For the would be Chechakos

Now I'm willing to fly in Timbuktu!

That's good cause they go there 20 times a day from Bethel :)
Aint that the truth.......

Do you know if JP Air in Bethel has a website? I couldn't find one. Great post by the way. You seem to be our local expert on Alaska. I've thought about it before, but until I got furloughed I wasn't as serious about it.
Let me tell you a little about Bethel; it's like one large dysfunctional family. A lot of guys who have been there a while have flown for multiple different operators. Back in the gold ol' days (long before I was ever around) apparently it would be pretty common to get fired from one operator and then be flying for someone else by the end of the week. That still happens now, but at least now it takes a month.

JP Air is one of the smaller operators out there (with about 3-4 planes last time I was out there) and getting an 'in' there probably requires a) having flown in BET a little and b) being on his doorstep headset in hand.

That all said, ask Newty about how much money it would take for him to go live in BET. $6,000 a month may sound like a lot, but in reality you could go fly for someone else, work half as much and get paid a little more than half of that. A 2 week stretch at another operator assuming you flew 100 hours would get you around $3,400. And two weeks off......

For all those interested in more BET information, here's something I sent another member on here a while ago.....

As for the flying, well, Bethel is a pretty different environment. It bears little to no resemblance to 121 flying. Although the Caravans are IFR aircraft, most of the flying is done VFR, especially once you’re away from Bethel. Basically, if there’s at least 500&2 or 1000&1 people will launch SVFR. There’s actually a system of SVFR departures and arrivals to facilitate all the traffic moving in and out of the place. The vast majority of aircraft are Captone equipped which means they have a moving map terrain display that also displays ADSB derived traffic. Some people use this capability to do things they’re not supposed to, and some don’t. Bottom line is whether or not the flying is dangerous is entirely up to you.

A couple of Bethel flying concepts for you to help you figure this out:

1. At any given time there can be a lot of traffic moving in and out of Bethel. Sometimes you’ll be short final behind someone who hasn’t quite cleared the runway yet. Tower will tell you to go around, but what they really mean is slow down a bit. As soon as the landing traffic is off the runway they’ll re-clear you and you’re good to go. What this can mean is sometimes you’ll find yourself at 300-400 feet altitude over the numbers when you finally get your clearance. (it’s a 6,000 foot runway) In a Caravan it’s actually a lot of fun.

2. When SVFR procedures are in effect you request departures along certain radials from the BET VOR. Sometimes after departure tower will come on and ask for your progress. What they’re asking you for is to announce clear of the zone even though you might still have a mile or two to go. That way they can launch other traffic which a) isn’t going to be able to overtake you and b) can see you on their Capstone display anyway.

3. SVFR arrivals can be a little different. If they’re getting backed up or there’s an IFR inbound they’ll put you in one of four SVFR holds (probably the only place in the country they do this). Basically you slow to 100 kts or so and enter the hold, being aware that there could possibly be several other aircraft with you in that hold at the same altitude (keep in mind, SVFR, so you have at least one mile vis, theoretically). Once they can get you in it basically becomes a big conga line in from the hold. Of course, as a Caravan you could just get a pop-up and come in IFR, but there might be a ton of 207s that get ticked at you because all of a sudden you’ve closed the airspace.

4. How does a 2,000 foot runway sound to you? What about 25 feet wide? How about iced over? What about a 25 knot crosswind? What about rough enough to make a mogul skier wet himself? What about 20 below? How about all of the above? Just a thought………

I don’t know who this was was written by, but it’s from the perspective of a 207 driver out of Kotzebue. That’s WAY north of Bethel, but the ideas are pretty similar. Enjoy.

-35F. 11am in November. Pitch black with only a little lightening in the sky to the south. Not dawn, but maybe all we'll get today. A cold wind blowing out of the east. 20 miles north of the Arctic Circle. Ice fog everywhere, crystallizing on all the metal objects outdoors, even radio antennas looking like squirrel's tails. Visibility sucks, again, still, as it has since the last 0 degree warm spell came through. At least its better than 40 below, our temperature cutoff point where everything in the aircraft, trusty as the old 207s (18,000 hrs on this one) still operating can be, subject to sudden and sometimes catastrophic breakage in temperatures where steel breaks like wood and spit freezes before it hits the ground.

Waited all morning for the weather to get up to the point where a guy can file a special to get out on the first village run, only to discover that things outside the zone were a heck of a lot worse (inevitably) than home base, which was ALREADY below VFR minimums. (Why do I do this? the BIG money of course. About $15 and hour if you figure duty time vs flight time.)

