First Photos of Song Airlines

That's right, Doug. And get this, the last time I flew SWA (admittedly, for free--I have their credit card), I was in the middle of the boarding frenzy, but I was the last one seated. That's right, I was in a middle, reverse-facing club seat near the restrooms.

So I pull out my pilot manuals and get to studying. The guy across from me (whose crotch is threatened by my knees) looks at me with a wry smile and asks, "you a pilot?"

"Studying to be one," I reply coolly.

"Guess you'd also better learn how to get a good seat in steerage!"

[ QUOTE ]
I fly SWA quite a bit out of PHX and I'm starting to have a preference for an assigned seat myself. If you're traveling solo, it's not a problem, but if you and your wife both have bags, it can be a pain.

Because there are people that will wait at the door 40 minutes prior to the inbound flight arriving, then the first 20 or 30 people rush on the jet like escaped monkeys and put their bags in the forward cabin overheads and all 30 sit in the aisle and put their belongings in the middle and window seat as if they're saving seats. As boarding subsides, about half of those people pick up their belongings and enjoy an entire row to themselves. It almost reminds me of some lost scene from "Lord of the Flies"!

I'm waiting for people to degenerate into running to a row of seats and licking the arm rests to 'mark' their territory!

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, that's part of the success of SWA. If you want to get a good seat (or a seat with the rest of your party), you're going to need to get there early. This encourages everyone to be on time. Is it any wonder that they are able to turn a plane faster, and in turn, get more legs out of an aircraft in one day?

Like I said before, only one major airline posted a profit last year.....

[ QUOTE ]
Not to bust on JetBlue, but the most dangerous thing I've seen lately is the whole boarding deal in FLL. In addition to the jetway, they use stairs on the terminal and airstairs on the back of their 320s, and the walkway between the two is roped off by what looks to be normal household twine. All the while, engines are running, airplanes are pulling in and out and a thousand carts and tugs are wizzing by. I saw a child dart under the rope and was RUNNING around the ramp. It's a setup for disaster. JMHO...

[/ QUOTE ]

Richman,
If you ever see that again, walk(no RUN!) over to a JB gate/ticket counter and demand to talk to a CSS. Those goons down there are suppose to be looking out for those passnegers when they use the airstairs! That's all we need,some little kid getting sucked down a intake.

BTW, if you can remember what the date and time of that incident, PM me with the details and I'll write up a irregularity report and submit it to HDQ.

There was an article in yesterdays WSJ saying that Song is targeting females of which do the majority of ticket shopping, according to "experts"... sounds like they're gambling on soccer moms? They said these women with Nieman Marcus, Saks credits cards who also shop at Target on Saturdays will love the sky blue leather seats, lcd screens, and low fares...

Soccer moms... greeeeeeeat.

More requests as i'm running late loading the FMS to let li'l Tommy into my seat so he can get his picture taken!
smile.gif

And more of "I'm sorry your roundtrip fare was $135 to fly from SNA to BOS, but considering the fact your starbucks venti soy white chocolate macciatto you're drinking is about $5 and you're driving a $61,000 SUV which gets 7 mpg of $2.15/gallon gasoline, I still think you're getting an awful swell bargain... Ma'am..."

A friend of mine has been working on a documentary about Song for the Discovery Channel that will air in the fall. So he's been to all kinds of marketing presentations and done lots of filming of things at ATL. He's flying down there (from NY) tomorrow in order to film the last landing of a 757 (?) as a Delta flight and then the gutting of the plane. Then when it's finished a couple weeks later he'll go back to film the result.

His trip back to NY this Monday will be with the ferry flight from ATL to JFK to put the plane in position for its inaugural flight on Tuesday (April 15).

I thought that was a pretty cool story. I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary!

[ QUOTE ]
And more of "I'm sorry your roundtrip fare was $135 to fly from SNA to BOS, but considering the fact your starbucks venti soy white chocolate macciatto you're drinking is about $5 and you're driving a $61,000 SUV which gets 7 mpg of $2.15/gallon gasoline, I still think you're getting an awful swell bargain... Ma'am..."

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah! And there isn't even any coffee in that particular Starbuck's delight.

Back