Flying recreationally

Not an airline pilot but still being an instructor I don't fly for fun very much either.

To me it's like a gynecologist going home and looking at vaginas recreationally. Hmm ok bad example.

How about a cashier going home after work and playing around with a toy till?

Same with flight simulator. I used to love MSFS until i realized i just spent all day doing this for work...Why do it in my off time? i guess flying is kind of different though than reproductive organs and cash registers. Still more work than recreation for me though.

No, it's a great example.

Except for the fact that people don't practice Woman's medicine for a hobby.

People fly planes around as a hobby, and thus it throws a little wrench into our ability to separate ourselves from our work environment. That and, people think that because we have some sort of notion of "dreaming" quality of flying, that we would love to do it everyday, every hour, and every minute of that day.

But hey - good example nonetheless. Needed to be said.

No, it's a great example.

Except for the fact that people don't practice Woman's medicine for a hobby.
I wouldn't be so sure of that...

The problem is, so many people would like to do it every hour of every day. or at least they think they do. It's that attitude that spawns the PFJ peeps

Ok sure, so what if they don't pay me? At least i'm flying a cool jet!

Ugh

Not an airline pilot but still being an instructor I don't fly for fun very much either.

until i realized i just spent all day doing this for work...Why do it in my off time? i guess flying is kind of different though than reproductive organs and cash registers. Still more work than recreation for me though.

For me, there is a world of distance between flying for work and flying for fun. Tooling around at 2500 feet, at 80 knots with the doors and radio off brings back what aviation really is. That said, did I think like that when I was a CFI and regional pilot? No I didn't, but you will reach a point in your career, if you stick with it long enough, that you probably will think the same way as me. And for some, they never will. To each their own.

I would fly for fun if I could afford it. Right now every penny I make goes towards paying bills. If I get a decent paying job, I would love to grab a C-172 and go sightseeing on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon, but I can't do that right now.

Love to fly. Catalina is a great trip in the Chessnuh. Out east, fly the amphib around the lake once/twice a week and a to fly-in once a year in NY.

edit:: You were asking airline folks. I apologize, I didn't read your question more carefully. I do flight instruct though. :p

Back