Flying into Oakland IFR

kevmor99

I was just curious what the local procedures are for a C172 coming from the northeast. It's probably going to be VMC at night, do they mind doing an ILS/GPS approach over a visual if it's not IMC? Would I be vectored around to the final approach course or do they have you start somewhere around SUNOL (and in that case, would they assign a STAR?)

You're overthinking this thing. You will NEVER get a STAR in a C172, especially to a class C airport like OAK. You can probably get any practice approach into 27R. 29 would be iffy since it's the part 121 airline runway, but during off peak hours (especially the middle of the night) you can get approaches into most big airports, even the biggest class Bs. The one thing to watch out for is that the final approach segments between 29 and 27R get close to converging, so that may be a factor in their limiting the availability of a 27R approach. I'd highly doubt it though, Norcal Approach is usually top notch and professional.

I've never shot any of the approaches to 27R, but I have done closed traffic on the north field a few times, and they bring you in over lake Chabot from the SE to keep you well clear of the 29 arrivals and HWD. From the NE, the VFR entry would be via the Mormon Temple in the Oakland Hills, but IFR would be radar vectors (possibly as far south as SUNOL). Go up and ask Norcal approach sometime. The worst they can say is "no." :)

(And if you want to avoid rejection, I'd suggest calling Norcal approach and asking what the best time would be for them if they could accommodate that.)

You're overthinking this thing. You will NEVER get a STAR in a C172, especially to a class C airport like OAK.

I hate to be a contrarian but I have totally gotten the Panoche arrival every time I've come into OAK IFR from the Southeast in a 172. It's been about three years and maybe things have changed but I used to just count on it when coming up from LA.

I hate to be a contrarian but I have totally gotten the Panoche arrival every time I've come into OAK IFR from the Southeast in a 172. It's been about three years and maybe things have changed but I used to just count on it when coming up from LA.
Then tell them no. Someone is not thinking there if they are assigning such a slow airplane a star.

Doesn't that arrival have a min altitude of FL230 at one point?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, that's really surprising, especially given how many airways end up at SUNOL anyway. Did they make you comply with the 8000 ft restriction at BORED? What if you're cruising at a lower altitude (but still above MEAs/MOCHAs)? I would not have expected that. But then again I guess most of the practice approach training aircraft originate pretty close by so they'd get vectors anyway.

Maurus said:
Doesn't that arrival have a min altitude of FL230 at one point?

Turbojets: FL240, and FL270 if coming from Gorman.

Do any of you AMF'ers ever get STARs into OAK in the Chieftain or 99? I didn't even think that happened...

Then tell them no. Someone is not thinking there if they are assigning such a slow airplane a star.
I had no reason to say no. I'm fine with it. I was on an IFR plan and that was pretty much my route anyway.

Wow, that's really surprising, especially given how many airways end up at SUNOL anyway. Did they make you comply with the 8000 ft restriction at BORED? What if you're cruising at a lower altitude (but still above MEAs/MOCHAs)? I would not have expected that. But then again I guess most of the practice approach training aircraft originate pretty close by so they'd get vectors anyway.

Turbojets: FL240, and FL270 if coming from Gorman.
Correct - the Gorman transition has the FL240 restriction. I was always on the Avenall transition and cruising at 10k to 12k anyway. I don't recall whether or not they kept me at 8k until BORED but it wouldn't surprise me. I get STARs and DPs all the time in our 172s and Aztecs - I just got the KNEAD6 STAR on my way bringing another one of our 172s back into Dallas Exec(RBD) last week. Heck I just thought this was SOP.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N12796/history/20120914/2215Z/KLBB/KRBD

Do any of you AMF'ers ever get STARs into OAK in the Chieftain or 99? I didn't even think that happened...
man transition with the FL240 restriction. ATC hasn't said a word abut being 14000 ft under the required altitude...

Correct - the Gorman transition has the FL240 restriction. I was always on the Avenall transition and cruising at 10k to 12k anyway. I don't recall whether or not they kept me at 8k until BORED but it wouldn't surprise me. I get STARs and DPs all the time in our 172s and Aztecs - I just got the KNEAD6 STAR on my way bringing another one of our 172s back into Dallas Exec(RBD) last week. Heck I just thought this was SOP.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N12796/history/20120914/2215Z/KLBB/KRBD
We're 135 and we, or at least I, still avoid stars like the plague. XXX fly the abc trans.... cancel.

Yea.... I get random STAR's everywhere. I even got some crap arrival into Midland TX in an archer..... I was pffffttt REALLY! I had to dig it out and everything. Then halfway through they vectored me.

at least I think it was MAF. Everything is fuzzy these days.

There's nothing wrong with them...

Some can get silly, but in general I agree. Worst I've ever seen was an additional 2 minutes added to what I planned. If the company doesn't complain, 2, even 10 minutes doesn't bother me one bit. Enroute, I prefer IFR to VFR though.

I've only heard of one guy ever get a practice approach to 29 at OAK. An JAL student asked for one in a bonanza, Norcal literally laughed at him and told him no way in hell could he ever do that. Norcal then came back and said, "Actually, you know what, no arrivals or departures for the next 14 minutes, I can do it for you this once, but never ask me again". Never hurts to ask.

Any notes on a Sid/Star like "turbo jet aircraft only " or " for aircraft at 14000 and below" are for pilot planning purposes only and not a restriction to ATC. ATC can assign any route either published or not as they see fit for seperation, flow purposes.

Back