"For Many Years to Come"

Re: \"For Many Years to Come\"

[ QUOTE ]
Throw her some dollars, man!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, if only I had the dollars to throw. I help out when I can, mostly in the form of babysitting.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think people's problems is they always spend all of their money reguardless of what they earn, so in that way you NEVER have enough money.

You don't have to have cable, you don't have to have a kickass stereo system or a new car you don't have to live in a ritzy neabourhood. As long as there's a roof over your head and food on the table that's all you really need.

I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money that's your problem but please don't complain about not having enough money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just about the most absurd thing you have ever written Snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say I disagree.... snow's right (IMO) in that we take a lot of things forgranted and we really only need the basics to survive... granted, having the extra's makes living easier and fun'er...i'm glad to have a roof over my head, fresh & clean water to drink etc... I enjoy using my hammock, but it's not a necessity that my life depends on - it's a luxury!

most people do end up spending what they earn or as doug calls it: make more, spend more....

one of the reasons doug and I bought the house we have today is that we didn't want to overspend and be at the point some or most people are today, which is: house/car broke... too much home or too much car means you can't buy furniture or toilet paper or new tires when it comes time to needing it....you end up eating a can of beans on the floor cuz you can't afford anything but the house/car....

I think it's very important to take into account that some day, you might lose your job or you might be downgraded and have to deal with a paycut or you might get sick and have many medical expenses.. you name the "nasty" - but they do come up... the thing to keep in mind is that if your prepared and if you've managed your money wisely, then it won't hurt as bad and it'll be more of an pride hurt than a "financial" sting...

complaining about having to deal with a paycut is one thing... but complaining about not ever having enough $$ is really off the wall if you have a good job that pays "well" and are working hard to maintain it or further in your career...

just my opinion!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have to say I disagree.... snow's right (IMO) in that we take a lot of things forgranted and we really only need the basics to survive...

[/ QUOTE ]

But that argument then must be: we should accept only the minimum at every level. I'll build you a new house, and you can give me lunch, and let me sleep under your porch.

For every one person living beyond their means (excessive credit etc) I'll show you one that isn't.

Perhaps furloughs/givebacks should only go to those who are fiscally responsible? or better yet, to the guys who are at their limit.. teach them a lesson!! (sarcasm)

it is the "Fox and the Squirrel fable. ( fox does't save, squirrel does save nuts for winter...)

If I lost my job, or Mrs E lost hers, we would survive, but that means we would have to access the money we have put aside to allow us to retire (again, for me).

Why plan for the future when your argument is: accept less as you don't need so much.

[ QUOTE ]
This is just about the most absurd thing you have ever written Snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eagle I think you like disagreeing with me just for the hell of it, which is fine with me, it's just you being you I spose and I've come to expect it now.

I'm all for pilots making good salaries, and I don't think pay cuts are ever a good thing. My point is, as Kristie mentioned, people in general adjust their spending to match their salaries, they get a pay raise, they find a way to spend the extra cash.

My friend's dad has a Range Rover, Jaguar V12 convertible, a 40f speedboat, a 40f sailing yacht and lives in a house which they got for a bargain $1 million with a heated pool, 3 guest bedrooms and has a view off a cliff over the bay, I have no idea what his salary is but I'd be guessing he doesn't have a lot of cash left over either.

Would he be as happy driving a car that doesn't cost 6 figures? probably, he just has one because he can, he'd not a car buff or anything, it's just a car for him to drive to work in.

I on the other hand would be happy living in a $40,000 2 bedroom house in a nice neighbourhood and drive around in a 1970's F-150. If I have good friends and enjoy my work, plus have enough to feed, clothe and house myself then that's all that really matters. (ok so a little extra to buy cds wouldn't hurt either
smirk.gif
) Sure I'd like to have a boat, or a new Saleen Mustang but my happiness doesn't depend on it.

I think too many people are waiting for their life to get better, 'my life will be good once I get married' or 'my life will be good once the kids move out of home, or when I retire' screw that, enjoy life now, and if your not, what's stopping you? You shouldn't need materal things to be happy in my opinion.

So in summery, if you don't think you have enough money in the bank, spend less!

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to have cable, you don't have to have a kickass stereo system or a new car you don't have to live in a ritzy neabourhood. As long as there's a roof over your head and food on the table that's all you really need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should we then donate everything else as Excess cash?

[ QUOTE ]
Sure I'd like to have a boat, or a new Saleen Mustang but my happiness doesn't depend on it.

I think too many people are waiting for their life to get better, 'my life will be good once I get married' or 'my life will be good once the kids move out of home, or when I retire' screw that, enjoy life now, and if your not, what's stopping you? You shouldn't need materal things to be happy in my opinion.

So in summery, if you don't think you have enough money in the bank, spend less!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not disagree with either of these statements, and it isn’t even a matter of happiness or not (needing a new boat etc.)

As a capitalist, I work under the idea that I want people to pay me for what I do. If they are not willing to pay me what **I** think it is worth, (ideally, more than I do) then I'm not doing the gig. And once I have achieved that point, for them to come back and say. so sad too bad, Give me back 40% or be unemployed is BS.

Living under the idea (what I have a problem with in this entire thread) is if we only live on the cash we make, then none of us world wide would have a home. or a car or anything, plus the economy would screech to a halt as commerce would die off. like it or not credit/lending is a huge part of the infrastructure. Do you think Delta, whips out the checkbook and cuts a billion dollar check to buy a bunch of new airplanes?