Climbing out, flaps, cowl flaps, power, mixture, in cruise at 500, both AGL and MSL, east from the Chukchi Sea village that has been my almost-home for over three years now... 500 feet because its an odd altitude for eastbound flight and keeps me in some form of ground contact. I can plainly see the ice of the inlet and then the tundra and an occasional 15 foot tall toothbrush-like black spruce tree straight down under the wing. Forward visibility is nil, mostly because there is nothing to see....ice and snow all white blotches now as the sun reaches its highest point for the day, but behind a cloud. When I flip on the landing light, the air is filled with ice crystals reflecting all around me like a self perpetuating halo.........on course now cruising in the slight light, seeing the Coleman lantern at Nelson's cabin, sliding past, where everyone just got up for the day and is sitting around the potbelly drinking tea, while I drone past eastbound on the gages.... The cabin temperature heat full on, I see my breath when I exhale toward the instrument post lights, my ballpoint pen, tip in my mouth, hanging from the corner of my lip like a long dead cigarette, because its the only place I can get at it where it won't freeze in the zero degree aircraft temperatures. Ruined everyone of my shirts before I learned that trick.

I sit in the warmest seat, because it's behind the engine. I wonder how bad it is three or four rows back, where we have the bypass mail netted down. We're in Eskimo country, and they're used to it and are always surprised that I am used to it too, and no one complains, because that's the way it is and always will be, even with global warming ( which wasn't discovered yet)

No way to climb for visibility, whiteout everywhere still, getting close now.... and the village agent MUST have lied to the dispatcher about current conditions on the river, (or the dispatcher fibbed to me to get me to go) and what the heck is wrong with the darn horizon anyway, it never tumbled like that before?

Let's see now: five out for landing, flaps 20, been flying the river bank at 400 agl now in light to moderate snow or ice crystals flurries for about ten minutes, running the right wingtip along the brushline and the agent STILL doesn't answer the company frequency, the lady in back just pounded on my seat back demanding to know if I could call her son to come pick her up and why were we going the long way?

There it is! First approach blown when the state snowplow was spotted parked sideways across the approach end of the runway, lights off, where it looks like they are trying to jump it with an old pickup truck, also without lights. ( nobody has lights the kids bust them right out. Windshields too) The other end of the runway only plowed one blade wide, lights covered, guys with shovels stepping off to the side when they hear me go overhead . They NEED that runway to stay open, plow or no plow.

Bank of ice fog/snow coming in as I touch down, the strip really only plowed about 16 feet wide, working hard to keep it straight. Luckily not enough sastrugi drifts to pull me into the lights beneath the deeper drifts on either side. Taxiing into the ramp-everybody out, 12 cases of triple mailer soda pop and 9 cases of Pampers and the mail bag unloaded. Agent shows up.... 5 strapping guys and a little old lady in tow on a hickory and rawhide basket sled pulled by his 4 wheeler. Quick weight and balance in my head....what do these guys weigh?

Weights on an old envelope.. nobody over 165 lbs, only two boxes for baggage....... ok close enough. Load'em up. Quick briefing.... guy in the coplilot seat biggest of the bunch, looks screwed up somehow, Is he drunk? That's all I need. Last week another drunk decided to help me land by dumping the flaps for me on short final......

Taxing to the turnaround, snow plow mounted grader in the middle still, shut it down, get out, notice that it only take two fingers to push down the tail of the old 207.....hip against the fucelage to spin it in place, then get in and fire it up.

Quick check-GUMP+T for trim- the stuff that'll kill 'ya.....BANG BANG Bang...what the hell??? Lady under the wing pounding on my side window, prop blast blowing her hair and parky hood in her face as she hollers. How did she get there without running into the prop? Quick shut down. Open the door....WHAT? PLEASE!!! DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! YOU COULD GET KILLED!!!

"Oh. Hand-carry for my niece in Kotzebue...Taiku" and walks away.

Completely unsettled now, Start over. I close the door, look all around, Fire it up. Gyro tumbles.... put sticky pad on gyro. (Get me in trouble if I can see it. I HATE vertigo, and get it ALL the time!) Check EVERYTHING else. OK Launch......oh jeez, full forward trim... Guys in back HAD to have lied about their weights.....(and I put the 90 lb box of muktuk in the nose baggage too)..... flaps off as soon as possible. Still holding forward pressure on the wheel. a lot. Got about a mile vis, now turning over the river, got over 110 indicated, can quit with the wheel pressure. Getting solid pitch now, two finger solid anyway.

