For the would be Chechakos

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
I know a lot of you are furloughed or broke, and looking for a way out. Well, here's the scoop on Alaska. Right now, the economy even up here is starting to slow down. However, these are your best bets:

Hageland Aviation Services
They fly 207s, Caravans, Navajos, 406s, 1900s, and more out in the sticks. Good job, starting pay in the left seat of the 207 is $200/day, plus some hourly wage if you bust 60hrs in a month. Cass.

Frontier Flying Service
They are actually combined with Hageland, but operating under different certs. They fly Beech 1900s, Navajos, and I think they've still got a couple of sleds around somewhere. Not sure on the pay. Cass.

Alaska Central Express
They fly part 135 Cargo, and pax charter, Beech 1900s. The pay starts at $25/hr in the right seat, and goes up to $50 after you upgrade, upgrade mins are 2000TT, 1000Type, or 3000TT and 500 in type, and to be on the good side of the CP (who's actually a pretty cool, and likeable guy, if not sometimes gruff). Good place to work, some pretty extreme flying. Gravel strips in the Hondo, and very very very ###### weather. I flew here last winter. Not Cass, limited non-rev privaleges.

Grant Aviation
They fly part 135 caravans/sleds/navajos/one kingair in the bush and in Anchorage, they pay $150/day and $20/hr (I think) for starting pay in the sled. Decent pay, and an excellent job, the schedule is 20-on 10-off, regardless of whether you're in town or not. Not Cass. This or hageland is where I'll probably go when I finish college.

There are a few others, Warbelowes, Wrights, Aero Air, Guardian Flight, and then scores of Mom and Pop operators, JP Air in Bethel pays $6000/month from what I understand, but you have to live in bethel.

In south east Alaska, Wings of Alaska is hiring into the 207 and the Caravan, its seasonal though. THere are also numerous float operators in south east if you've got a SES on your ticket. The best of which appears to be Promech (which supposedly pays $450/day, though that's just heresay) and Alaska Seaplanes, which is supposed to just be a good place to work.

Further, there are some seasonal tour operators that operate out of Talkeetna (PATK) that are pretty cool gigs, and some more difficult to get jobs like Bering Air (supposedly the holy grail of AK jobs after Conoco Phillips Shared Services).

As for mins. For a PIC slot, you'll need at least 1500TT to get into the 207 if you don't have any Alaska time, or else you'd need 1000TT and most of it AK time. Don't count on jumping into a a navajo or anything like you could down south. A company needs to trust you, and 2000TT doesn't really cut it unless they've known you for a while. That being said, if you get on board, expect the flying to be challenging enough day in and day out. I've got 2000TT and have an incredibly benign job relatively speaking, and am still forced to make some really difficult dicisions because the opSpecs and operations up here as well as weather are about as vague as it gets.

The flying up here is fun, but there are a lot of people scud running, going VFR through IMC (don't be surprised if you're flying along and a Caravan pops out of the mist above you), and other stuff. Also, some operators aren't so legit in how they treat their pilots. Some will try to get you to fly in bad wx, or with ####ed up loads, try not to do that, and pay attention. Its not really right, but it happens. I don't do that #### because I don't want to get violated, but there are guys who just don't give a damn, and would welcome a 30 day vacation anyway. Plus, be advised, you're no longer just a pilot, you're providing a service. You're not just a taxi driver, you're a guidance councellor, and you'll know many of your passengers by face name, and whose cousins are whose after a couple of months. You're the sole way that these people can get food, supplies, school books, newspapers, etc. With that in mind, don't push it, but fly to the limit and no less. At a VFR operator you'll get 500' CX and 2 miles of Vis, or 1 mile vis, and 1000' CX.

Instrument approaches in the bush are practically useless in many cases, as places often don't have minima low enough to make it in. Count on driving the 207 up and down the river at 500AGL often. You'll be well acquainted with phrases like, "Tuluksak Traffic, Hageland 3GV's 10 down river, inbound landing Tuluksak." Its just the way it is. But don't worry, out west there's not much to hit.

-Pat

Dude! Don't give away all our secrets until I get back this summer and get a job yo!

