For aspiring military aviators

I've got a bud heading to ANGOTS (or whatever the crap they're calling it) next month and he said it's a 6 week course.

Yeah right now it'll still be the 6 week course, rumor is that it'll all go to the 12 week course at some point. Thats only rumor I've heard though.

http://www.aetc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123151639

The colonel said the AMS training will remain the same as at McGhee Tyson using the six-week training period, but OTS may explore "better ways to do business" for future classes.

This link (if it works) is a few months old, but as far as I know there haven't been any changes to the course curriculum since.

Wonderful post Mike. With one addition - in bold.

I'm living the AFRC selection process right now.

Do you think that being a Reserve pilot will be so much sweeter than DOD WxFcstr that you'll look past something like that? I think that would be an excellent question for a pilot board.

Having a little difficulty understanding your question.

I was prior enlisted, as an aviation meteorologist specializing in the CENTAF/CENTCOM AOR. Since separated, if I enter the military again, in any capacity, it'll be as a commission officer. I may end up back as a 1W, but I'd much rather end up flying or doing a different job than forecasting the weather again, although I was highly successful, the job satisfaction was not there.

I left the career field for a couple specific reasons. And I'm pretty certain that if going back in the military as a 1W was the only option, I'd end up staying out. Just not that into it anymore.

It is sixty class days correct? I figured the number of weeks varies from class to class depending on holidays.

Alex.

There are 60 training days, but there are A training days, IE there's TD 15 then TD 15A the next day. I think there are 2 others, 32 and something else.

Just another way to piss you off. Oh well, I'm out of here on Wednesday!!!!:beer::beer:

There are 60 training days, but there are A training days, IE there's TD 15 then TD 15A the next day. I think there are 2 others, 32 and something else.

Just another way to piss you off. Oh well, I'm out of here on Wednesday!!!!:beer::beer:

Actually it didn't used to be that way. Back when I was an OT LtCol I instituted these three additional days when it became clear that my lower class (Frogflyer) was spending more time on Jetcareers than on AEF preparation! Also, I think Frogflyer got like an 87 on his PFB...

Actually it didn't used to be that way. Back when I was an OT LtCol I instituted these three additional days when it became clear that my lower class (Frogflyer) was spending more time on Jetcareers than on AEF preparation! Also, I think Frogflyer got like an 87 on his PFB...

Lolz. Dude, our lower class is retarded. Avgs for SBT #1 were like 79-80, and CWT 1 avg was like 84. They didn't get 3d class until last tuesday, and we didn't get 3d Lt until Tuesday because of their retardation.

In reponse to your shenanigans above, I got a 100 on the PFA and won my squadron's Daniel Webster award. Woot. This time in 2 days I'll be an officer headed back to God's country. Double woot!

UGH. I could never fly for the military. I saw what those ACs went through every single day when I was in, at least in The Air Force. So glad I got to see that. Best of luck to everyone else who does want to fly for the military, though. ;)

Having a little difficulty understanding your question.

I was prior enlisted, as an aviation meteorologist specializing in the CENTAF/CENTCOM AOR. Since separated, if I enter the military again, in any capacity, it'll be as a commission officer. I may end up back as a 1W, but I'd much rather end up flying or doing a different job than forecasting the weather again, although I was highly successful, the job satisfaction was not there.

I left the career field for a couple specific reasons. And I'm pretty certain that if going back in the military as a 1W was the only option, I'd end up staying out. Just not that into it anymore.

Well I suppose that answer in board interviews would be a fair enough answer. If it were me, I'd be the one asking the "how serious are you about serving your country" questions. In other words, "why did you get out", "why do you want back in" kind of questions.

I used to have the biggest urge to fly an F-16.

I never actually did it, but I'm still a little jealous of those who have and will.

Sometimes, I wonder if I really wanted all aspects of that responsibility, or just to fly the coolest most badass flying machine I knew of.

The concept that a movement of my finger could unleash death on dozens of people in an instant sobers me. When I first decided I wanted to be a military aviator who knows how many years ago, that thought never occurred to me.

I've never fired a shot in anger, but I came as close as you can without actually doing it. It still makes me wonder.

For those of you considering military aviation, I suggest you ponder the idea. What these brave men and women do is about war, and they are in the business of blowing things up and killing people in the pursuit of the safety and freedom of the American people.

I'm sure for most of you, that gives you pause, and makes you wonder how you would feel if you had to push the button to release ordinance and kill human beings.

This post is mostly for the few of you who think that it wouldn't affect you, or just refuse to consider it.

When the time comes, you will. If you don't consider it then, do the world a favor and quit.

The concept that a movement of my finger could unleash death on dozens of people in an instant sobers me. When I first decided I wanted to be a military aviator who knows how many years ago, that thought never occurred to me.

I've never fired a shot in anger, but I came as close as you can without actually doing it. It still makes me wonder.

To bring even more perspective to it, think about how an ICBM crew down in a silo probably feels.

From the air perspective was far different than from the ground perspective, as I remember. The results were the same though.

Back