First Photos of Song Airlines

Joe

AIRLINERS.NET has the first photos of Delta's new low-cost carrier. I assume the fleet will be all Boeing 757s, but I don't know how many they plan on acquiring, or what cities/routes they will be operating.

Click here to view the photos.

Here's a quick update: I went to the web site; flysong.com, and they had a lot of info, including the cities they will be operating from. Also, be sure to go up to the "song and you" category, and check out the "what is song?" and "the experience" pages. Some interesting info there, like they're planning on having it so you can play multiplayer video games with other passengers, ppv tv, streaming mp3s, leather seats throughout the plane with plenty of legroom, and more...

How exactly is that supposed to be "low cost?" It sounds like 1st class throughout the plane.

I just looked at some of their rates...

New York (JFK) to West Palm Beach: $237.50 per person one-way

Jetblue offers the same trip for as little as $154.00
confused.gif

Here's a quick Song question:

Is it going to be part of Delta or it's own separate segment? Can you connect to Song? Say someone from Rochester wants to fly to Orlando. . would he get Delta Connection to JFK (if they even do that) and Song to Orlando??

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a quick Song question:

Is it going to be part of Delta or it's own separate segment? Can you connect to Song? Say someone from Rochester wants to fly to Orlando. . would he get Delta Connection to JFK (if they even do that) and Song to Orlando??

[/ QUOTE ]

a. Delta Air Lines owns "Song" and operates it as a subsidiary using mainline 757/767 pilots. Like a cockpit crew may fly a Delta jet LAX to TPA and then fly a Song jet to JFK.

b. I think so.

c. Maybe!
smile.gif

I certainly hope they would not use Song as part of their network. If I paid for a Delta ticket I expect it to be a Delta aircraft, not some dirty, cramped LCC that you would hide in your seat hoping no one will see you.

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly hope they would not use Song as part of their network. If I paid for a Delta ticket I expect it to be a Delta aircraft, not some dirty, cramped LCC that you would hide in your seat hoping no one will see you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's going to have a higher seat pitch than the regular mainline 757. But don't quote me on that.

I dunno, as long as they're paying mainline 757/767 rates and have a full boat, they could put a petting zoo back there and I wouldn't care... Just drive the bus!

[ QUOTE ]
they could put a petting zoo back there and I wouldn't care

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean it's not already a petting zoo?
grin.gif

SWA is damn near a cattle haul (they board that way, at least). That's what I hate most about SWA - the "pick any seat" thing. It always make me feel like I'm flying non-rev. If I'm paying for a seat I want an assigned seat dmanit!

I fly SWA quite a bit out of PHX and I'm starting to have a preference for an assigned seat myself. If you're traveling solo, it's not a problem, but if you and your wife both have bags, it can be a pain.

Because there are people that will wait at the door 40 minutes prior to the inbound flight arriving, then the first 20 or 30 people rush on the jet like escaped monkeys and put their bags in the forward cabin overheads and all 30 sit in the aisle and put their belongings in the middle and window seat as if they're saving seats. As boarding subsides, about half of those people pick up their belongings and enjoy an entire row to themselves. It almost reminds me of some lost scene from "Lord of the Flies"!

I'm waiting for people to degenerate into running to a row of seats and licking the arm rests to 'mark' their territory!

[ QUOTE ]
SWA is damn near a cattle haul (they board that way, at least). That's what I hate most about SWA - the "pick any seat" thing. It always make me feel like I'm flying non-rev. If I'm paying for a seat I want an assigned seat dmanit!

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally like the open seat deal. And besides it helps the turn time.....30 minute turns at SWA are a piece of cake while at JB they are a strech because people are looking for "19F". There are up and downsides to either system.

BTW Doug, are they still planning on doing 30 mins turns with 199 passengers....we barely,barely make 30 mins with 162 passengers.

[ QUOTE ]
Because there are people that will wait at the door 40 minutes prior to the inbound flight arriving, then the first 20 or 30 people rush on the jet like escaped monkeys

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm waiting for people to degenerate into running to a row of seats and licking the arm rests to 'mark' their territory!

