Flight schools overseas for Americans

heeha

Are there any flight schools overseas that will accept Americans?

Also, is possible for an American to get a job flying overseas after attending a flight school?

Also, is possible for an American to get a job flying overseas after attending a flight school?

Why would you want to? It's pretty expensive to do that...

Yes there are flight schools overseas that Americans can attend. They are expensive and if they are located in a developing country most likely the training would be sub par and living conditions terrible. There are reasons why so many foreigners come to the states for training and why what you're asking about is unheard of.

It would be impossible for an expat to find an airline, corporate or freight job even in countries that have rapidly expanding aviation sectors without an ATPL and a type rating. I've known people who got hired by foreign airlines without any time in type but they all had loads of turbine PIC time. The airline might hire natives with some pretty low times but those people were probably chosen for that position in highschool. You would have to be friends with all the right people to get any half way decent job with a wet commercial at a foreign airline.

I don't know about getting a job, but there is very nice flight schools in Australia, Malaysia, South Africa that cost about the same then you would pay in the US.

In most places they will hire you if you are a resident and hold a work permit, that means you have to get all this without a company sponsorship, and then apply. In most cases a company will not sponsor a fresh CPL guy.

Oxford in the UK has a program with Netjets, really expensive.........really expensive, open to americans that would land you a job with them. In this industry I don't know if they are still doing it, but I know one guy that did it. ck details on pprune.org

As american you can get a job as a CFI:
http://www.apft.edu.my/
http://www.mfa.edu.my
http://www.ggifa.edu.my/

When I was in Thailand I saw some americans teaching there too.

There is a Nice flight school in San Jose, Costa Rica. If you speak spanish you may be able to get hired by some local charter company when done.

Alex

They are expensive and if they are located in a developing country most likely the training would be sub par and living conditions terrible.

This is not true, with the pilot pay in most developing countries you make a better living then in the US.

I live in Brazil now, here the fresh FO (they have FO, senior FO and then Capt) makes 3500Reais, which is almost 2000 dollars a month. The cost of life here is about 1/3 then in the US and you can have the same things you are not living in a slum.Residential tax is approximately $100 a year, 12 ounce (350 ml) beer in a tin can is about 60 cents, a good meal is about 5$, fresh fruits and veggies are 2 to 3 times cheaper than in North America. If you want i can post some pictures of where I live with that money....if you go to Asia it gets even better.

In some other developing country they take car of everything, you just have to fly.

As far as Flight School living, it's the same thing, you just don't have a salary to pay for it....

Here's another question:

If I go to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ and get my Professional Pilot degree and complete their flight school, will I be able to get a flying job overseas (airline, cargo, corporate, etc)? I know many people are saying it is hard, but from what I hear many airlines are in a hiring frenzy in places such as Asia.

I know some of you are going to say ERAU is expensive, but if I use my Post 9/11 GI Bill, then all my tuition,fees, and books will be paid for. I will also get a housing allowance.

Here's another question:

If I go to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ and get my Professional Pilot degree and complete their flight school, will I be able to get a flying job overseas (airline, cargo, corporate, etc)? I know many people are saying it is hard, but from what I hear many airlines are in a hiring frenzy in places such as Asia.

I know some of you are going to say ERAU is expensive, but if I use my Post 9/11 GI Bill, then all my tuition,fees, and books will be paid for. I will also get a housing allowance.

If you go there for the degree, unfortunately it does not have much value outside the US, most of the aviation related degree don't even exist.

To make it easier you will have to find a place where it's not to hard to get the local license, Africa and Asia are much easier than Europe.

At the end it all depends how good the aviation market will be when you re done, focus on getting your licenses and then you can get an idea what you can do with them.

This is not true, with the pilot pay in most developing countries you make a better living then in the US.

I live in Brazil now, here the fresh FO (they have FO, senior FO and then Capt) makes 3500Reais, which is almost 2000 dollars a month. The cost of life here is about 1/3 then in the US and you can have the same things you are not living in a slum.Residential tax is approximately $100 a year, 12 ounce (350 ml) beer in a tin can is about 60 cents, a good meal is about 5$, fresh fruits and veggies are 2 to 3 times cheaper than in North America. If you want i can post some pictures of where I live with that money....if you go to Asia it gets even better.

In some other developing country they take car of everything, you just have to fly.