Set up for cruise, cowl flaps, power, mixture, westbound at 400 feet, mile to mile and a 1/4 vis. Call off on the frequency. "Scare'em Air 207 outa Podunk for Kotz 400 feet".... Stay along the river edge where the alder scrubs mostly straight down are the only visible things up, down, or sideways in the whiteout outrunning my visiility about every 10 or 20 seconds now or less in the white world outside, and it doesn't matter, because there's not much to see anyway, an occasional willow or alder branch sticking up, snow on the tundra, snow on the lakes, snow on the sea pack when I get there..... even snow on the hills to the north and back east if I get mixed up and screw up, and fly right into their gentle slopes as some have done not so long ago ......and died with their airplane....Not me.....yet... and I Pay Attention to the Job At Hand.

Guy in the right seat slumped over against the door frame, sound asleep. "Nice compliment", I think, even if he is possibly drunk, or maybe just afllicted by " sudden-stoppage-of-the-Honda", as my friend Scott used to say about village cowboys careening around town without helmets.

Thank god he fell asleep, didn't want to have to deal with him. The rest of the passengers are quiet now, used to entrusting their lives to a "Gussuck" pilot from the lower 48. ( Heck, I got a baby named after me on my first medivac after two weeks in the region. A bush pilot honor I never took lightly.... I bet he's a good looking guy too!)

Coming up on the inlet now 11 miles across...White out still and now absolutely NOTHING to see...Ease it up to 600...radio call to company, inbound with 5 pax..... Damn horizon. Feet on the floor, two fingers on the yoke: needle, ball, DG, ADF and airspeed. Compasses don't work up here.....just window dressing...... just keep the Adf needle centered and the airplane won't be turning.... four looooong minutes.. There! A faint skinny smear of brush establishing the horizon and the edge of the "lake" itself. Check the DME. To low for it to work before this.. How about that.... 2 miles vis!

FSS freq. Lotta chatter... Call in position "for landing..."

" below VFR minimums. What are your intentions?"

Gotta be TORCH (to myself), He KNOWS what I want......but we gotta play the game...

" Scare'em 207'd like a SPECIAL."

Scare'em Air 207, Do not enter the zone until cleared. Maintain VFR (gee thanks) You are number 5 for clearance, behind a DC-6 on short approach, a Company 206, a 402, a skybox, and another 207.

( Great- 4 of us out here boring circles in the sky between 3 and 500 feet trying to maintain ground contact and trying real hard not to run into each other)

" Roger Kotz"

"We'll be holding on the east shore on the 090". ..... the other two guys and the new girl (we all know each other on the radio from Barrow to Nome, and we are now scattered to all points of the compass, hopefully (we tersely establish radials on the channel) all of us hoping we can get in before:

1. We run out of gas ( not likely, cause we're all paranoid, and therefore maybe just a teeney-weeny bit over gross what with the extra hour I always pack above the 30 minute VFR reserve requirement.

2. Alaska Airlines shows up and as a much bigger threat, we all have to get AT LEAST the legal five miles out and be sure to Stay-outa-his-way, knowing that they are at LEAST as big an outlaw as most of us, and it is real disconcerting to see a 737 out your side window at 400 feet on a drag-it-in approach that MIGHT be just a smidge below their MDA.

or

3. The weather might get REALLY BAD where a guy might find himself somewhere on the Noatak or Kobuk River in a village full of curious and friendly tan folks eating Caribou stew for about three days. Not all bad. Sometimes there are Gussuck SCHOOLTEACHERS of the lonely feminine variety!

Find the radial, little bit lower, getting up in the soup there.... 400 ft now, vis deteriorating, flaps 10... trim, ease back power...little more, needing forward yoke pressure now, flaps up, keep up the airspeed.

Darn, the Lady in back must've upchucked on the first turn..... quiet, nervous chuckles from the rest of the passengers.... Lady embarrassed, trying to clean it up I guess from the sounds.

Concentrate now-good vis.. straight down. Anywhere else just a grey smudge, two got in ahead of me now, #3 cleared in.....radio call...." hey number four how'bout we make it a flight of two????

" Affirmative....where are you? I'm just east of the NDB."

" Hm,,,,So am I. I'll go to 450 why don't you go to 350?"

