For aspiring military aviators

mhcasey

Alright I've decided to give back to the JC community here once and for all and hope some of you guys will help me out. Below is my mini perspective. With some input from the rest of the military aviators and the mods, maybe we can just sticky this one so we don't get a new "I want to be a military aviator but have no clue where to start" thread every few weeks. My story:

I just finished Air Force Initial Flight Screening last week. I start Euro-Nato Joint Jet Pilot Training (ENJJPT) 13 Oct. I am a reservist, so my route to a flying slot was a little bit different than active duty Air Force and probably a lotta bit different than Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, or Army. I'll try to point out the differences as I go. It's definitely different than ROTC, so if any of you guys took the other routes please post your stories. Here is the dumbed down timeline:

Apply, Interview, Medicals, IFS, UPT, RTU.

FIRST: Put together an application. For off the street guys (non prior service and not ROTC), This consists of the following and is pretty much what you need for guard/reserve or active duty (AD):

1. College Degree. You don't always need to have this in hand to apply, but some units will not look at you without one. Frogflyer got a slot while he was still finishing his degree, but you cannot attend Officer Training School (OTS) without one. Good grades help, but they look at the total person concept so dont panic if you're in the 2.X range. Technical degrees, at this time, will probably not give you a leg up, so study what you want and get good grades.
  2. Standardized tests. The Air Force has two: The Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT) and the Test of Basic Aviation Skills (TBAS). The AFOQT is kind of a goofy SAT with some aviation questions. The TBAS is basically a video game to test hand/eye coordination and multi tasking abilities. Go here: http://www.wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/AFOQTPrep/tabid/61/Default.aspx for more info. There is a page for the TBAS too at the same site.
  3. Cover Letter. Whatever you want...surf baseops.net for tips. Keep it professional and confident..."All I've ever wanted to do is fly" type comments generally take some heat at the squadron bar.
  4. Resume. See above. A little flight time goes a long way, but a lot doesn't go much further so don't blow your life savings to get your CPL if you don't intend to use it on the civilian side.
  5. Letters of Recommendation. I don't think these carry a lot of weight, but get them from people you know - preferably military aviators, and preferably O-6 or above (definitely not essential). I believe AD requires 5 LORs - I had 3 in my reserve package.
With AD you will do a lot more paperwork ahead of time with your recruiter. With guard/reserve you will do the paperwork after you have convinced a unit to sponsor you. I will interject here for a moment to say:

YOU WILL NEED A RECRUITER, SO TREAT HIM WELL!!! I know they screw stuff up and sometimes try to convince you to take jobs you really don't want, but your life will suck if you piss off your recruiter so just stick to your guns without being a dick or a pain in the ass.

SECOND: For AD you will provide all of the above to your recruiter and along with some other paperwork he will submit it for an OTS rated board. You will list pilot as your first choice, and whatever you want for your second and third (you don't have to list anything else). If you aren't selected for pilot, you can either take what they offer you or roll your application over to the next board - They're held ~ every 6 months.

For Guard/Reserve, you will submit the above information to whoever is in charge of collecting applications for UPT boards. Your unit may request additional information/paperwork. This part can get tricky because it's usually not easy to get in touch with the folks in charge of the board unless you are in the unit or know someone in the unit, but don't dismay - It's possible. I had pretty much zero ties with the unit the sponsored me. It just takes work and networking like anything else.

THIRD: Interview. I think AD has something sort of similar, but not really. For guard/reserve you will interview with a panel of folks at the unit. For me it was 6 O-5s. There is great gouge here: http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index.php?/forum/7-air-national-guard-air-force-reserves/ on interviews (btw...if anyone can tell me how to embed those links I will).

FOURTH: Physical Exams and Paperwork. Your recruiter will schedule all of this. There are two exams: The MEPS physical that all officer candidates take, and the Flying Class 1 (FC1) that only pilots/navs take. You can and probably will go to MEPS before your application goes anywhere. For guard/reserve you'll go whenever your unit tells you to go. For reserves you'll need to go before the UPT board that is held semi-annually. The FC-1 happens after OTS for AD guys. Guard and Reserve will go before OTS.

FIFTH: Officer Training School. Assuming you weren't hiding a criminal record and your physicals go fine, you'll attend OTS for 13.5 weeks at Maxwell AFB. Guard dudes only go for 6 weeks. AirforceOTS.com is a great site for gouge.

SIXTH: Initial Flight Screening. Pretty much everyone goes to this now. It's a ~4 week basic military flying course in Pueblo, CO. Notice the military flying I mentioned. I went in as a CFI and while it was a hell of a lot easier for me than the 0 time guys, it's definitely a different environment. I can't vouch for this yet, but it's supposed to be a pretty damn good preview to UPT.

