Flight sim 2k4?

flyitup

Anyone have any idea when the new "Century of Flight" is going to be available in stores??

I can't wait!

Yea! Now I can blow another $50 away on something I already have and something my computer probably can't run
smirk.gif

Juuuuust kiddin... kinda

[ QUOTE ]
Ya know flyitup, with the new X-Plane 7 you could build your own flying lawnmower...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very funny Matt...
grin.gif

Thanks for the info guys...

If you have the money I highly recommend getting '04. It incorporates some nice aviation history. The old planes are a hoot, especially the St.Louis - you can't see where you're going! Hopefully your PC has some big cajones cause it's definitely a kick in the groin (maybe that means you want small ones, I dunno).

Greg-

I have a Dell that's a little over a year old. I've got 1800mhz and 80Gb hard drive. It runs FS 2002 fairly well, but I'm not real confident in its ability to run the new sim...

I'm not really in a financial position to purchase a new machine... Would a better graphics card to the trick?

Any suggestions?

You're fine. I'm running 1600mhz, 512mb, and a Gf3 Ti500 and it works for me. You can always tweak the options to get the desired FPS; just sacficice how purdy it looks for better performance.

How much RAM do you have and what kind of graphics card are you running? The amount of storage you have (80gigs) won't affect how well the game runs, for the most part.

[ QUOTE ]
How much RAM do you have and what kind of graphics card are you running?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... That's a good question...

Where can I find that info on my PC?

[ QUOTE ]
You're fine. I'm running 1600mhz, 512mb, and a Gf3 Ti500 and it works for me. You can always tweak the options to get the desired FPS; just sacficice how purdy it looks for better performance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Willfly,
Does that mean that you are running MSFS2004 already?? I thought that it is not out yet.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much RAM do you have and what kind of graphics card are you running?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm... That's a good question...

Where can I find that info on my PC?
[ QUOTE ]

Highlight "My Computer" then right click , select "Properties" for RAM info.
Then look under "Device Manager" >> "Display Adapters" for graphics info.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info Dan..

Here's the stats:

256MB of Ram

Graphics card is a 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX with TV out.

Do I need to upgrade that?

In my opinion, I would get 256 MB more of RAM and you could upgrade your video card, but I don't know much about those.

I've got 1.8 ghtz, G-force 4, 320 megabytes of ram I think.

It runs FS2k2 perfect. And with the G force 4's anti-aliasing the scenery looks fantastic.

I dont want any of you coming to my house and pocketing my g-force 4.

Are there any new video cards better than this one. I think this was the best one when I bought my comp about 7 months ago.

Tom

The new ATI Radeons (9800) are much better than the old GeForces (yes, even the 4) but currently they cost well over $300 to 400 dollars. You would probably need a top card to run FS04 at full bells and whistles, but you could still use your GF4 for probably 80%+ of the bells and whistles....

Completely unrelated computer question for anyone that knows (except you Rausda, your way didnt work!
grin.gif
)...

How come my computer (about a two year old Compaq Presario) doesn't recognize new RAM when I put it in? I was told that if I switched from Win ME to XP it would recognize it...and no luck. Any ideas?

I had that problem with an older Dell. Try upgrading your BIOS, there should be a downloadable upgrade on the Compaq website.

There's always something better.
smile.gif
Right now the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is the top of the pack. So far Nvidia hasn't released an answer to ATI. They make a 128MB version and a 256MB version. The performance difference between the two is very nominal so the $100 difference isn't really justified. The 9800 Pro 128mb will run you around $380.

Here is a link to a thread in which we talked about his a little before jetcareers link.

Cut and pasted from that thread. p.s. that link to the GeForce fan still works.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Ugh, how to get into this without sounding like a dork.

As far as graphics cards are concerned NVIDIA always seemed to be a step ahead of ATI until recently. The new ATI Radeon's put the new NVIDIA GeForceFX series to shame. Not only did it take NVIDIA longer to release their card, it also gets beat on most benchmarks. And if that's not a big enough kick in the nuts NVIDIA also had to overclock their card at the factory to get it even remotely close to Radeon's numbers.

Since they overclock it they have to stick a mofo'ing big fan on the card to cool it. It sounds like a turbine engine when it kicks on.
Video of the GeForce Fan In Action (2.3MB)

Anyways, I still use my GeForce3 Ti500 and it handles FS2002 just fine. Building your own PC is awesome if you have the time. You learn a lot and save yourself some money.

Back