"Roger, willl do. I'm white and grey color"

"Great! I'm looking for a white and grey airplane turning within a half mile of me in a whiteout........ it's not easy.....Gotcha" he appears off my right wing going away from me in a turn. Keep my eye on him, turn HARD, VSI VSI VSI don't loose any altitude....... There, about a 1/4 mile in trail. Hey Torch is calling.

"....flight of 2 cleared into the zone...." that's nice....we were on our way anyway, Daammit, where is the radio station tower??? guy ran into that not long ago.... there.....the red blinking slides past about 50 feet above me about a 1/4 mile off my right wing.

Fly right over town, turn left above front street, power, flaps20, power again, push in on the yoke dammit not to fast,,,,,,the company hangar slide underneath as I set up, the 207 ahead touching down rolling out long so I can get in behind... Down, Cancel clearance, clear of the runway. Taxi to the company terminal. Call the company, Tell the charming youg high school dispatcher: "got a mechanical- Horizon" .

" Roger" 207. Charley's right here,......... says eat something. put in horizon, and then you got Ambler run".

All the passengers out.. Nice Old Lady smiles,,,,"Taiku, Nice flight", echoed by the drunk.

Engine cover on, run out the extension cord. Mechanic on his way out with the gyro...Not happy to be changing a gyro on the ramp at -35 F and a fresh 15 kn breeze blowing down from the east...maybe it'll warm up and snow...

Eat a cold sandwich, strong black airport coffee,

Ready to do it again.

Then do it again and again. 5 or 6 times a day, 80 or 85 days a quarter, 120 to 150 flight hours a month.

That's stress.

And I've got to add: My hat's off to those few who were there when I was, and those who are still there, doing the job.

Hey all, I'm brand new to the forums (well, as a registered user anyway) and I wanted to post on this thread because I'm currently in Alaska right now searching for employment. I came back home to Fairbanks last month after going to school in Montana and flight instructing. Seeing nothing but a dead end job in front of me for quite some time, I wanted to come to the "land of opportunity" so to speak. While I might not be a "Cheechako" to the state, I certainly am when it comes to flying up here. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, and after a month or so of searching for a job, I have a few observations for anyone interested:

1. Being local helps! Obviously this is true when looking for any job, but especially in Alaska. Operators want to know that you know what Alaska is all about. They don't want to spend the time and effort on somebody who's going to decide they hate the place a few months after moving up here. Plus if you live here, an interview is much easier to come by. I've already had 2 interviews with places where I don't even meet the minimums just because I "was local". Think I would have even gotten a call back had they seen I was from out of state? My suggestion if you really want to fly in Alaska is to move up here first. Easier said than done I know, but I guarantee you'll have an easier time finding a job.
2. It is true that it has slowed down up here, hiring wise, but most of the places that I've called and talked to are all saying the same thing; with spring right around the corner, they're all looking to hire because summer is not far off. Give it about a month or so and I'll bet many more places will be looking to start training pilots for the long summer days. If you've been searching for a job in the past few months like I have, don't give up hope! It will pick up soon!
3. Just because you don't have "Alaska time" doesn't exclude you from the job. Some places it does matter for insurance purposes though. I only have a few Alaska hours, but a lot of the places I talked to that advertised "1500 Alaska time required" are willing to bring that number down if you have "similar" flying expierence. Fortunatley for me growing up here and getting to work for some of the operators, I use that to my advantage when talking to these places. They like knowing that people understand how unique it can be flying up here. And they understand that you'll learn a lot when you're on the job too. But don't let the "Alaska time required" scare you off. Might as well give it a shot anyway right?
4. I've heard rumblings of some big news up here as far as the airline industry goes. Not really sure what it is, but a few people I've talked to said that now is the time to be up here because something is going to happen soon. Anybody have any ideas? Kind of vague I know, but they didn't want to say too much. I guess this has yet to be seen, so take it with a grain of salt. Could just be, as they say, "kooky talk" (Seinfeld fans anyone?)

That's pretty much all I have to say. I know I don't have a whole lot of time/expierence flying up here, but I hope this was of some use anyway to anybody looking for a job, or thinking about it. It's nice to actually post on these things rather than just reading them!

I bet you're thinking I'm going to roast him over his comments about the BET 737. Unfortunately, he's right. The "Arctic Eagles" have been known for this kind of thing.

You've never truly been scared until you've watched the airport disappear in front of your eyes in DUT beyond the FAF and now if you execute the published missed you'll hit the mountain. Take your chance flying around the caldera, or try to land through the blackwater and fog in less than a mile.