Anyways, to add:

Hageland Aviation Services
They fly 207s, Caravans, Navajos, 406s, 1900s, and more out in the sticks. Good job, starting pay in the left seat of the 207 is $200/day, plus some hourly wage if you bust 60hrs in a month. Cass.
Expect two years in the 207 before you make it to the Caravan, expect a lot longer than that to make it to the 406. 1900s are now all on the Frontier certificate, and I think Frontier's Navajos are migrating to the Hageland cert. Very wild party life in the BET pilot house. Lots of native women coming in at all hours of the night sometimes making it necessary to call the cops.

Frontier Flying Service
They are actually combined with Hageland, but operating under different certs. They fly Beech 1900s, Navajos, and I think they've still got a couple of sleds around somewhere. Not sure on the pay. Cass.
All 1900s and Navajos, no sleds. Actually not CASS, because the owner doesn't want his pilots networking. Week on, week off schedule, pay similar to ACE.

Alaska Central Express
They fly part 135 Cargo, and pax charter, Beech 1900s. The pay starts at $25/hr in the right seat, and goes up to $50 after you upgrade, upgrade mins are 2000TT, 1000Type, or 3000TT and 500 in type, and to be on the good side of the CP (who's actually a pretty cool, and likeable guy, if not sometimes gruff). Good place to work, some pretty extreme flying. Gravel strips in the Hondo, and very very very ###### weather. I flew here last winter. Not Cass, limited non-rev privaleges.
Nothing to add except that I hope this is my next gig. Nobody better take my slot, but if you do apparently they will work you enough to where you will soon quit and I'll get in anyway.

Grant Aviation
They fly part 135 caravans/sleds/navajos/one kingair in the bush and in Anchorage, they pay $150/day and $20/hr (I think) for starting pay in the sled. Decent pay, and an excellent job, the schedule is 20-on 10-off, regardless of whether you're in town or not. Not Cass. This or hageland is where I'll probably go when I finish college.
The best CP I've worked for so far in my short career. Very laid back pilot house atmosphere in BET. Will accommodate a 15/15 schedule if you ask.

There are a few others, Warbelowes, Wrights, Aero Air, Guardian Flight, and then scores of Mom and Pop operators, JP Air in Bethel pays $6000/month from what I understand, but you have to live in bethel.
Warbelows is a good gig out of FAI; hope you like the cold. I believe one of their pilots is on this board. Don't know anything about Wrights. Aero and Guardian are medevac jobs.

In south east Alaska, Wings of Alaska is hiring into the 207 and the Caravan, its seasonal though. THere are also numerous float operators in south east if you've got a SES on your ticket. The best of which appears to be Promech (which supposedly pays $450/day, though that's just heresay) and Alaska Seaplanes, which is supposed to just be a good place to work.
There are a few places in SE that will be getting my resume as well. Expect the WX to be really crappy but a lot of the operators have Capstone Phase II (Chelton EFIS w/ synthetic terrain) so that would be nice. One of the larger operators down there was just shut down by the FAA not too long ago so some of the other folks might be growing. Even if you have an SES on your ticket don't expect a job flying floats if you're not familiar with the area. A good way to do that would be fly a season or two for an outfit (like Wings) that has both and hope they like you enough so that you can make a lateral move sometime down the road.

Further, there are some seasonal tour operators that operate out of Talkeetna (PATK) that are pretty cool gigs, and some more difficult to get jobs like Bering Air (supposedly the holy grail of AK jobs after Conoco Phillips Shared Services).
Bering will be getting my resume anyway for a SIC position. If any of you have any high performance tailwheel time and you always wanted to land on a glacier I'm sure K2 would love to hear from you.

As for mins. For a PIC slot, you'll need at least 1500TT to get into the 207 if you don't have any Alaska time, or else you'd need 1000TT and most of it AK time. Don't count on jumping into a a navajo or anything like you could down south. A company needs to trust you, and 2000TT doesn't really cut it unless they've known you for a while. That being said, if you get on board, expect the flying to be challenging enough day in and day out. I've got 2000TT and have an incredibly benign job relatively speaking, and am still forced to make some really difficult dicisions because the opSpecs and operations up here as well as weather are about as vague as it gets.
Nothing much to add other than to say that simply mailing, emailing, or faxing your resume up will most likely do you no good. Your only chance is actually showing up in some CP's office and hope they have a need. Oh, and don't wear a suit.

"Tuluksak Traffic, Hageland 3GV's 10 down river, inbound landing Tuluksak." Its just the way it is.
Oddly enough, I have about 90 hours in 3GV and once hauled 5 loads of bypass to Tuluksak in one day.

