Flying recreationally

c172captain

How many of you airline folks still fly for fun on the side and/or own your aircraft?

EDIT: if you do own your own aircraft, what is it?

No, I don't fly recreationally....it's been since I started flying at a regional (4.5yrs).

I thought instructing was a great job, I loved going to the airport and most of the sights and sounds associated with it. Flying over familiar places and seeing things from my perch above.

Eventually I'll get back into it, probably finding a nice 152 to rent (I always liked them) and eventually getting my glider rating at a place in Vermont.

I couldn't afford it either. Haven't flown a single since, oh I dunno, August of 2006? The last flight I did for fun was sometime around May of 2006.

I still try. Would fly more if my airplane was closer to me than a 3 hour drive.

Own a Citabria.

How many of you airline folks still fly for fun on the side and/or own your aircraft?

EDIT: if you do own your own aircraft, what is it?
:hiya:

Luscombe Silveraire. Although It hasn't flown in a long time. Can't afford the annuals.

Old man's got part of a Citabria (7GCB) and the guy in his hanger has a cub and stearman I can fly whenever I want. I go flying almost every time I'm home with my dad.

It's nice to get away from the 121 world and not even turn on the radios or transponder or any of that crap. When I fly the cub I rarely get above 500 feet. It's relaxing.

I try to rent a cessna once every year or so just to make sure I remember how to operate one properly. I do this mainly out of fear that my airline will go out of business and I will be thrust back into the world of instructing.

Aside from that it's just too expensive, and with only 10-11 days a month at home there is no time.

About once a month with former students who own their own planes. (Meaning I don't pay for it). Owned my plane until last year (Musketeer), but couldn't justify in keeping it financially.

I'm safe, but my landings are absolutely terrible now in a single engine GA plane.

I absolutely love GA flying...

I haven't flown GA in over 2 years, and I miss it. I'd go back to my old survey job if I could be paid the same and have the same schedule. A friend of mine is getting his PPL soon, so hopefully I'll be able to go up with him once and a while.

Maybe one day I'll buy a Piper Cub to putt around in.

I couldn't afford it either. Haven't flown a single since, oh I dunno, August of 2006? The last flight I did for fun was sometime around May of 2006.

Poor excuse. I own a 152 that I fly for 25-30 bucks an hour.

I'd love to own my own airplane someday. I've always wanted an old Taylorcraft , maybe someday when I hit that lotto.

I fly my plane every few weeks. I own a 1961 Cessna 310. Anybody in the market for one? IFR GPS equipped 175kts true.

Not an airline pilot but still being an instructor I don't fly for fun very much either.

To me it's like a gynecologist going home and looking at vaginas recreationally. Hmm ok bad example.

How about a cashier going home after work and playing around with a toy till?

Same with flight simulator. I used to love MSFS until i realized i just spent all day doing this for work...Why do it in my off time? i guess flying is kind of different though than reproductive organs and cash registers. Still more work than recreation for me though.

Back