And btw velo, you're right, I've seen a lot of Alaska Air "gettir' done" down in SE when I worked for ACE. It was pretty hilarious actually when you'd see them going VFR between Wrangell and Pete in the 737, not talking to anyone when the wx sucks in wrangell and is decent in pete. How they get that in their opspecs for 121 is beyond me.

It was pretty hilarious actually when you'd see them going VFR between Wrangell and Pete in the 737, not talking to anyone when the wx sucks in wrangell and is decent in pete. How they get that in their opspecs for 121 is beyond me.
Ah heck, just slap a Garmin 296 on a yoke mount and you can go anywhere! :sarcasm:

Big news today from Frontier Flying Service:

HOTH INC. ANNOUNCES AGREEMENT TO ACQUIRE ERA AVIATION, INC.
Anchorage, Alaska
February 17, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - HoTH, Inc., an Alaska corporation owned by John Hajdukovich, Mike Hageland and James Tweto, and the parent holding company for Frontier Flying Service, Inc. and Hageland Aviation Services, Inc. today announced an agreement to acquire 100 percent of the common stock of Era Aviation, Inc. Era’s airline operation will become part of HoTH’s air group holdings, which currently do business under the name Frontier Alaska. Bob Hajdukovich, the chief executive officer of HoTH, will become the chief executive officer of Era upon completion of the acquisition, currently expected to occur on Feb. 27, 2009. Bob will be tasked with integrating Era’s operations with current Frontier Alaska operations.
“This deal not only complements what we already do, but allows for upside growth of our Part 121 operations while strengthening our connectivity to rural communities, which is so important to us,” Hajdukovich said.
“Era operations will allow us to right size the aircraft to our markets. Era has an excellent safety record and culture that will complement our strategic goals of developing a statewide network of professional airlines that
set the standard for safe operations.”
Era’s largest aircraft is the 37-seat Bombardier Dash 8. Frontier Flying Service and Hageland operate aircraft ranging from the five-seat Cessna 207 to the 19-seat Beech 1900C. The combined HoTH air group will employ approximately 700 people while transporting over 600,000 passengers, 5,000,000 pounds of freight and 24,000,000 pounds of mail. Expected annual revenue of the combined group will exceed $100 million.
Era’s current Chief Executive Officer, W. Stephen Jackson said “The acquisition of Era is a very intelligent business decision for HoTH and will enable the combined entities to provide ever higher levels of safety and service to customers along with greater financial stability for employees”.
Hoth’s acquisition of Era will promote the development of a long-lasting intrastate regional airline that serves major hubs as well as many smaller rural communities. The Frontier Alaska-Era combination will also benefit Alaska consumers by providing broader access to mainline operations by virtue of Era’s codesharing partnership with Seattle-based Alaska Airlines, Inc. Frontier Alaska and Era are participating regional carriers in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan frequent flyer program, allowing members to earn and redeem Mileage Plan miles on certain intra-Alaska flights

Sounds like they'll be looking to hire crews here shortly to help meet the demand for all the routes they'll be flying. Already tossed a resume in. If you're interested, I suggest you do the same.

RMCBear08,

Did you submit your resume via snail mail or email? I can't for the life of me find an email address.

Definitely interesting news.

Sounds like they'll be looking to hire crews here shortly to help meet the demand for all the routes they'll be flying. Already tossed a resume in. If you're interested, I suggest you do the same.
I actually tend to doubt that but we'll see.

Big news today from Frontier Flying Service:

HOTH INC. ANNOUNCES AGREEMENT TO ACQUIRE ERA AVIATION, INC.
Anchorage, Alaska
February 17, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - HoTH, Inc., an Alaska corporation owned by John Hajdukovich, Mike Hageland and James Tweto, and the parent holding company for Frontier Flying Service, Inc. and Hageland Aviation Services, Inc. today announced an agreement to acquire 100 percent of the common stock of Era Aviation, Inc. Era’s airline operation will become part of HoTH’s air group holdings, which currently do business under the name Frontier Alaska. Bob Hajdukovich, the chief executive officer of HoTH, will become the chief executive officer of Era upon completion of the acquisition, currently expected to occur on Feb. 27, 2009. Bob will be tasked with integrating Era’s operations with current Frontier Alaska operations.
“This deal not only complements what we already do, but allows for upside growth of our Part 121 operations while strengthening our connectivity to rural communities, which is so important to us,” Hajdukovich said.
“Era operations will allow us to right size the aircraft to our markets. Era has an excellent safety record and culture that will complement our strategic goals of developing a statewide network of professional airlines that
set the standard for safe operations.”
Era’s largest aircraft is the 37-seat Bombardier Dash 8. Frontier Flying Service and Hageland operate aircraft ranging from the five-seat Cessna 207 to the 19-seat Beech 1900C. The combined HoTH air group will employ approximately 700 people while transporting over 600,000 passengers, 5,000,000 pounds of freight and 24,000,000 pounds of mail. Expected annual revenue of the combined group will exceed $100 million.
Era’s current Chief Executive Officer, W. Stephen Jackson said “The acquisition of Era is a very intelligent business decision for HoTH and will enable the combined entities to provide ever higher levels of safety and service to customers along with greater financial stability for employees”.
Hoth’s acquisition of Era will promote the development of a long-lasting intrastate regional airline that serves major hubs as well as many smaller rural communities. The Frontier Alaska-Era combination will also benefit Alaska consumers by providing broader access to mainline operations by virtue of Era’s codesharing partnership with Seattle-based Alaska Airlines, Inc. Frontier Alaska and Era are participating regional carriers in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan frequent flyer program, allowing members to earn and redeem Mileage Plan miles on certain intra-Alaska flights