But don't worry, out west there's not much to hit.
True statement. Scud running in some places out west is not a huge deal, whereas down in the lower 48 it really freaks me out.

Dude! Don't give away all our secrets until I get back this summer and get a job yo!

True statement. Scud running in some places out west is not a huge deal, whereas down in the lower 48 it really freaks me out.

On point one I concur with Tallflyer, I might get furloughed here soon and AK is my backup plan.

On # two I agree to a point but I "have a friend" who nearly killed his self taking off toward the trees in Tuluksak, "He" had to go to full flaps to clear them and a week later a 172 ate it in Tuluksak taking off toward the trees. Of course once you make it to 100agl you are in clear sailing

Anyways, to add:

Expect two years in the 207 before you make it to the Caravan, expect a lot longer than that to make it to the 406. 1900s are now all on the Frontier certificate, and I think Frontier's Navajos are migrating to the Hageland cert. Very wild party life in the BET pilot house. Lots of native women coming in at all hours of the night sometimes making it necessary to call the cops.

All 1900s and Navajos, no sleds. Actually not CASS, because the owner doesn't want his pilots networking. Week on, week off schedule, pay similar to ACE.

Nothing to add except that I hope this is my next gig. Nobody better take my slot, but if you do apparently they will work you enough to where you will soon quit and I'll get in anyway.

The best CP I've worked for so far in my short career. Very laid back pilot house atmosphere in BET. Will accommodate a 15/15 schedule if you ask.

Warbelows is a good gig out of FAI; hope you like the cold. I believe one of their pilots is on this board. Don't know anything about Wrights. Aero and Guardian are medevac jobs.

There are a few places in SE that will be getting my resume as well. Expect the WX to be really crappy but a lot of the operators have Capstone Phase II (Chelton EFIS w/ synthetic terrain) so that would be nice. One of the larger operators down there was just shut down by the FAA not too long ago so some of the other folks might be growing. Even if you have an SES on your ticket don't expect a job flying floats if you're not familiar with the area. A good way to do that would be fly a season or two for an outfit (like Wings) that has both and hope they like you enough so that you can make a lateral move sometime down the road.

Bering will be getting my resume anyway for a SIC position. If any of you have any high performance tailwheel time and you always wanted to land on a glacier I'm sure K2 would love to hear from you.

Nothing much to add other than to say that simply mailing, emailing, or faxing your resume up will most likely do you no good. Your only chance is actually showing up in some CP's office and hope they have a need. Oh, and don't wear a suit.

Oddly enough, I have about 90 hours in 3GV and once hauled 5 loads of bypass to Tuluksak in one day.

Frontier's not cass? I thought they were because they're owned by the same company. Also, I think you're right about the sleds, Frontier did have them in the past, not anymore. Hageland still has one Hondo. Two winters is probably a good estimate on the time for upgrade into the Van, maybe less. However the Hageland ground is full right now, unfortunately.

Ohh, and PenAir and Era are optiosn when they are hiring, word on the street is that PenAir will start hiring again in the summer because of the Saab 2000s. That's heresay though. Era's pay sucks, and I'd never work there, PenAir is a good gig though. Mesaba of the North.

interesting post. thanks for the info. although ive never seriously considered it, doing a season of flying in AK has always intrigued me.

Frontier's not cass? I thought they were because they're owned by the same company.
They are owned by the same company but still separate certs. Last time I heard any rumors about those two the merger was not going very well, but that was a while ago.

Ohh, and PenAir and Era are optiosn when they are hiring, word on the street is that PenAir will start hiring again in the summer because of the Saab 2000s. That's heresay though. Era's pay sucks, and I'd never work there, PenAir is a good gig though. Mesaba of the North.
At PenAir they are in the process of upgrading current 208 FOs to the 2000, assumin g they really do make it on property. They just hired one of my former coworkers to the 208 right seat and he's got 1,000 hours. There's a possibility of another class in the Fall. Upgrades are a LONG time, although pay gets OK in the right seat after a while.

I have a friend of mine who is in the right seat of the 1900 for Frontier, They just went Cass 2 weeks ago, good news for all of their pilots. I hear upgrade time is a little long to the left seat though, approx 3 to 4 years for frontier. Thats quite a while for such an easy aircraft. They are shipping some of there Navajos to Hageland, which is another good company to work for if you arent worried about multi and just trying to buld some total time. I went up there 2 years ago and flew for a summer, Logged over 600 hours and pay was enough to live on. Let me know if you guys need some contacts.

