swore to myself I'd never do that again)?

Can you live off the ACE FO pay in that part of the country and do the FO's have to load/unload the freight (swore to myself I'd never do that again)?
From what I understand the FOs do load and unload and even get paid extra for it, I think. You'll also fuel.

Pay is $25 a flight hour which is you fly as much as Pat says is certainly livable in ANC.

Let me tell you the best advice I could ever give a fellow pilot, or human for that matter, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GO TO PACIFIC WINGS.....EVER.

I did research and saw how bad they were. I chose to go out and give it a try as a Captain. I got 350 TPIC out of it but it was emotional torture. I am not joking or exaggerating what so ever. All the posts on the Internet could not ever come close in describing what is Pacific Wings. The only word that accurately depicts what all the pilots that worked at Pacific Wings went/ goes through is emotional torture. Do some research on APC regarding what recently happen (I was one of the 10+ pilots btw).

Friends don't let friends go to PW, neither do enemy's for that matter! LOL

Anyways hijack completed.......

Great thread guys! Is ACE mins still around 1000tt? I haven't considered them as a starting place b/c of their mins posted on their website. Although, their flights look like a ton of fun and experience. Pat I'll try and give you a ring later, it's been pretty crazy down here in CO.

Yes you can live off of ACE FO pay, but FOs do have to unload at outstations, and fuel the aircraft before flight. That sucks. The upside is that you'll upgrade in 5 months if you've already got 3000TT. (Upgrade mins are 2000TT, 1000 in type or 3000TT and 500 in type). To be specific, FOs make $25/hr and expect to fly at least 1200-1300 paid hrs in a year (not that it will take you that long to upgrade). Starting Captain pay is $50/hr with $2 increases per year until $60. As a captain you'll fly just as much, so you can expect to make at least $60,000 your first year, maybe closer to $65,000.

Great thread guys! Is ACE mins still around 1000tt? I haven't considered them as a starting place b/c of their mins posted on their website. Although, their flights look like a ton of fun and experience. Pat I'll try and give you a ring later, it's been pretty crazy down here in CO.

All you need is 250TT, and a multi commercial. I got on with 500TT, and others got on with less.

When the ACE guys come to Tatitlek, they unload and load everything from full fuel drums, full caskets, loader tires, down to single envelopes ~ all by hand. Coolest load I've seen them bring through yet was a live Grizzly. In a cage of course.

I only know how my little community works, but I bet it is the same through out the rest of the bush, as Pat said, there is no line crew. It's all you! flying the plane is only a part of what you are doing.

I guess the only thing that's holding me back is being so far from home (but then again I won't exactly be close chasing down any other jobs) and just like knowing how to live there (cause I would have to imagine way of life is at least somewhat different from Texas).

Most of these guys have pretty good jumpseat privileges. You'd be able to make it home often enough.

Dude, your avatar freaking rocks!

Agreed. If I were mavsfan, I'd be more concerned about leaving the Texas "scenery."

Do you know if JP Air in Bethel has a website? I couldn't find one. Great post by the way. You seem to be our local expert on Alaska. I've thought about it before, but until I got furloughed I wasn't as serious about it. Now I'm willing to fly in Timbuktu!

I can vouch that those Alaska Central Express guys have lots of hair on their balls. I've seen them land here in some pretty ###### weather, while Alaska Airlines overheaded.

PPragman, doesn't ACE start off each day at like 4 in the morning?

ACE guys that come here start at 2 am.

ppragman wrote up a great summation of life over at ACE, including start times and the like. I printed myself a copy out a few months back, and just spent 10 minutes trying to find the thread for you to no avail. Maybe someone else knows where it is living at JC.

Back