FOR SALE: Pilot Communications ANR PA 17-79 Headset

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
PA 17-79 Independence Series ANR Stereo Headset with Cell and MP3 inputs.

Originally designed for the military and for helicopter operators, the matte black PA 17-79's ear cups are deeper in volume than its predecessor, thereby increasing passive noise attenuation. The new headset has been updated with a more sophisticated designed electronics package using closer tolerance mil-spec components. The military spec'd headset will have @43-46dB of total noise protection. The Independence with its rechargeable NiMH battery weighs 14.8 ounces.

This headset works great in Pistons, Turbo Props, and Jets. It is just over kill for the 727 so I have gone to an in the ear, ear piece and no longer need this unit.​

PA17-79.jpg

The unit is in good condition and works well.
The headset was $475 when new
Make a reasonable offer if you're interested.​

I'll just post up a first hand experience with this headset. Its awesome! I bought one brand new for flying the Beech. The whole first two weeks I was using it, didn't even realize I had the ANR OFF! It was pretty damn quiet. Then I was playing around with it in my hotel one night and pushed the white button while it was plugged into the wall charger, a light came on and I put the headset on to hear absolutely nothing with the Tv on. So my next flight I hit the white button - WOW! So quiet I literally couldn't hear the props in my ears. The only way I knew they were running was the drone you get on your head. It also enhances ATC communications and makes things sound really nice and clear.

No batteries to fiddle with either. The battery is in the headset, just plug it into an outlet with the wall charger and its good to go. Even if the ANR dies, this thing is quiter then the newer David Clark's that don't have ANR. I'd highly recommend the headset if you can't tell. Especially for the price. Not even half that of the Bose and I think its 100 times better.

Thanks for the Testimonial Airdale. :rawk:

The testimonial lines are now open. If you have experience with this headset and wish to comment, call in now.:hiya:

I'll back that up too. It's an awesome bang for the buck headset. It's half the price of the bose, more quiet, just slightly more "clampy", but I'd rather have the noise reduction. Used it for flying freight props and I still have my hearing. It is just overkill for a jet, so I guess after Bandit-Drivers one sells I might be willing to part with mine if anyone is interested.

Hootie,

Did you try yours in the jet? It makes thing eerily quite, doesn't it.

Yeah my first couple trips I used it. I don't mind the eerily quiet, it was more of the weird look from captains who were using the little telex that bothered me :)

I also have a Pilot Communications ANR PA 17-79 Headset for sale. Bought while I was taking flight lessons back in 1999 but have sat in storage since then. Work great. If interested e-mail me at ken@swiss-mix.com.

Have a great 2008!
-Ken

Back