RMCBear08,

Did you submit your resume via snail mail or email? I can't for the life of me find an email address.

I doubt any hiring will come of this, those routes are already fully staffed.

-35F. 11am in November. Pitch black with only a little lightening in the sky to the south. Not dawn, but maybe all we'll get today. A cold wind blowing out of the east. 20 miles north of the Arctic Circle. Ice fog everywhere, crystallizing on all the metal objects outdoors, even radio antennas looking like squirrel's tails. Visibility sucks, again, still, as it has since the last 0 degree warm spell came through. At least its better than 40 below, our temperature cutoff point where everything in the aircraft, trusty as the old 207s (18,000 hrs on this one) still operating can be, subject to sudden and sometimes catastrophic breakage in temperatures where steel breaks like wood and spit freezes before it hits the ground.

Waited all morning for the weather to get up to the point where a guy can file a special to get out on the first village run, only to discover that things outside the zone were a heck of a lot worse (inevitably) than home base, which was ALREADY below VFR minimums. (Why do I do this? the BIG money of course. About $15 and hour if you figure duty time vs flight time.)

Climbing out, flaps, cowl flaps, power, mixture, in cruise at 500, both AGL and MSL, east from the Chukchi Sea village that has been my almost-home for over three years now... 500 feet because its an odd altitude for eastbound flight and keeps me in some form of ground contact. I can plainly see the ice of the inlet and then the tundra and an occasional 15 foot tall toothbrush-like black spruce tree straight down under the wing. Forward visibility is nil, mostly because there is nothing to see....ice and snow all white blotches now as the sun reaches its highest point for the day, but behind a cloud. When I flip on the landing light, the air is filled with ice crystals reflecting all around me like a self perpetuating halo.........on course now cruising in the slight light, seeing the Coleman lantern at Nelson's cabin, sliding past, where everyone just got up for the day and is sitting around the potbelly drinking tea, while I drone past eastbound on the gages.... The cabin temperature heat full on, I see my breath when I exhale toward the instrument post lights, my ballpoint pen, tip in my mouth, hanging from the corner of my lip like a long dead cigarette, because its the only place I can get at it where it won't freeze in the zero degree aircraft temperatures. Ruined everyone of my shirts before I learned that trick.

I sit in the warmest seat, because it's behind the engine. I wonder how bad it is three or four rows back, where we have the bypass mail netted down. We're in Eskimo country, and they're used to it and are always surprised that I am used to it too, and no one complains, because that's the way it is and always will be, even with global warming ( which wasn't discovered yet)

No way to climb for visibility, whiteout everywhere still, getting close now.... and the village agent MUST have lied to the dispatcher about current conditions on the river, (or the dispatcher fibbed to me to get me to go) and what the heck is wrong with the darn horizon anyway, it never tumbled like that before?

Let's see now: five out for landing, flaps 20, been flying the river bank at 400 agl now in light to moderate snow or ice crystals flurries for about ten minutes, running the right wingtip along the brushline and the agent STILL doesn't answer the company frequency, the lady in back just pounded on my seat back demanding to know if I could call her son to come pick her up and why were we going the long way?

There it is! First approach blown when the state snowplow was spotted parked sideways across the approach end of the runway, lights off, where it looks like they are trying to jump it with an old pickup truck, also without lights. ( nobody has lights the kids bust them right out. Windshields too) The other end of the runway only plowed one blade wide, lights covered, guys with shovels stepping off to the side when they hear me go overhead . They NEED that runway to stay open, plow or no plow.