SEVENTH: UPT. Most dudes go to Vance, Columbus, or Laughlin for this. ENJJPT is a little bit different track at Sheppard AFB. ROTC dudes apply for ENJJPT while in school. OTS AD dudes apply at OTS. Guard/Reserve it's pretty much up to your unit. At the end of the day everyone has wings. Baseops.net is your best source for info.

...SEVENTH...Everyone starts in the T-6. AD dudes track select at the end of phase 2 ~ half way through UPT. You'll either go T-1s, T-44s, or T-38s. I have no idea what the Air Force helo guys do...

EIGHTH: After UPT, T-1 dudes fly heavies (C-17s, KC-135s, AWACS, etc.), T-44 dudes fly C-130s, and T-38 dudes fly UAVs (just kidding...sort of). 38s are the only way to fighters/bombers, but that's no guarantee these days. Guard/Reserve dudes know their track select ahead of time because they'll be flying whatever the unit flies. Everyone flies T-38s at ENJJPT.

NINTH: Formal Trainig Unit (FTU). This is where you learn to fly the bird you'll fly for a living in the Air Force.

TENTH: Somewhere in there you'll go to Survival Evasion Resistance Escape (SERE)...could be after UPT, could be after FTU...kind of depends on where the Air Force fits you in. Fighter dudes also go to 6 weeks of Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals (IFF) before their FTU.

And there you have it. Here's my perspective:

APPLICATION

1. Degree: B.A. from the University of Texas at Austin, 3.6gpa.
  2. Scores: 99P, 98N, 97AA, 87V, 99Q, 99PCSM.
  3. Resume: 700hr CFI with some extra curriculars...ice hockey, cycling, work history, etc.
  4. LORs: Navy O-6 P-3 Pilot, Army O-6 retired (professor), Oooold Secretary of the Air Force (Dr. Hans Mark).
INTERVIEW

I scrounged around for contact information at about 20 units, but lucked out and got hired on the first go. I flew in on a Friday where my first "informal" interview took place at the squadron bar. The formal interview was Saturday morning and was pretty standard. The second "informal" interview was at the squadron Christmas party that night. I knew on Sunday I had the gig, but I've heard of this taking a while at other units.

PHYSICALS

I took both mine after being selected. This was a headache in a lot of ways. I'd recommend for other guard/reserve applicants to take care of the MEPS physical before applying. You can't do the FC-1 until you find a unit to pay for it. I didn't have any issues, but MEPS and Brooks (FC-1) will want any and all medical records you have...especially LASIK or PRK.

OTS

Not fun, but hey now I'm an Officer! (This is where the old timers around here chime in with degrading LT jokes...)

IFS

I finished in 3 weeks at Pueblo. If you are going anytime soon, hit me up and I'll give you a breakdown. Don't expect this place to be a joke. Controlling the aircraft is like 1% of your grade. We had several in my class self eliminate and a few that couldn't get over air sickness, but when I left nobody had actually failed out. It definitely happens though.

UPT

Like I mentioned before, I start ENJJPT in October. Gouge to follow...

FTU

F-16s somewhere next year...probably Luke AFB.

I've only been in for 4 months so I won't pretend to know anything about what the military lifestyle is really like, but I can tell you that I have absolutely no regrets. I wouldn't recommend going in with any hesitations. Think long and hard about why you want to join and if your answer is "to pull gs and fly fast" you should probably save up your money and show up to the Red Bull Air Races. If your wife/kids have serious qualms with it, figure that out ahead of time so you don't dick over the next dude that would give his left one for your slot. If you f***ing love America and want to kickass wherever the President wants you to, you'll love the military.

Longwinded post, but I hope this helps. Hit me up with any questions along the way.

Cheers,

- Mike

If you f***ing love America and want to kickass whoever the President is, and wherever he(she) wants you to, you'll love the military.

- Mike

Wonderful post Mike. With one addition - in bold.

I'm living the AFRC selection process right now.

THIRD: Interview. I think AD has something sort of similar, but not really.

Yes. For OTS positions you do this.

EIGHTH: After UPT, T-1 dudes fly heavies (C-17s, KC-135s, AWACS, etc.), T-44 dudes fly C-130s, and T-38 dudes fly UAVs (just kidding...sort of). 38s are the only way to fighters/bombers, but that's no guarantee these days. Guard/Reserve dudes know their track select ahead of time because they'll be flying whatever the unit flies. Everyone flies T-38s at ENJJPT.

C-130 guys in the Reserve can go either T-44 or T-1, depending on what your unit wants to pay for.

ENJJPT is no longer a guaranteed fighter.

[/B]Not fun, but hey now I'm an Officer! (This is where the old timers around here chime in with degrading LT jokes...)

WTF do you know about anything butterbar?

If you f***ing love America and want to kickass wherever the President wants you to, you'll love the military.