As far as Flight School living, it's the same thing, you just don't have a salary to pay for it....
I was answering the first part of heeha's question when I said the flight schools are more expensive. That might be offset some by the cheaper cost of living but I don't think you will find an overall better deal overseas.

Sure you can live like a king at some expat pilot jobs but how do you get this job right out of training if you don't know all the right people? Even if this training was done overseas it's not like you're likely to meet anybody who can or is willing to help you. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's a very slim chance.

I'm in china right now and sure there are a few nice places but even an upscale supermarket here has children litterally pissing in the aisles. Beer is like 1 RMB but sometimes it's only fermented diesel fuel. Vegetables are cheap too but you better cook the hell out of it or get parasites.

I was answering the first part of heeha's question when I said the flight schools are more expensive. That might be offset some by the cheaper cost of living but I don't think you will find an overall better deal overseas.

Sure you can live like a king at some expat pilot jobs but how do you get this job right out of training if you don't know all the right people? Even if this training was done overseas it's not like you're likely to meet anybody who can or is willing to help you. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's a very slim chance.

I'm in china right now and sure there are a few nice places but even an upscale supermarket here has children litterally pissing in the aisles. Beer is like 1 RMB but sometimes it's only fermented diesel fuel. Vegetables are cheap too but you better cook the hell out of it or get parasites.

I can imagine a saw some videos of a pan am CFI in China, I was planning myself to go there.........

South East Asia is not that bad, yes it's hard to get a job right after training, even to teach you need to meet the local DGCA regs, Somewhere around 500TT for a CFI. In Malaysia most flight schools are in nice places, most of the airports are in tourist areas and even the ones by the big oil plants are not too bad of a place. Indonesia is couple steps down from that, but they have a really nice flight school in Bali, and one in Pangandaran (which is an other surfing spot on the Java island).
For Africa I can only name Namibia and South Africa, they both have flight schools, in Namibia you can get a job pretty easy, flying safaris on 210s and 206s, there is lots of european guys running charter services there.

What do you do over in China?

I can imagine a saw some videos of a pan am CFI in China, I was planning myself to go there.........

South East Asia is not that bad, yes it's hard to get a job right after training, even to teach you need to meet the local DGCA regs, Somewhere around 500TT for a CFI. In Malaysia most flight schools are in nice places, most of the airports are in tourist areas and even the ones by the big oil plants are not too bad of a place. Indonesia is couple steps down from that, but they have a really nice flight school in Bali, and one in Pangandaran (which is an other surfing spot on the Java island).
For Africa I can only name Namibia and South Africa, they both have flight schools, in Namibia you can get a job pretty easy, flying safaris on 210s and 206s, there is lots of european guys running charter services there.

For you guys thinking about going to Asia, you have to be aware of the gender discrimination in their pilot population. Women are generally not very welcomed in the profession. But I am sure most of u are men, so u dont have to worry about it, but just in case some of u out there are women, think twice b4 going to Asia. Just my 2 cents

Do you happen to know any Americans in their program?

I applied while back to the GulfAir program, (I'm not American, but I was living in the US back then) which was open to rated pilots. I passed the first selection, but everybody I knew, Americans, didn't made it after that. I think for peoples from the outside it's really hard to get in. Also think about it before you get into this, you will be giving to them your next 7 years, and you will be living in a place you might not like, read contracts carefully....

It's a shame about pan am. I was an instructor at jiutian for the last 5 weeks but I left yesterday after they said it would be another 2 weeks until they could pay me and they owe me not just salary but reimbursement for the CAAC medical exam. Wouldn't recommend that place to any prospective students either.

For you guys thinking about going to Asia, you have to be aware of the gender discrimination in their pilot population. Women are generally not very welcomed in the profession. But I am sure most of u are men, so u dont have to worry about it, but just in case some of u out there are women, think twice b4 going to Asia. Just my 2 cents
I've seen some female airline pilots and student pilots in China. I've also heard of female expat pilots in China.

Lots of them In Malaysia and Singapore too...

"Lots of them" doesn't mean anything.... They may have expat female pilots who flies with expat male pilots. But there arnt many (if any) locals. Here is a Chinese airline cadet pilot advertisement

http://hr.xiamenair.com.cn/,

On the job posting, it specifically said "Required Gender: M" That means if u r a woman, u r not even allowed to apply.

Back