Fly for the FAA Administrator

dcramer16

Boy would I be a nervous Nancy working this job. Found on Findapilot.com and confirmed on USAJOBS.GOV

Federal Aviation Administration

Airplane Pilot

Salary: $88,017 - $136,395 per Year
Job Description:
The successful candidate will serve as a commercial pilot on multi-engine turbo-jet airplanes; conduct recurring flight and system training for FAA pilots, and administer proficiency, standardization, and flight checks in assigned aircraft. Operations (some performed under CFR Part 135) may include extended flights transporting passengers or cargo to and from a variety of domestic and foreign airports. Equipment flown may be either standard models of civilian aircraft or specially modified or equipped for a particular mission. The incumbent will be required to attend formal training on a recurring basis. The incumbent may be subject to twenty-four hour on-call duty to support the requirements of the FAA Administrator and his/her staff, National Transportation Safety Board and Department of Transportation officials, members of the President's cabinet, and members of Congress.

Job description
Minimum Requirements:
Total Flight Time--Flight time as pilot-in-command or copilot in aircraft of any weight or category is creditable for this requirement. For inservice placements actions, up to one-fourth of the total flight hours may by waived for candidates who have demonstrated possession of the knowledge and skills needed to perform the work, provided: They hold the certificates and ratings required; They have acquired the pilot-in-command hours and flight hours in other categories essential to performance of the work; They meet the requirements in terms of level and quality of experience; and Their flying history indicates they are qualified for the position. 2. Pilot-In-Command--Only flight hours acquired as pilot-in-command are creditable. 3. Night Flying--For inservice placement actions at the GS-11 level and above, 25 hours may be waived if the candidate demonstrates the ability to perform the work. 4. Flying Time, Last 12 Months--Required only for positions that involve flying. The flight hours specified apply to competitive appointments. For inservice placement actions, up to one-half of the flight hours may be waived provided the individual's total background reflects the ability to perform the duties of the position safely. For positions flying both helicopters and airplanes, at least one-fourth of the total hours must be in either category of aircraft.

Category 1. Total Flight Time; GS-9 = 1200 Hours; GS-11 and above = 1500 Hours;
Category 2. Pilot-In-Command; GS-9 = 250 Hours; GS-11 and above = 250 Hours;
Category 3. Night Flying; GS-9 = 50 Hours; GS-11 and above = 75 Hours;
Category 4. Flying Time, Last 12 Months; GS-9= 100 Hours; GS-11 and above = 100 Hours

Could you imagine flying for the FAA Administrator, having him look over your shoulder all the time, or even god forbid sit up front with you and see if you're following all the rules to the "T"

Make sure to read the entire posting on usjobs. I think I read somewhere you need an ATP and a type in a Gulfstream.

Boy would I be a nervous Nancy working this job. Found on Findapilot.com and confirmed on USAJOBS.GOV

Could you imagine flying for the FAA Administrator, having him look over your shoulder all the time, or even god forbid sit up front with you and see if you're following all the rules to the "T"

So be it, that's what I do anyway. Side's the Administrator is non-essential stress inducing personnel, and unless he's going to out and out ramp check me, and ask for a ride along, he's just a passenger like any other, and can stay in the back.

OTHER INFORMATION:

Applicants must possess an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate with multi-engine land airplane rating and a type rating in a Citation XL, Gulfstream, G-IV preferred or similar turbojet aircraft acceptable. Applicants must also possess a valid Flight Instructor Certificate with multi-engine airplane and instrument airplane ratings.

This would be a great job. Are you kidding? I wish I was young enough to do something like this. Why? Federal retirement!

Flying the FAA Administrator must be the most fun you can have with your pants on. Can you imagine a Passenger with any less of a clue? :p

Flying the FAA Administrator must be the most fun you can have with your pants on. Can you imagine a Passenger with any less of a clue? :p

"Yes sir, barrel rolls are authorized in this aircraft per 91.954, a1. Perfectly legal sir, in fact, you encouraged them last year in your speech to EAA."

This would be a great job. Are you kidding? I wish I was young enough to do something like this. Why? Federal retirement!

1% pension with a 5% 401K (Thrift Savings Plan) match, and social security (if there's anything left by then) at age 59 1/2. Good, but not as good as it used to be. Definitely not as good as people think, I get the impression that people think we retire at 100% after 20 years or something.

FAA Administrators are appointed political hacks, most are not pilots and don't have a clue about aviation.

Federal Retirements ain't as good as they use to be. Anybody going in now will draw 1% of their highest three years times years of service under FERS. They also have a 401K type plan to help out and gov't matches the first 5% of what you put in.

Most Fed Journeyman pilots are GS12 or 13. On the high side a non law enforcement GS13 step 10 right now makes about 92K a year (you wouldn't make that starting out, more like 40K)

Figure 100K high 3 x 30 years = 30k a year retirement plus what ever you can draw from your 401K.... But on the other hand its a guaranteed 30K a year, unlike my money market account. Thank God for the old Civil Service Retirement:nana2:

Law Enforcement types, and pilots like CBP or DEA guys calculate differently

1% pension with a 5% 401K (Thrift Savings Plan) match, and social security (if there's anything left by then) at age 59 1/2. Good, but not as good as it used to be. Definitely not as good as people think, I get the impression that people think we retire at 100% after 20 years or something.

Beat me to the punch, I didn't see your post:D Oh and I forgot about SS, probably because I don't get it anyway:bandit:

"Yes sir, barrel rolls are authorized in this aircraft per 91.954, a1. Perfectly legal sir, in fact, you encouraged them last year in your speech to EAA."

Sir, why do you keep pointing out oil coming out of the engines? Don't you know, only the flight attendants are allowed to interfere and get pilots in trouble? Now, just lean back, relax and enjoy the flight!

Then Pilot proceeds to lean over to FO, slaps him heavily and wispers: "For heavens sake John, if this guy is right, we are in deep poohoo!"

It's still decent. But not what it used to be. For those who are new entrants to federal employment, you have a 401K style retirement. But you also have an up to 5% contribution match, which is nothing to sneeze at in these times.

No automatic 80% pensions.

No automatic 80% pensions.

Feds never had automatic 80% pensions, I think the max was 75% and you had to almost die in a position to get that. My wife had 31 years and change (Under CSRS) and she left with about 68%. I had 26 years when I retired (CSRS) and got about 64+% These were both Law Enforcement retirements.

Not chump change by any means, but the folks under the new system (FERS) will be ok as long as the market is good... which it isn't.

They tried to get us to switch over to FERS, but the sales pitch was too much like " Hi, I'm from the Government and I'm here to help" Glad we passed

They tried to get us to switch over to FERS, but the sales pitch was too much like " Hi, I'm from the Government and I'm here to help" Glad we passed
if thats not a wolf in sheeps clothing i dont know what is :yup:

Good job indeed, most of theses FAA guys know how intimidating they can be so my guess is that they'd stay out of your way. I bet there are gonna be some former 134.5 gulfstream pilots aplying for this, I thought that current gulfstream pilots would make a little more or at least close to what the FAA is offering. I wonder if they would do the SWA thing and hire types with no time?

Back