I just threw up a bit....

You should've stayed at OTS as an instructor with that attitude......

:D

I have no idea what the Air Force helo guys do...

APPLICATION

1. Degree: B.A. from the University of Texas at Austin, 3.6gpa.
  2. Scores: 99P, 98N, 97AA, 87V, 99Q, 99PCSM.
  3. Resume: 700hr CFI with some extra curriculars...ice hockey, cycling, work history, etc.
  4. LORs: Navy O-6 P-3 Pilot, Army O-6 retired (professor), Oooold Secretary of the Air Force (Dr. Hans Mark).

They go to Ft. Rucker and fly the UH-1.

Dude, your scores make me look like a dumbarse :D Anyway, nice writeup. Although, I wouldn't discount the importance of LORs, and would probably emphasize that internal recommendations help quite a bit.

They go to Ft. Rucker and fly the UH-1.

Dude, your scores make me look like a dumbarse :D Anyway, nice writeup. Although, I wouldn't discount the importance of LORs, and would probably emphasize that internal recommendations help quite a bit.

2 on the internal recs. I had my commander, my commander from disaster relief duty and a good (family) reputation on base when I received my slot.

SECOND: For AD you will provide all of the above to your recruiter and along with some other paperwork he will submit it for an OTS rated board. You will list pilot as your first choice, and whatever you want for your second and third (you don't have to list anything else). If you aren't selected for pilot, you can either take what they offer you or roll your application over to the next board - They're held ~ every 6 months.

So if I apply wanting to be a pilot, and they give me Commander of Toilet Duty instead, I can deny it and just go about my civilian life?

So if I apply wanting to be a pilot, and they give me Commander of Toilet Duty instead, I can deny it and just go about my civilian life?

Active-Duty-wise: For OTS yes. You know the job being offered priot to signing anything. For ROTC or Academy, no; you're committed prior to knowing what job you have. Downside is, there are FAR few pilot slot opporunities for OTS than for the other methods.

As usual, for Guard/Reserve you also know what you're going to be doing ahead of time.

Active-Duty-wise: For OTS yes. You know the job being offered priot to signing anything. For ROTC or Academy, no; you're committed prior to knowing what job you have. Downside is, there are FAR few pilot slot opporunities for OTS than for the other methods.

As usual, for Guard/Reserve you also know what you're going to be doing ahead of time.

Wow! I may have to consider Air Force again! I've always wanted to, but was under the assumption that I could sign and then end up like I said, cleaning toilets. I did some Army ROTC but decided the odds were not in my favor to fly, so I backed out. This changes everything :)

I tried, but they said I'd need at least a few years in space and missiles and about 100lbs of extra ass fat.

LOL!

The people that do stay there or get assigned there are weirdos.

Space and missiles, or some finance/engineer/personnel AFSC

I'm interested to see a detailed writeup of what IFS is currently like.

It is especially relevant around here (and airforceots.com) because of all the people who think they don't need to go because they all ready fly GA aircraft (or are a CFI, or regional pilot, etc).

I'm interested to see a detailed writeup of what IFS is currently like.

It is especially relevant around here (and airforceots.com) because of all the people who think they don't need to go because they all ready fly GA aircraft (or are a CFI, or regional pilot, etc).

I never did IFS only because it was closed during the whole T-3 debacle.

Agree, it is relevant. There were a number of GA flyers who washed out of UPT in my time there. I went there with an ATP and 4200 hours, but had the attitude that I'm a student who's here to learn whats being taught to me (whether it was something I already knew or not), and just operated as a sponge. My previous GA flying experience served only to help me understand stuff better or help my classmates to the same. Cooperate and graduate.

Because of the experience and positive, humble attitude I brought to UPT with me, it was an easy, little-stress adventure for me. Spent my weekends as a firefighter for the local county FD. Other guys who brought attitude or who were resistant to learning (but had experience....regional guys, CFIs etc) had a very tough time at UPT, most of it self-imposed.

Guard dudes only go for 6 weeks. AirforceOTS.com is a great site for gouge.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Air Guard officers will attended the full sixty day OTS in Maxwell starting this month.

Alex.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Air Guard officers will attended the full sixty day OTS in Maxwell starting this month.

Alex.

Normal OTS is 12 weeks. I did hear that AMS for the Guard moved to Maxwell from McGhee-Tyson, but I don't know if they've combined the courses yet or what the status is of that. But you are correct that there will eventually be one OTS.

It is sixty class days correct? I figured the number of weeks varies from class to class depending on holidays.

Alex.

I can't remember the actual training days off the top of my head.. Program overall is 12 weeks standard. Mine was 15 weeks overall due to holidays over December, etc.

I've got a bud heading to ANGOTS (or whatever the crap they're calling it) next month and he said it's a 6 week course.

Back