Flying over Wal-Marts

All of the new stores have skylights. A computerized system adjusts the number of fluorescent lights that are on during the day in order to achieve a certain amount of "light" in the store. So on a bright sunny day there might not be any lights on. On a cloudy day, maybe only half the lights are on. And at night all of the lights are on.

This saves an amazing amount of energy (and money) per store. So you can imagine what thousands of them nationwide saves. Just one of a number of environmental initiatives the company is embarking on worldwide.

Lights in the refrigerators are now on motion sensors, stores in desert climates use evaporative cooling, rainwater recycling for irrigation, hybrid trucks are in the works... you name it, they've thought of it.

Please be respectful in your responses.

Too bad they copied it from Costco.

I noticed a Target store with a giant bullseye painted on the roof on final into ORD last week. I cracked up.

I did the same. I believe it's on the 27R final approach, good advertising technique I guess for all the people looking out the windows.

Why is that too bad??:confused:
Every company should strive to be efficient.

Agreed. A good idea is a good idea, nomatter where it comes from. Sam Walton used to bring a yellow legal pad into competitors stores and write down the good things he saw them doing. The next day his company would be doing the same.

Agreed. A good idea is a good idea, nomatter where it comes from. Sam Walton used to bring a yellow legal pad into competitors stores and write down the good things he saw them doing. The next day his company would be doing the same.

They should teach a whole semester in buisness school about Sam Walton.

Can you tell the powers that be to put more shopping cart returns in the parking lot? I think the usual patron of Wal-Mart is either to fat and or lazy to walk them them back. Its like driving through a autocross track to get to space.

Meh, I just push the carts out of the way with my CFI-mobile. 194000 miles FTW.

Wal-Mart was the only platform large enough to effectively launch the Sacagawea $...and I've got 7 supercenters within 15-20 minutes of my house...and I love it.

And the Wal-Mart about 1.5 miles from the approach end of runway 7 in KFSM has plenty of fancy, granola approved, oversized skylights to stare at from the sky.

Walmart has been making strides to get away from their poor image and have recently replaced their guy in charge. A lot of positive things have been coming out in the past couple years and it will only get better. the people shopping there... well, there isnt much you can do about that. But hey, I can say that i really dont like the shoppers that shop at bloomingdales or anywhere for that matter. People are just lazy, disrespectful, and generally classless when it comes to shopping and i for one can't seem to understand why. Customers complain about a mess but its the customers that are making the mess :confused:

You could put a cart return in every parking space and they'd still get left wherever... people are *that* lazy.

So true. I saw the laziest act (or inact I guess) at Walmart last week. A lady went to grab a bag of chips from the impulse buy aisle right by the checkout counter. When she grabbed it, another one fell off the shelf and onto the floor. She looks down at it for about 3 seconds and walks away.

*facepalm*

Why is that too bad??:confused:
Every company should strive to be efficient.

:p Actually, it's not. Hell, for all I know, Wallyworld came up with the idea first. I just personally refuse to give my money to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores since Sam Walton passed away, and his successors decided to dump his "Buy American" campaign for cheap crap made in China.

No offense meant Zap. By the way, how's the velour?;)

Oye... with a newborn on the way... 300+diapers per month - I can stand to buy crap rags at Sam's. They also have those heart attack in a wrapper huge chocolate muffins :)

Oye... with a newborn on the way... 300+diapers per month - I can stand to buy crap rags at Sam's. They also have those heart attack in a wrapper huge chocolate muffins :)

I went to Costco and bought their Kirkland brand diapers for my triplets. Quality was as good / better than national brands, (Huggies etc.) They have everything I need for a family with four kids. IMO, Costco blows Sam's out of the water.BJ's too. Plus, $1.50 for a dog and soda ain't bad either!:rawk:

the people shopping there... well, there isnt much you can do about that.

I respectfully disagree.
Aesthetics and minute changes in the environment could make all the difference. The music playing on the speakers (is there any at WM?), the color of the flooring, the uniforms on the employees (many at WM wear their own sweatpants)...

I've heard before that grocery stores with softer lighting tend to have less crying babies, therefore more happy mom-shoppers.

Kinda like the Broken Window Theory in NYC.

Maybe, just maybe, a change in decor would change the rate of deadbeat moms dragging their kids by the arm through the store, or smacking them in the face in the toothpaste aisle.

Walmart has been remodelings existing stores for a few years now and all the new stores arent the same old dirty white tiles, red line around each area, and gross carpeting. The lighting has been improved to be more natural and even the shelves and racks are getting improvements. And you can go to any store, ie. macy's, penny's, publix, shoprite, and still see many of the same issues. Class doesn't matter when it comes to people being classless. Dropping a bag of potato chips on the floor and looking at it and walking over it or running your shopping cart over it because it was in your way happens everywhere and is just plain trashy. There is music playing at walmart stores too. The same music you will find in many places.

Oye... with a newborn on the way... 300+diapers per month - I can stand to buy crap rags at Sam's.

I've got a two year old who is only now starting to potty train, so I feel qualified to speak about diapers. We tried a variety of brands in the beginning from store-brands to national brands. The BEST that we found in our area were the Sam's Club Member's Mark brand. (There is no Costco in town so I can't speak for the Kirkland brand).

The Member's Mark are .11 cents per diaper, which was far cheaper than any of the national brands. Like you, we were nervous about the cost of 300 diapers per month. They worked great. No leaks, no blowouts once we made the switch to Member's Mark. We kept him in those until we switched to Pull-Ups and still use them at night.

I like the $0.99 store because sometimes I don't want to get all dressed up to go to Wal-Mart.

Back