No way...

So why is it any better or worse when Pilot Bob all of a sudden realizes he may not be able to afford their vacation home? Just because you (generic you) don't have one? is it envy or jealousy? Should he sit at home with his 2.3 kids and wife with all the lights turned off, and only let the kids out to go to school? Should he not have a TV, as it cost too much to turn it on? How should he spend his money? What is the acceptable ratio of necessity to luxury to convenience?

In the US anyone can obtain these luxury items, it all depends how hard you want to work and what you are willing to sacrifice to get there.

Oh well....until airline pilots are paid enough (which is never), this thread will go on on for good!

[ QUOTE ]

I on the other hand would be happy living in a $40,000 2 bedroom house in a nice neighbourhood

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the lot alone in a crack neighborhood is going to cost you $40,000!
smile.gif
Heck, Arizona has condominiums in not so nice neighborhoods that are in the mid-$100's.

Ok, this next paragraph is targeted very generically and isn't in response to anyone in particular, so don't flame me.

America deals with an enormous amount of class envy. I bet for every "$150,000 cut to $90,000" salaried captain, there are at least 10 people with attitudes like:

Ha! I only make $27,000, no one needs that much money

or

Those boneheads don't work hard enough, I work my hands 'till they bleed for 60 hours per week at the copper mine for minimum wage! That ain't fair he got two cars!

or

Why does he need a four bedroom house? Me and my nine kids do just fine in a doublewide.

How do I know this? I dealt with it a lot with former friends and some family.

And you will too!
smile.gif

The classic example of class envy is when you leave any job to move "up".

When I got hired at Skyway, there was a flight instructor that was literally livid that I got a regional job and he didn't. And was extremely vocal about it to the point that he wanted to "solve it" in the parking lot. I'm still trying to figure that one out...

When I got hired at Delta, there were a lot of people that were mad that I got hired by a major. I had 3,000 hours, whereas they applied to the same airline and had 3,001 hours or had been a captain a month longer. You should have heard the moans, astonishment and people angrily whispering "...must be affirmative action" or "...yeah, we know how YOU got hired..." when I walked out of the chief pilots office after handing in my resignation letter. Heck, even my own assistant chief pilot at Skyway warned me: "You know, if you fail ground school at Delta, you can't come back to Skyway". But then two years later, he emailed me his resume for a letter of reccomendation.

Electrons are a horrible thing to waste.

I hate to say it, but America is becoming a nation of paradox. Everyone wants everyone else to succeed -- but just as long as they out-earn, out-perform, get more days off or have a prettier wife than them.

Think about it. How many of you reading this were happy when your best friend got his private pilots license, but a little jealous when he got his multi before you did.

Don't be shy...Raise your hand.

Remember the dot.com boom? Everyone was angry because 21 year old kids would graduate, get a fistfull of stock options of xyz.com, cash out for $8,000,000 and retire. But those same people were the ones gloating during the bursting of the dot.com bubble and preached, after the fact, how 'irrational' the era was -- even though they themselves had cashed out their children's college fund to dump into webvan.com and drkoop.com in hopes of capturing some of that "easy money".

Sadly, I see a lot of that in this very thread.

[ QUOTE ]
I on the other hand would be happy living in a $40,000 2 bedroom house in a nice neighbourhood

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know where I can find a house for 40 grand in a nice neighborhood. I am living in a nice area (an apartment) in Grand Forks ND, and the 3 bedroom houses are going for over 200 thousand.

I know you could find houses for that cheap, but they would need work and who knows what kind of area it would be in.

Seems we had the same train of thought Doug!! Kind of funny we were both typing something about his quote, you beat me by a few minutes though.

Caro, Michigan; live in the middle of a farm field. You can probably find a house for that.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
Seems we had the same train of thought Doug!! Kind of funny we were both typing something about his quote, you beat me by a few minutes though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to edit it and add some personal experience!
smile.gif
Re read!

[ QUOTE ]
Should we then donate everything else as Excess cash?

[/ QUOTE ]
No I'm not saying that at all, but I'm saying there is a difference between what we need and what we WANT. I don't think people should complain about not being able to afford to get their BMW detailed this weekend. OK so that's an extreme example. I think $100k a year or whatever is enough to buy everything you NEED and some of what you WANT, it's a rare case when someone has enough money to buy everything they WANT, maybe the King of Bruni who buys rare supercars in one of each color.

[ QUOTE ]
As a capitalist, I work under the idea that I want people to pay me for what I do. If they are not willing to pay me what **I** think it is worth,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree totatly, if you earn your money and are highly qualifed then you should be paid for your services. I belive doctors earn every dollar they get, hell I would want to be if I spent 12 yrs in college racking up large amounts of debt like my brother in law has.

I think my point is somewhere along the lines of we don't have unlimited incomes and we need to pick and choose what we spend it on. My cousin owns a 40f powerboat off living on a brewry worker's and teacher's sallery and paid to put their daugther through college. They like their boat and live in a slightly smaller house and drive slightly older cars in order to own it. Every thing in life is a trade off, unfortunatly you can't have it all.

As for the $45,000 house , that is the price my grandmother's house sold for in Portsmouth, VA. When I mean nice neabourhood I mean low crime and nice neabours not 'rich', I'd say it is very much a working class neabourhood, my grandad was a mechanic most of his life, but I'm not above living in a place like that.

Back