First Mins In the Saab

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
Coming into Flint, MI last night, I did my first approach to exact minimums in the Saab. I've some some approaches to 1 mile and 300 OVC, but this was 250 feet "approach lights in sight", 150 feet "runway in sight". A snowstorm blew through right as we were arriving, putting the visibility down to 1/2 mile as we were commencing the approach. While being vectored, it went to 3/8 mile, then back up to 1/2 just as we began. About 20 seconds past the FAF, they called it 1/4, but since we started already we were continuing. We made it at mins, and on taxi in it lifted to 1 mile. If we had to go missed, we were diverting too... bogus. I landed on a runway completely covered in snow, using the runway edge lights as a reference. Difficult no doubt, but the landing was smooth and we stopped without difficulty, although not using brakes. On taxi in we did slide a bit.
shocked.gif
What a way to end a day.

But wait, the day wasn't over... we waited for over an hour trying to get a hold of our hotel, but couldn't get an answer. Tired and hungry, we waited and waited standing in the terminal getting asked "what happens if my bag didn't come in" every 3 minutes. Finally we found out that the area where our hotel was lost power, so we called dispatch and got the OK to get a different hotel. So we found a BETTER hotel to stay in, one with free snacks and breakfast! 4:30 am Eastern did come early though, when it's hard to sleep with the adrenaline from an approach to minimums finishing your day.

Living the dream, folks. You got your good, and your bad, but overall this is a d*mn good job.

Sounds like fun man, I can't wait until I can go and do the same!

Where was your alternate? Saginaw?

Cheers

John Herreshoff

You probably didn't feel like Santa pulling his sleigh on that approach, did 'ya?
grin.gif
Man, talk about riding it down on the edge. Glad to hear it all worked out well, except for all the waiting. Worked out ok though in the end.

cool.gif
Blue Skies...

Good work, Szluka ... just as smooth with the snow as you are with the ladies, no doubt!

I've done mins in snow in a Bonanza before ... going to Detroit Metro a couple years ago. It was about 300-1 in a stinking blizzard. I was on the ground 30 minutes fueling and picking up a passenger, and had four inches of snow accumulate on the wings in that short time. Not a speck of ice to be had, though. Who says you can't fly up north in the winter??

FL270

Guys that try to train in that crud! Find me an instructor that'll actually go into the clouds with me in the winter. I have been looking, though from the sounds of things it is not the best idea ever. That's only what they tell me, though.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
It only gets better. Today, high speed abort at 10 knots below V1. Yay.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets hope it doesn't get any better than that!
crazy.gif

What brought that about FlyChi? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hi FC
Ain't it fun ... after all this is why we get paid the big bucks. My all time (legal) best was a 100' with 1/4 mi. vis PAR at Brunswick NAS ... someone talking me down through the crap. After a while 300 and 1/2 will seem like you're getting cheated on a Mins. approach.

To answer the Qs...

Nope, a line holder now.
smile.gif

For the mins, they were 200 and 1/2. They called it 1/2 when commencing the approach, but called 1/4 when we were inside the FAF. It was at least 1/2 when we broke out, and like 1 mile when we taxied in. Quick hit and run snowstorm.

About the abort, basically one of our takeoff systems disarmed at around 100 knots on the left engine, so we had to abort. The light went out and caught my eye, wasn't supposed to do that! So we stopped.

C650, I know what you mean. When it's 500 OVC and winds gusting to 25, now I'm like "ah it's definitely good to go." At least they were using the circle to 22L this morning to keep me entertained... we were about 3 miles from downtown behind a 737 when we turned final. Those buildings get really close.
shocked.gif
grin.gif

A few weeks ago we had two approaches in the same day with ASOS calling 100' ceilings (vis was well above mins, though - these were Part 135 flights). Both broke out around 250' - 350' agl.
The rough part was the winds were awful. Flying into PTK on another leg the jets ahead of us called 40 - 60 knot winds @ 3000' about 60 degrees off the nose (17kts at the surface) and 10 - 15 kts lost to windshear on the approach. Broke out on this one at about 400' agl with something like 30 - 40 degrees of wind correction cranked in. Kind of funny almost looking out the side window for the runway.
crazy.gif

Luckily this customer requested two pilot ops instead of single pilot - not a fun day to do by yourself...
Then we had one leg we couldn't get into the destination since the nearby VOR was down, with no other approaches that we could shoot (not /G aircraft). A realistic (for the customer) alternate nearby was also no-go since the ILS there required the VOR that was in-op for the missed. One of those days.
ooo.gif

Wait to you start doing actual CATII/IIIb stuff. 200 1/2 will seem like VFR.

I remember one Feb back at the commuters. We were flying ILS's to mins into CHO every night trying to get back home...and these were hand flown with no flt director. Sometimes we'd try 3-4 times before getting in.
crazy.gif

You'll get use to it over time.

[ QUOTE ]
You'll get use to it over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine so. Today I did two approaches into TOL down to 1 1/2 mi and 300 OVC, and although were approaches to near mins, it didn't seem like anything to get overly worked up about. Just another ILS. I still prepared for the go-around, just in case though. You can never be too sure!

[ QUOTE ]
To answer the Qs...

Nope, a line holder now.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet... after 6 months of airport reserve...I am a line holder next month......THANK GOD!

Merry X-Mas....

I love shooting approchs like that. Even if you're just watching from the right seat it's still cool to break out at 200' and land. Defiently one of the best highs in aviation.

Well this is my first post here....

how long have you been on the Saab?

I'll be based up in DTW here shortly (got 3 sim rides left in the CRJ), I suppose ill be quite used to playing in snowstorms by the time the leaves start turning green.

Sounds like a cool experience....it's nice when things are exciting, but not too exciting, haha.

I've been here coming up on 6 months now, as of Jan 2nd. You're at Pinnacle I take it? Being out of DTW who knows, we may cross paths at some destinations. See your CRJs often.

I have been forced into an approach to mins in a C172.
This past Febuary I was out building time in actual, and ended up flying the approach down to ILS minimums at night due to the weather changing enroute dramatically as I was returning home. An experience I will never forget. Still glad that I had a good alternate, despite making it into my original destination.

[ QUOTE ]
Well this is my first post here....

how long have you been on the Saab?

I'll be based up in DTW here shortly (got 3 sim rides left in the CRJ), I suppose ill be quite used to playing in snowstorms by the time the leaves start turning green.

Sounds like a cool experience....it's nice when things are exciting, but not too exciting, haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god....MAN DOWN!!!!

Just kidding.....
wink.gif

Just wait until you get to go to Traverse City or Pellston, shoot the ILS to mins in blowing snow with •ty braking action!

Welcome to Pinch-Nickel!

FlyChicaga..... Likewise, your Saabs are everywhere we are!

Back