Bank of ice fog/snow coming in as I touch down, the strip really only plowed about 16 feet wide, working hard to keep it straight. Luckily not enough sastrugi drifts to pull me into the lights beneath the deeper drifts on either side. Taxiing into the ramp-everybody out, 12 cases of triple mailer soda pop and 9 cases of Pampers and the mail bag unloaded. Agent shows up.... 5 strapping guys and a little old lady in tow on a hickory and rawhide basket sled pulled by his 4 wheeler. Quick weight and balance in my head....what do these guys weigh?

Weights on an old envelope.. nobody over 165 lbs, only two boxes for baggage....... ok close enough. Load'em up. Quick briefing.... guy in the coplilot seat biggest of the bunch, looks screwed up somehow, Is he drunk? That's all I need. Last week another drunk decided to help me land by dumping the flaps for me on short final......

Taxing to the turnaround, snow plow mounted grader in the middle still, shut it down, get out, notice that it only take two fingers to push down the tail of the old 207.....hip against the fucelage to spin it in place, then get in and fire it up.

Quick check-GUMP+T for trim- the stuff that'll kill 'ya.....BANG BANG Bang...what the hell??? Lady under the wing pounding on my side window, prop blast blowing her hair and parky hood in her face as she hollers. How did she get there without running into the prop? Quick shut down. Open the door....WHAT? PLEASE!!! DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! YOU COULD GET KILLED!!!

"Oh. Hand-carry for my niece in Kotzebue...Taiku" and walks away.

Completely unsettled now, Start over. I close the door, look all around, Fire it up. Gyro tumbles.... put sticky pad on gyro. (Get me in trouble if I can see it. I HATE vertigo, and get it ALL the time!) Check EVERYTHING else. OK Launch......oh jeez, full forward trim... Guys in back HAD to have lied about their weights.....(and I put the 90 lb box of muktuk in the nose baggage too)..... flaps off as soon as possible. Still holding forward pressure on the wheel. a lot. Got about a mile vis, now turning over the river, got over 110 indicated, can quit with the wheel pressure. Getting solid pitch now, two finger solid anyway.

Set up for cruise, cowl flaps, power, mixture, westbound at 400 feet, mile to mile and a 1/4 vis. Call off on the frequency. "Scare'em Air 207 outa Podunk for Kotz 400 feet".... Stay along the river edge where the alder scrubs mostly straight down are the only visible things up, down, or sideways in the whiteout outrunning my visiility about every 10 or 20 seconds now or less in the white world outside, and it doesn't matter, because there's not much to see anyway, an occasional willow or alder branch sticking up, snow on the tundra, snow on the lakes, snow on the sea pack when I get there..... even snow on the hills to the north and back east if I get mixed up and screw up, and fly right into their gentle slopes as some have done not so long ago ......and died with their airplane....Not me.....yet... and I Pay Attention to the Job At Hand.

Guy in the right seat slumped over against the door frame, sound asleep. "Nice compliment", I think, even if he is possibly drunk, or maybe just afllicted by " sudden-stoppage-of-the-Honda", as my friend Scott used to say about village cowboys careening around town without helmets.

Thank god he fell asleep, didn't want to have to deal with him. The rest of the passengers are quiet now, used to entrusting their lives to a "Gussuck" pilot from the lower 48. ( Heck, I got a baby named after me on my first medivac after two weeks in the region. A bush pilot honor I never took lightly.... I bet he's a good looking guy too!)

Coming up on the inlet now 11 miles across...White out still and now absolutely NOTHING to see...Ease it up to 600...radio call to company, inbound with 5 pax..... Damn horizon. Feet on the floor, two fingers on the yoke: needle, ball, DG, ADF and airspeed. Compasses don't work up here.....just window dressing...... just keep the Adf needle centered and the airplane won't be turning.... four looooong minutes.. There! A faint skinny smear of brush establishing the horizon and the edge of the "lake" itself. Check the DME. To low for it to work before this.. How about that.... 2 miles vis!

FSS freq. Lotta chatter... Call in position "for landing..."

" below VFR minimums. What are your intentions?"

Gotta be TORCH (to myself), He KNOWS what I want......but we gotta play the game...

" Scare'em 207'd like a SPECIAL."

Scare'em Air 207, Do not enter the zone until cleared. Maintain VFR (gee thanks) You are number 5 for clearance, behind a DC-6 on short approach, a Company 206, a 402, a skybox, and another 207.

