Flight Attendant - Not Good

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
How would this person still be working in this position after a bomb threat right after 9/11?.......................

Flight attendant accused of starting fire on plane
Friday, July 18, 2003 Posted: 1:32 AM EDT (0532 GMT)

Lamons, far left, speaks to officials at the Rome, Georgia, airport on May 8.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROME, Georgia (AP) -- A ComAir flight attendant was arrested Thursday on charges he started an airplane lavatory fire that forced an emergency landing May 8.

A federal grand jury indicted Turhan Jamar Lamons on a charge of attempting to set fire to ComAir Airlines Flight 5491 from Atlanta to Huntsville, Alabama.

The 50-passenger plane landed at the Rome airport after someone reported smoke coming from the lavatory. No one was injured. Investigators found partly burned newspaper in the restroom.

Officials did not say what led them to suspect Lamons.

Lamons' lawyer, Robert Mack, said he was unaware of the indictment but knew his client was under investigation.

The 23-year-old attendant also is charged with making a bomb threat against an AirTran Airways flight one week after September 11, 2001. The threat resulted in the plane being evacuated and searched.

Lamons, who worked for AirTran at the time, has pleaded innocent, Mack said.

Police said Lamons made the call because his request for a day off had been turned down.

What a jacka$$! Hmm after the Air Tran incident, he should have been flagged. Guess he sqeezed by somehow. So much for Comair doing their homework!

Well, hate to say it, but you get what you pay for.

Pay crap for employess and you get crap for eomployees.

As I have said before in another thread, I am pretty sure the so-called "Teddy Bear Case" was a TSA setup.

Only a very stupid person would think a gun would get by xray and metal detector inside a teddy bear. Come on, really.

This was probably done just to show they have the "right" to search kids and little old ladies.

And "Federal screeners have made two other catches recently. In Hartford, Connecticut, screeners stopped a man who had slipped a knife down the back of a six-year-old child's shirt to try to slip it past security, Johnson said. Also at that airport, screeners stopped a 67-year-old man who had hollowed out his prosthetic leg to conceal a nine-inch knife in a scabbard. "?

Yeah, we know who hijacked the jet yesterday; how can we be sure who is going to do it tomorrow?

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we know who hijacked the jet yesterday; how can we be sure who is going to do it tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, so true. Long gone are the days when a terrorist looked like a terrorist. We used to be able to tell what a person was up to by the way he/she dressed, but somewhere along the line we messed that up.

[ QUOTE ]
So true, so true. Long gone are the days when a terrorist looked like a terrorist. We used to be able to tell what a person was up to by the way he/she dressed, but somewhere along the line we messed that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No actually I think the ones that pulled off 9-11 looked just like the ones from the Chuck Norris Movies. JOhn interesting theory, and i wouldnt put it past them, i bet youre right.

I doubt seriously even an armed terrorist will successfully hijack a plane anymore. Unless he has 109 bullets I doubt he can take out a planeload of passengers.

I heard about that hollowed leg thing. Wasn't the guy on some weird medication and already a little loopy? He surely would have shown up in a profiled search.

I agree. Anyone who attempts to hijack a plane these days will likely deplane on a stretcher or a body bag...

Though, we know, no one ever dies ON an airplane. <grin>

Paul

Wasn't there some young guy who died (on-board) after paxs. beat him up on a SWA flight? He was pounding on the cockpit door... and he was on drugs. I believe this was pre 9/11

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt seriously even an armed terrorist will successfully hijack a plane anymore. Unless he has 109 bullets I doubt he can take out a planeload of passengers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just a matter of picking the right flight. We've flown legs recently where there were only 2-3 passengers on board.

My wife flew on an ASA CRJ in which she was the only passenger! Several late night commuting flights have seen me in cabins almost as empty.

I'm not sure about the other flights on 9-11, but I think that UAL 93 only had about 50 passengers out of 200 seats. I'm sure that they planned it that way, by scouting out low load flights.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about the other flights on 9-11, but I think that UAL 93 only had about 50 passengers out of 200 seats. I'm sure that they planned it that way, by scouting out low load flights.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they were successful in stopping the hijackers. If you think about it, the passengers of UAL 93 were the true heroes of 9-11.

You know, the worst part of this whole thing was that this flight attendant was the idiot that called in a bomb threat to get a day off while working at Air Tran, then was successful in passing a background check and getting hired as a crewmember at a different airline.

Geez!

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't there some young guy who died (on-board) after paxs. beat him up on a SWA flight? He was pounding on the cockpit door... and he was on drugs. I believe this was pre 9/11

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. 19 year-old started assaulting passengers, knocked a hole in the cockpit door, was able to push the captain through the door... I guess the controversy was over the fact that the FA's may have provoked him after he had settled down.

Can't really blame the passengers, I'm sure they never meant to kill the kid. He had trace amounts of THC and concaine in his blood but not enough to account for his crazy behavior ("Someone needs to fly this plane", "The drugs aren't mine", "It's not the drugs."). Whatever psycho.

*800 posts, woot!

[ QUOTE ]
And they were successful in stopping the hijackers. If you think about it, the passengers of UAL 93 were the true heroes of 9-11.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that they were heroes. And if you read the bios of the passengers, they were uniquely capable of resisting a hijacking. There were a large percentage of law enforcement, military, and martial arts people. Heck, they even had a pilot in the back.

They weren't totally successful though. I'd say that they fought the hijackers to draw. The hijackers didn't succeed, but neither did the passengers. If they had, they'd be alive today.

I view their efforts as successful. They were the only hijacked plane that didn't kill people on the ground. They are heroes, more so than NYPD or NYFD (also heroes, dont get me wrong.)

I doubt there is an airliner flying that early in the morning that doesn't have at least one commuting pilot in the back
smile.gif

Back