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO!
grin.gif

Please tell me I can use your quotes.......they are so close to the truth it's scary.

Sure you can use them!

It's true though isn't it. What's entertaining is watching the people walk around with the "A" boarding priority in the gate area like they've got backstage passes to the Rolling Stones. They all congregate and are seemingly proud that their life is so inane that they were able to check in at 5:30am for a 1:30pm flight.

And that darn hanging drivers license holder that some people wear everywhere in the airport, sheesh! It might save 12 milliseconds during the boarding process, meanwhile anyone with better than 20/60 vision can jot down their name/address/license/etc. What a great opportunity for telemarketers! Sit around the SWA terminal and leech personal data!
smile.gif

Oh, umm, I'm not sure about the Song turn times. I'm only part of the MD-88 bourgeoise.

At least SWA has gotten rid of the "numbers." It used to be you'd get 1-30 board first, 31-60 boards second etc. Problem was people, naturally, thought you should board in literal numerical order and so when number 30 was first in line people would start getting pissed.

The "Group A" or "Group B" philosophy helps but I still feel the need to "compete" for a seat i've already paid for. It just puts me on edge and flying generally relaxes me.

Although, anymore, I find myself mumbling and grumbling "if our airplane was just 20 knots faster I'd fly this damn trip myself" a lot more than I used to.
wink.gif

>>I personally like the open seat deal. And besides it helps the turn time.....30 minute turns at SWA are a piece of cake while at JB they are a strech because people<<

Heck as a passenger I could not care if it takes a week to turn a plane around. I want to know which seat I am sitting in, and can enjoy an hour or 2 in the lounge before departure and know my seat is safe.

[ QUOTE ]
What's entertaining is watching the people walk around with the "A" boarding priority in the gate area like they've got backstage passes to the Rolling Stones

[/ QUOTE ]

I use to love showing up 20 mins prior to push and signing up for the 4th F/A seat then boarding in front of them.

This was another thing I use to love:
Me: Here's you boarding card sir,we'll be boarding out of B-22
Passneger: Okay, so I can board now?
Me: Uh...20 mins before depature
Passenger: Why can't I board now?
Me: Beacause the airplane is still in Baltimore,sir.

I once had a fist fight that almost broke out over the number 1 boarding card. Solved that by handing both men boarding cards 136 & 137.

I also loved when people see that they were gonna be in the last boarding group, they would start that "Can I preboard, I have such and such wrong with me".

Ahh the good ole days.....somebody remind me why I miss it?
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Although, anymore, I find myself mumbling and grumbling "if our airplane was just 20 knots faster I'd fly this damn trip myself" a lot more than I used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know it just hit me after I posted this - how friggin' cool is it that you could actually "compalin" about this in the first place? I mean we're pilots and so long as we had access to an aircraft we could just do it ourselves. Dunno, just kind of a silly, stupid "wow" realization. It's over now.

Now back to our regularly scheduled b***hing ...
grin.gif

Hiya All,

Anyone seen those boarding "chutes" at some SWA cities in the gate area? They have steel rails, Disney World like, with 3 rows, and a little lighted sign over each one. When the sign lights up, all the people run down the chute like Pavlovian cattle. Its wierd what people subject themselves to.

Not to bust on JetBlue, but the most dangerous thing I've seen lately is the whole boarding deal in FLL. In addition to the jetway, they use stairs on the terminal and airstairs on the back of their 320s, and the walkway between the two is roped off by what looks to be normal household twine. All the while, engines are running, airplanes are pulling in and out and a thousand carts and tugs are wizzing by. I saw a child dart under the rope and was RUNNING around the ramp. It's a setup for disaster. JMHO...

Very best,
RM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they could put a petting zoo back there and I wouldn't care

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean it's not already a petting zoo?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, SWA takes what little glamour and sophistication there was in flying and flushes it down the toilet. But you're paying two dollars for your flight. . . .

Back