Flight schools overseas for Americans

"Lots of them" doesn't mean anything.... They may have expat female pilots who flies with expat male pilots. But there arnt many (if any) locals. Here is a Chinese airline cadet pilot advertisement

http://hr.xiamenair.com.cn/,

On the job posting, it specifically said "Required Gender: M" That means if u r a woman, u r not even allowed to apply.

There is probably more female pilots in Asia than in Europe. Asia is big and I don't think China is the rule. In India there is lots of female pilots, so in South east Asia. You may be right about female Expat, the only I have seen were on Singapore.

Are there any opportunities overseas for Americans who want to fly for a cargo company?

I think what matters is not the type of flying, outside the US there is not much "regional cargo" flying, maybe in some remote areas where they use bush planes, other than that the rest of the cargo flying is made with big birds that fly across this big lakes we call oceans, way above of what a low timer fresh cpl can dream of.

I guess my dream of flying for an overseas airline/cargo company just went down the drain... Oh well...

I guess my dream of flying for an overseas airline/cargo company just went down the drain... Oh well...
I haven't given up on that dream. I probably won't realize it very soon but it's definitely not out of the question in the future.

Are there any flight schools overseas that will accept Americans?

Also, is possible for an American to get a job flying overseas after attending a flight school?

What's the objective of seeking out a school and a job overseas?

Are you attempting to find cheaper training, or a better paying job, or a better standard of living?

I think what matters is not the type of flying, outside the US there is not much "regional cargo" flying, maybe in some remote areas where they use bush planes, other than that the rest of the cargo flying is made with big birds that fly across this big lakes we call oceans, way above of what a low timer fresh cpl can dream of.
Really??? I know it would be hard to get some of the jobs, but I have seen numerous smaller, non bush-flying airplanes overseas. Germany loves Caravans (granted, now you are in the JAA realm), and I've seen numerous Dash-trash, etc. It is smaller than the US, but there are overseas jobs. One guy I have flown with flew Dash's around Africa building time...

I wouldn't say it's impossible...you just have to figure out what kind of flying you want to do and get yourself marketable.

Really??? I know it would be hard to get some of the jobs, but I have seen numerous smaller, non bush-flying airplanes overseas. Germany loves Caravans (granted, now you are in the JAA realm), and I've seen numerous Dash-trash, etc. It is smaller than the US, but there are overseas jobs. One guy I have flown with flew Dash's around Africa building time...

I wouldn't say it's impossible...you just have to figure out what kind of flying you want to do and get yourself marketable.

Single Engine Turbine IFR Operations are not allowed in Europe, only in some Scandinavian countries, Spain and Switzerland. The only caravans I have seen in Europe are for skydiving and some in southern Italy and Greece on floats.

There is lots of small planes in europe but there is almost not much market for them to be used as charter/airline/cargo. There is a Flight school in Italy that has a program were you land a job on one of their taxi VLJs, a mustang, kind of the same thing Gulfstream use to do...you pay to fly.

If you have the right JAA stuff, it's easier to get a job on a A320 or B737 than on any smaller plane....

Single Engine Turbine IFR Operations are not allowed in Europe, only in some Scandinavian countries, Spain and Switzerland. The only caravans I have seen in Europe are for skydiving and some in southern Italy and Greece on floats.

There is lots of small planes in europe but there is almost not much market for them to be used as charter/airline/cargo. There is a Flight school in Italy that has a program were you land a job on one of their taxi VLJs, a mustang, kind of the same thing Gulfstream use to do...you pay to fly.

If you have the right JAA stuff, it's easier to get a job on a A320 or B737 than on any smaller plane....
Ok, so saying Germany loves Caravans was a little over the top, but I recently was in Burbach, Germany, doing some maintenance and their ramp was filled with Caravans. They list 6 or 7 for sale, including in the corporate interior for 10 passengers. None were on floats. I don't know what they fly, be it charter, cargo, or skydiving, private, or anything else, but I do know they were there. http://www.air-alliance.de/index.php?article_id=2&clang=1 I'll try to dig up some pics of their ramp when I have some free time. They also had as many Caravans inside as they had outside.

Also, as I said before, that is the JAA realm. There are plenty other places to fly overseas. What are you willing to accept, and what are you looking for are the questions?

I want to fly for an Asian airline/cargo transport in any of the following countries: Taiwan, Hong Kong, Phillippine Islands, Thailand, or Laos.

I'm in china right now and sure there are a few nice places but even an upscale supermarket here has children litterally pissing in the aisles. Beer is like 1 RMB but sometimes it's only fermented diesel fuel. Vegetables are cheap too but you better cook the hell out of it or get parasites.

Yes the local food and pijiu (beer) in China are cheap but there is some local stuff (i.e. milk) that I will definitely not eat/drink until the FDA trains the local authorities on how to establish proper quality assurance control methods for food manufacturers. You will have to pay an arm and a leg for any American or European food item cravings, but at least they are available!

Although I'm working on a non-aviation-related gig in Beijing right now, I've been following local aviation industry development & news and can dare to predict that this will be a prime general aviation market in the near future and there will be plenty of expat pilot/instructor jobs available. The government and military have been keeping a tight grip on the airspace until now, but they are about to loosen that grip just a little bit now:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-10/20/content_8818629.htm

Besides, I'm already seeing Ferraris and Lamborghinis here left and right so you know that Pipers and Cessnas are not far behind :laff:

Hey Kill, are u still in China?

I came back home last week but I'm going back in a few weeks to Shanghai. I saw a lot Ferraris and Porches too but I think it will be some years before individuals start flying just for fun in China. China Daily and CCTV 9 are very upbeat about everything but I think the CAAC would really object to something called "uncontrolled airspace". I found some western foods and restaurants especially in Guangzhou but I didn't see one stick of deodorant the whole time I was there.

What about the singapore flight school? Is that any good and can Americans get in on that action?

Thanks!

There is a flying club there, the country is really small, In order to get all the req (x-country) you will have to go and rent a plane in Australia or Malaysia and do some flying there...most peoples just get their PPL there.

Better go straight to Malaysia, which has a really nice GA.

Oxford in the UK has a program with Netjets, really expensive.........really expensive, open to americans that would land you a job with them. In this industry I don't know if they are still doing it, but I know one guy that did it. ck details on pprune.org

I believe Netjets took just one or two classes from Oxford before freezing their recruitment. I met some of the guys on the program and according to their own words for the best of their course were promised type rating on the aircraft of their choice from the Netjets fleet. But enough to say I don't think those guys yet have made it to Netjets.

I believe Netjets took just one or two classes from Oxford before freezing their recruitment. I met some of the guys on the program and according to their own words for the best of their course were promised type rating on the aircraft of their choice from the Netjets fleet. But enough to say I don't think those guys yet have made it to Netjets.

A guy I know graduated about 1.5 years ago, and has not been called yet....what sucks is that you can't really try to get an other job, since any contract you sign with an other company will cancel the one with netjets.

Back