I reckon you and I are going to meet soon....although we are out of kilter at the moment. I'm already up here, but heading down there in 5 weeks for a 2 month course with CPS, after which I'll be heading back up, moving my butt, my family, and my dogs out of the Bush and camping out at ACE. I'd even load cargo and answer phones for them until they let me into the right seat if need be.

I'd do that because I'll be super low time coming back up from Outside with around 320 hours and newly inked Comm, Inst, and ME certs.

I know with times like that I'll probably be heading back to the Bush~ if I have to, I guess. Really don't want to though...that's where I am trying to escape from. Kinda sick of the lifestyle...those of you who've been in the Bush know what I mean.

On the other hand, I do call AK home and know of plenty 'o other ground pounding gigs around that pay alright and I own a C150 to keep on building time in cheaply, so I might do other stuff and hold out for one of those ACE gigs before agreeing to heading back out to a Vill.

I agree... I think those of us who call this place home ought to have a bit 'o preference. Life ain't easy up here, although I guess the premium already placed on AK time is preferential treatment enough.

There is probably something too to knowing first hand just how critical 135 ops are to folk around here as well as already knowing some of the village idioms and how to navigate socially in the Vills. Not to mention the idiosyncratic mountain maritime continental super cold weather we fly around in.

Anyhoo, as always, thanks Pat for the up to date info from the big town. It is always hard to glean what is going on in the city from out here.

Hey...rookie question...what is CASS?

ppragman- What are you career goals (if you don't mind me asking)? Do you always plan to stay up there?

Not at all.

I'm 20, so I'm kinda shafted for captain gigs at a lot of places, I figure I'll finish college a year from now or so, then go to the bush for a year, then head down to fly boxes, or go the RJ route. I'm kind of tired of living in Alaska (I was born up here), and want to leave in a big way, but the economy sucks so much right now, that'd be better we're I to sit tight and fly the sled, then maybe do a stint in the sled in the sticks, or fly floats or something to pay off student loans when I finish college. I might get out of flying, who knows? Right now its fun though.

I want to work someplace where I can fly a lot of different airframes (big or small doesn't matter), and that goes to a lot of different places. Where that place is I have no idea, but as soon as I find them, I'll jump right on board. That being said, if I'm unable to do that for whatever reason, the airlines I'd like to work for would be Hawaiian, or someplace where I can be based in HNL, KOA, or otherwise. I love it out there.

I reckon you and I are going to meet soon....although we are out of kilter at the moment. I'm already up here, but heading down there in 5 weeks for a 2 month course with CPS, after which I'll be heading back up, moving my butt, my family, and my dogs out of the Bush and camping out at ACE. I'd even load cargo and answer phones for them until they let me into the right seat if need be.

I'd do that because I'll be super low time coming back up from Outside with around 320 hours and newly inked Comm, Inst, and ME certs.

I know with times like that I'll probably be heading back to the Bush~ if I have to, I guess. Really don't want to though...that's where I am trying to escape from. Kinda sick of the lifestyle...those of you who've been in the Bush know what I mean.

On the other hand, I do call AK home and know of plenty 'o other ground pounding gigs around that pay alright and I own a C150 to keep on building time in cheaply, so I might do other stuff and hold out for one of those ACE gigs before agreeing to heading back out to a Vill.

I agree... I think those of us who call this place home ought to have a bit 'o preference. Life ain't easy up here, although I guess the premium already placed on AK time is preferential treatment enough.

There is probably something too to knowing first hand just how critical 135 ops are to folk around here as well as already knowing some of the village idioms and how to navigate socially in the Vills. Not to mention the idiosyncratic mountain maritime continental super cold weather we fly around in.

Anyhoo, as always, thanks Pat for the up to date info from the big town. It is always hard to glean what is going on in the city from out here.

Hey...rookie question...what is CASS?

Nopreblemoei

CASS = Cockpit Access Security System, in short it lets you jumpseat. In the good old days, from what I understand, a crewbadge was all you'd need to meander around the country, not so much anymore.

someplace where I can be based in HNL, KOA, or otherwise. I love it out there.

Me too.

I just got back from a few weeks on the islands...to juxtapose AK with HI during the winter is to wallow in life's poignancy.

Every time I do that I want to leave...but then the looseness of life up here reels me back in.

Back