Flying into Oakland IFR

Going IFR into KDTO two summers ago in the 206, I got assigned the SASIE2 arrival. It seemed pretty pointless, especially when the end of the STAR is depart TADDI intersection heading 260 and wait for ATC to give you vectors. I remember we flew for a good 15 minutes before ATC decided to let us back in towards KDTO and shoot the ILS.

Going IFR into KDTO two summers ago in the 206, I got assigned the SASIE2 arrival. It seemed pretty pointless, especially when the end of the STAR is depart TADDI intersection heading 260 and wait for ATC to give you vectors. I remember we flew for a good 15 minutes before ATC decided to let us back in towards KDTO and shoot the ILS.

It may seem pointless, but that heading keeps you parallel the DFW arrivals, and puts you in the east/west corridor with enough room laterally to turn an ILS into DFW.

Just some gee whiz info for you :)

Any notes on a Sid/Star like "turbo jet aircraft only " or " for aircraft at 14000 and below" are for pilot planning purposes only and not a restriction to ATC. ATC can assign any route either published or not as they see fit for seperation, flow purposes.

That could get pilots into trouble though. Usually a "turbojet aircraft only" restriction on the STAR comes with high speed restrictions that non turbojet guys cant comply with.

When it comes to STARs I find it funny. For some reason my company has some flight plans that have the routing but not the STAR filed. Randomly ATC gives me the star and absolutely nothing changes as the STAR doesn't have anything extra such as headings.

Often, letters of agreement between different ATC facilities exist such that one facility must assign a STAR or other "preferential arrival," even if there is no actual difference from the route you're flying. On our computers, we have to click some blue route elements to make the computer happy and fulfill the LOA. Otherwise we have to call the next facility and ask for you to be in the computer not on the preferential. Easier to put you on the STAR.

I hate to be a contrarian but I have totally gotten the Panoche arrival every time I've come into OAK IFR from the Southeast in a 172. It's been about three years and maybe things have changed but I used to just count on it when coming up from LA.
Anyone on here speak spanish? Does the panoche arrival sound as funny to you as it does to me?

Anyone on here speak spanish? Does the panoche arrival sound as funny to you as it does to me?

I used to work construction, and we had at least four guys on the crew named Juan. One of them went by Juan Panoche. No one told me it was funny for several months.

Wait, who puts a piston on a STAR? Because you're not wrong, it does happen. I remember a couple of times we were hot-footin it in to Fort Meyers or like Miami in the FemaleDogJet and we had to stay up to get past some riddlerat in a 172, which inevitably led to a lot of panicked flap-dumping and gear swinging to arrive at the threshold at a speed which would allow us not to decorate the interestate on the other side. Controllers want to chime in on this one?

The conventional nav SIDs and STARs out of the DFW area are assigned to piston aircraft. As are many in the Houston terminal area. They often include "expect" altitudes which are different for props vs jets. It keeps everyone flowing through the proper arrival and departure corridors. Once clear of conflicting traffic, controllers can pull the aircraft off the procedure and vector them, but they always at least come into the airspace on a STAR unless verbally coordinated.

The faster jet traffic is kept above the prop traffic. These aren't STARs with mandatory altitudes, ATC is still issuing the descents (in the case of the DFW area ones)

Then tell them no. Someone is not thinking there if they are assigning such a slow airplane a star.

I've got the OLM into Seattle several times when coming from the south in a 172. Although I've never been given a STAR flying anywhere in the Bay area before. I haven't flown into OAK specifically but I have flown into several of the airports around there.

Any notes on a Sid/Star like "turbo jet aircraft only " or " for aircraft at 14000 and below" are for pilot planning purposes only and not a restriction to ATC. ATC can assign any route either published or not as they see fit for seperation, flow purposes.
Where do you get that info...?

Thanks! Just always consider my sources. I always was under the impression that those were mandatory restictions as far as filing etc.

Back