First Airplane Ride!

MQAAord

Scheherazade
Staff member
We were up to the farm last weekend, and our little man got his first ever ride in a airplane! My dad took us up in his Archer, and the little guy was a bit worried at first, but once we got up to 3500 he just sat there with this look on his face like, "Mommie, this is a really loud car." I had to poke him to keep him awake for landing. He's a born flier!

The video is hilarious .

f9007b96.jpg

That is a really cute picture! Looks like he enjoyed himself. Did he have to wear anythign over his ears in place of headphones?

No, I knew if I tried to put a headset on him he'd either cry or take it off and try to eat it. You can cut adult size foam earplugs in half and stick them in babies ears, but we weren't going to be up for long, so I didn't put anything on his ears. I wore a headset, but I only wore it over my right ear so I'd be able to hear him.

My real trouble was with the car seat! He's only 9 months, and therefore technically should sit with the carseat rear facing. But our carseat (a Britax Marathon) is HUGE, and it barely fits rear-facing in the backseat of my Tahoe. I knew there was no way it was going in the back seat of the Archer like that. Plus, if he was rear facing, I'd have no way to see him if I was sitting in front. So I said screw it and put the carseat in forward facing.

I just wondered if th enoise bugged him. If he looked that smiley the entire trip then I'm sure he was fine. I have a long time til I have to start worrying about how to get a kid in the plane.

[ QUOTE ]
I had to poke him to keep him awake for landing. He's a born flier!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, my CFI's had to poke me to keep me awake during landings too. They said I was a born driver.
laugh.gif

Considering who his parents are, he ought to be a born flier!!!

Glad he enjoyed it ... they're never too young to get started.

Not trying to be sarcastic or hijack the thread, but how old is too old to get a dog started flying?

I've been wanting to take my dog flying for quite some time. He LOVES the car. I'm a little uncertain about taking him in a plane though. He's 7.

Give it a try on a trip around the pattern, then go progressively further. Some dogs love flying, but some don't. My mom's cat HATES flying. We took her with us from Charlotte to Elmira in a 182 and she spent the entire flight catatonic (no pun intended ... really!), curled up in the fetal position under the right seat. After shutdown it took us ten minutes to coax her out so we could open the doors. We were afraid to open up the door for fear she'd run ... then I'd have to call ground and say, "Uh, Elmira ground, could you stop all traffic on taxiway hotel? I need to go chase my cat."

Gave her some kitty valium for the return trip and she liked that a lot better.

My uncle (dad's brother, also a pilot) took his dogs flying with him.

Once.

They threw up all over everything, it was really gross. But not all dogs get airsick! So I agree with taking them up for a quick turn around the pattern and see how they do. Don't stray too far the first couple flights until they get used to it.

Horrible...I flew my buddy's cat from LPGV to KMQY one night....he was quiet at cruise, but sang his tail off during climbs and descents!!!!! And cats can get LOUD!!!!

Of course, I'm not a cat person....
grin.gif

Cool. I may do that one day. I've been talking about it for some time. Since my wife won't fly with me, it'd be cool to have my dog along.

My parent's dog was scared the first time he was in the plane when he was only about 4 months old. When we got on the ground, he did not want to come out of his travel bag. Now that he is used to it, when we get out to the airport he gets excited and runs to the airplane. When he's up in the air he will sit looking out the window.

[ QUOTE ]
technically should sit with the carseat rear facing.

[/ QUOTE ] Don't even sweat it! You did the right thing! The rear facing is a requirement based on the likelyhood of getting impacted from behind or from the front. I think the chances of being impacted on either end in a palne are pretty low!! LOL I would have put the seat forward too!

Back