( Great- 4 of us out here boring circles in the sky between 3 and 500 feet trying to maintain ground contact and trying real hard not to run into each other)

" Roger Kotz"

"We'll be holding on the east shore on the 090". ..... the other two guys and the new girl (we all know each other on the radio from Barrow to Nome, and we are now scattered to all points of the compass, hopefully (we tersely establish radials on the channel) all of us hoping we can get in before:

1. We run out of gas ( not likely, cause we're all paranoid, and therefore maybe just a teeney-weeny bit over gross what with the extra hour I always pack above the 30 minute VFR reserve requirement.

2. Alaska Airlines shows up and as a much bigger threat, we all have to get AT LEAST the legal five miles out and be sure to Stay-outa-his-way, knowing that they are at LEAST as big an outlaw as most of us, and it is real disconcerting to see a 737 out your side window at 400 feet on a drag-it-in approach that MIGHT be just a smidge below their MDA.

or

3. The weather might get REALLY BAD where a guy might find himself somewhere on the Noatak or Kobuk River in a village full of curious and friendly tan folks eating Caribou stew for about three days. Not all bad. Sometimes there are Gussuck SCHOOLTEACHERS of the lonely feminine variety!

Find the radial, little bit lower, getting up in the soup there.... 400 ft now, vis deteriorating, flaps 10... trim, ease back power...little more, needing forward yoke pressure now, flaps up, keep up the airspeed.

Darn, the Lady in back must've upchucked on the first turn..... quiet, nervous chuckles from the rest of the passengers.... Lady embarrassed, trying to clean it up I guess from the sounds.

Concentrate now-good vis.. straight down. Anywhere else just a grey smudge, two got in ahead of me now, #3 cleared in.....radio call...." hey number four how'bout we make it a flight of two????

" Affirmative....where are you? I'm just east of the NDB."

" Hm,,,,So am I. I'll go to 450 why don't you go to 350?"

"Roger, willl do. I'm white and grey color"

"Great! I'm looking for a white and grey airplane turning within a half mile of me in a whiteout........ it's not easy.....Gotcha" he appears off my right wing going away from me in a turn. Keep my eye on him, turn HARD, VSI VSI VSI don't loose any altitude....... There, about a 1/4 mile in trail. Hey Torch is calling.

"....flight of 2 cleared into the zone...." that's nice....we were on our way anyway, Daammit, where is the radio station tower??? guy ran into that not long ago.... there.....the red blinking slides past about 50 feet above me about a 1/4 mile off my right wing.

Fly right over town, turn left above front street, power, flaps20, power again, push in on the yoke dammit not to fast,,,,,,the company hangar slide underneath as I set up, the 207 ahead touching down rolling out long so I can get in behind... Down, Cancel clearance, clear of the runway. Taxi to the company terminal. Call the company, Tell the charming youg high school dispatcher: "got a mechanical- Horizon" .

" Roger" 207. Charley's right here,......... says eat something. put in horizon, and then you got Ambler run".

All the passengers out.. Nice Old Lady smiles,,,,"Taiku, Nice flight", echoed by the drunk.

Engine cover on, run out the extension cord. Mechanic on his way out with the gyro...Not happy to be changing a gyro on the ramp at -35 F and a fresh 15 kn breeze blowing down from the east...maybe it'll warm up and snow...

Eat a cold sandwich, strong black airport coffee,

Ready to do it again.

Then do it again and again. 5 or 6 times a day, 80 or 85 days a quarter, 120 to 150 flight hours a month.

That's stress.

And I've got to add: My hat's off to those few who were there when I was, and those who are still there, doing the job.

Sorry for bring a thread up from the dead but that has to be the best reading I have done in a long time. I was looking at gigs in alaska for my possible near future, and wow just wow.

=Jason-

That was an awesome scoop on the Alaska scene - very informative. Do any of you guys have any similar info on the helo operators up there by chance?

That was an awesome scoop on the Alaska scene - very informative. Do any of you guys have any similar info on the helo operators up there by chance?
Temsco hires at 1000 TT for summer tour jobs in AStars. No turbine time required last time I knew..... Also check out Evergreen.

mhcasey, you mentioned that you have a friend out in slc. I'm currently looking as a post-graduate with not many CFI prospects/offers. Do you think that a CFI/II with 330TT 275 PIC and 25Multi would have a chance finding a job with them. I'm living down here and i'm thinking of applying to Walmart at this point.

Back