Flying into KJFK

MirageCM

My friend called me up and asks if I would fly into KJFK with him in his Skyhawk to pick someone up. Anyone have any tips for us before we go?

Hours

Just avoid the peak times.

Go in or out between 11PM and 6AM and you'd have the least amount of other traffic to worry about.

There are also dead spots throughout the afternoon but not like there used to be.

I would also just be sure to pay close attention to the radio-just listen up-
depending on the time of day you go- missing a radio call or having a mix up can piss of ATC quick. And have a plan of where you are taxiing to,etc..

Also-be somewhat familiar with the taxi diagram/route that you plan to get to get to/from the GAT- I'm not saying memorize the chart......but just dont make the 1st time you open the diagram is when you just pulled off the runway.

AND DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TELL THE CONTROLLER YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING!!!

I swear every couple of weeks some Citation will land at Newark and they'll tell the controller that they're familiar with the airport and the next thing you know the controller is ready to jump through the radio to strangle said Citation driver because they're not going where they were told to go, and Newark is one of the easiest airports in the world to operate at!

The easiest way to navigate a busy class B airport is to file IFR. All you have to do is follow instructions and get lined up for the active runway which eliminates the chances of getting lined up for the wrong runway and handles the sequencing for you.

If you are capable and feel comfortable keep your speed up as much as possible on final and plan to land within the best of your ability to make the most convenient turnoff as you will be a spacing nightmare. If you can fly an approach at 120 or so it would be a large help to the controllers.

Have the airport diagram blown up a to notebook paper size and study it a little. Find out where you are picking up your pax and figure out which routes you will most likely get depending on where you land. Have the non flying pilot work the radios on the ground and work the diagram and give you instructions while you concentrate on movement.

If you can accept it accept a visual on a smaller runway with a hold short or even offer it to the controller on initial contact that you would be willing to accept it.

I used to fly to a few Class Bs while I was a CFI doing a little part 91 work for customers who owned airplanes and it was a little overwhelming at first but not a big deal in the end. Do not let anyone tell you that a cessna has no right to be at a bigger airport because it is general use and just makes the controllers plan a little better to fit the puzzle together.

Never seen one of those there! Anyway, Alpha goes clockwise; Bravo goes counterclockwise. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the comments. Does anyone know if we will need a slot time?

Ummm...in a 172...no. They probably won't have the plans for you until you show up and then figure out what/where the heck they're going to stick you.

EDIT: Have the person getting picked up go to a smaller, nearby airport.

Slots do not apply to you. The advice given here is spot on... file IFR if you can, it'll make things much easier on you. As long as you don't attempt this on a swap night or during peak volume you should not have a problem. Every now and then you see a single going into JFK.

On the off chance you have a problem drop me a PM, I know a few people over there I can put you in touch with.

Let us know how it goes.

tell me that was yer 172 disabled at the end of 4L yesterday?!?! very strange to see a 172 tied down in the runup area in jfk. “everyone departing 4L please use idle thrust when rounding the corner, there is a disabled cessna in the runup block”

tell me that was yer 172 disabled at the end of 4L yesterday?!?! very strange to see a 172 tied down in the runup area in jfk. “everyone departing 4L please use idle thrust when rounding the corner, there is a disabled cessna in the runup block”

No it wasn't me.

I'd try to get in touch with somebody from the airport operations office (or whatever they call it) and see if there's and pre-printed literature for GA pilots like you. That should make life easier for you. Try one of the FBO's at the field (if they have any!)

dont think i'd take a small GA into jfk. not because i'd be worried about me, but i'd be concerned about how much of a headache i'd cause to others. many layers of others from atc, to other pilots, and so on. if i've got a small plane i'm using it to go to far more convenient airfields. then again, if ya got the cash and don't care what kind of a mess yer flying into, or what kind of mess you might cause then go nutts. its a free country. buzzzzzz-putt-putt-buzzzzzzzz

Did you see the prop tips on that thing? Someone forgot to put their gear down. It looked like a 182RG to me though.

Definitely go in IFR. I heard a cirrus trying to land at JFK VFR a while ago and ATC told him expect a one hour delay. Also review wake turbulance avoidance procedures.

I'd skip JFK and head a little farther East to ISP. They are MUCH more suited to small GA traffic. Or, if JFK is a must, I'd try to go in at the 0-dark-30 hours when the commercial traffic is much lighter.

My friend called me up and asks if I would fly into KJFK with him in his Skyhawk to pick someone up. Anyone have any tips for us before we go?

Want to win friends at KJFK? Show up in an already overcrowded chaotic situation consisting of heavy metal Congo lines in a C172! I can hear the groans already.

My advice: Please find an alternative landing site and pickup point that is a little more GA friendly. JFK is no place for a C172.

Back