First Mins In the Saab

I havn't had to abort a takeoff yet, but I've done two approaches to 100 AGL. One was at BGM in the J41 on a totally crappy, rainy day. The other was in the FRJ at CVG with a thin fog layer right on the deck.

Additionally, since I've been in CVG, I've had to abort several approaches. One was when the fog shifted and the visibility went down on one end of the runway, requiring us to approach from the other side. Another time, ATC didn't leave enough room between us and the preceding traffic and called us off. Just the other day, ATC descended us late and we never caught the glideslope.

All of these go arounds were outside the FAF with 0 or 12 (first notch) flaps. It is vastly different aborting at this stage than it is from the bottom of the approach and requires some thought. This is especially true if you are speed restricted and assigned a 90 heading change at the same time. I've never done a miss like we practice in the sim.

The CatIIIb approaches are something...the first officer never looks out the window. He monitors the gages and flight mode annunciator progression...feels the wheels hit the ground and then ensures the autopilot tracks the localizer down the center of the runway.

The captain finds the taxiway turnoff lights and navigates to the green taxi centerline lights...then possibly has to follow a "follow me" truck to navigate to the gate. You really cannot see anything.

A Cat I approach is typically 1/2 mile which equals 2400RVR. A Cat III approach is done in either a 300RVR or 600RVR variety.

It is quite a sight....even though you can't see much.

Back