Flying into KJFK

Land into JFK before 3pm (which is peak fee time as well as peak international traffic time) don't worry about the other planes just take an intersection departure. And you don't have to worry about getting lost, as a pilot u should have an airport diagram anyway

I'm pretty sure the pax were at JFK and probably had no intention of moving over to a smaller airport from there. MirageCM was asking about flying into JFK, not whether or not they should.

Do it. Forget what people are saying that smaller aircraft do not belong. I would have no problem being slowed a few knots into EWR for a cessna to come in. I get slowed and delayed and held anyway so I wouldnt even notice the difference. I would make space for you.

Do it. Forget what people are saying that smaller aircraft do not belong. I would have no problem being slowed a few knots into EWR for a cessna to come in. I get slowed and delayed and held anyway so I wouldnt even notice the difference. I would make space for you.

You're the exception. Most guys I fly with are spewing profanity at all of the "damned replacement jets in our way," so you can imagine what most of them would think about a Cessna doing 90 knots on final. There's a place for Cessnas, and JFK isn't it. There's a reason that this government funds so many tiny little airports that get little use. Take your Cessna there. That's what they're for.

There's a reason that this government funds so many tiny little airports that get little use. Take your Cessna there. That's what they're for.

I would not use JFK to go visit NYC, but if I am picking up a friend who is airlining into JFK I will use it whether I am in a Skyhawk or a Citation.

Alex.

Has this flight been done????

I could see an older C172 making its way across the taxiway just before noon today, and i wonder if it was the person on the board flying it. There were 2 people on board from what i could tell from my window.

Try landing at KLDJ. Once you land take the NJ transit train right into Penn Station in like 20 minutes.

You should fly into JFK and then hop over into Newark... Then you should head South down to Atlanta and then go back through Memphis and head North to Minneapolis before finally making your way back through Chicago (Midway AND O'hare) and Detroit and before finally making your way back to New York LauGardia .. :panic::panic::panic::panic:... That would be funny... My point is... Go to what ever airport you want... You have the right... Don't listen to all the other fussy people telling you that you don't belong...:)
:yup:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5093R/history/20080811/1025Z/KIPT/KJFK

People do it all the time. This flight was from today. Don't listen to the haters. I'm an airline pilot and my opinion is that as long as you're super prepared, you'll be fine (listen to a couple hours of JFK ATC off LiveATC.net to get the "flow", study the taxiway diagram, call the tower supervisor before you go to find the best "windows" - number can be found from a call to a FSS, etc.)

The guys on here who are advising against it are just afraid of you dinking around, having no clue what's going on, causing a runway incursion, etc. It can easily happen if you're not prepared.

I find that if ATC keeps you high and tight enough, they can give you a tight turn to final, while you simultaneously point your nose straight at the ground, keep all the power in, trim it full nose down, and do Vne or close to it all the way down. At any rate flying into CLE, MDW etc has never been a big deal, but I probably deal with fast talking ATC alot more than the leisure guy in his cirrus who deals with Bud at his home base class D.

#### 'em. Go in to JFK. Block or better.

I'd pay money to hear a guido controller say "XXXX heavy, 13R, cleared for takeoff. Caution wake turb, departing 172."

Flying into CLT yesterday was kind of funny. I was flying a Piper Seneca. "US Air XXX, you're number two following a heavy Seneca on a three mile final. Use caution for prop wash."

Flying into CLT yesterday was kind of funny. I was flying a Piper Seneca. "US Air XXX, you're number two following a heavy Seneca on a three mile final. Use caution for prop wash."

:yup::yup::yup:

That's hilarious. Wish I'd heard that.

Only funny thing I've heard on freq was this, the day I came back from my checkride...

ME: "McKinney Tower, Cessna 123XX 7miles south at the lake, landing."
TKI: <sigh> "If you must..."

I'd skip JFK and head a little farther East to ISP. They are MUCH more suited to small GA traffic. Or, if JFK is a must, I'd try to go in at the 0-dark-30 hours when the commercial traffic is much lighter.

VERY good advice!

If your primary motivation is to put C172 and KJFK on the same line in your logbook, do yourself a favor and do it late at night when the traffic levels are a bit more sane. All but one of my flights into ATL in a 172/PA-28 were done after 2300 or so. The one time I did go into Atlanta in the middle of the day in a Cherokee 140 was probably one of the most overwhelming flying experiences I've ever had, and I wasn't even the one behind the controls when we were landing! I was making more radio calls and calling traffic more than I'd care to in something that small. It was a bit humerous when we taxi'd past the international terminal on our way out of there, my cousing popped the door open and started waving to the folks waiting for their flights.

Flight completed! No problems at all. The weather worked out for us. And for all the people telling us not to fly into JFK...this was my first flight and my friend's first IFR flight after getting our ratings, and our first on steam guages IFR. The G1000 is nice, but this flight was all round guages. Total flight time ended up being around 5 hrs with 1.2 hrs actual. The trip was great.

Flight completed! No problems at all. The weather worked out for us. And for all the people telling us not to fly into JFK...this was my first flight and my friend's first IFR flight after getting our ratings, and our first on steam guages IFR. The G1000 is nice, but this flight was all round guages. Total flight time ended up being around 5 hrs with 1.2 hrs actual. The trip was great.

When did you go?????

I made a pic of a C172 taxing by in JFK while we were waiting to taxi from the CRJ..... I wonder if it was you.

When did you go?????

I made a pic of a C172 taxing by in JFK while we were waiting to taxi from the CRJ..... I wonder if it was you.

It was yesterday (8/11). We landed around 10am. Were you behind us during taxi and the one who thought we were a Skylane?

Next step, go on to liveatc.net and find the archive of your radio transmissions and save it to your computer as a souvenir (and post the link here too so we can listen). From someone who still finds JFK a pretty intimidating place to fly into, congrats!

Back