First Airbus A320 NEO

I dunno. There is a pretty honest discussion going on out here about flying ATR42s.
Bring back the -7's!
0115904.jpg

If Hawaiian needs ATR pilots I have the type!

Would operating ATR's intra island be more profitable than using 717's?
No, doubt about it. I think there might be one less turn a day because of the speed of the ATR but fuel price is crazy high for a jet flying so low. Also there is one less flight attendant.

No, doubt about it. I think there might be one less turn a day because of the speed of the ATR but fuel price is crazy high for a jet flying so low. Also there is one less flight attendant.

Well yes, but there is also 70 less people in the back. Just a slight issue.

Right now they are operating them to LNY and MKK from Honolulu and Maui (light loads and short runways) and then from Maui to Hilo and Kona on off peak times. I'm ok with the first operation, but kind of worried about the second. The scope language we have isn't very good.

Well yes, but there is also 70 less people in the back. Just a slight issue.

Right now they are operating them to LNY and MKK from Honolulu and Maui (light loads and short runways) and then from Maui to Hilo and Kona on off peak times. I'm ok with the first operation, but kind of worried about the second. The scope language we have isn't very good.
Need to put some -72s on the fleet and it will help the capacity issue. The problem is there are no props that can carry the load of the 717 so I don't think Hawaiian will ever find a perfect replacement for inter island.

Flying a Dash-7 into MKK and JHM...must have been one awesome job.

Not only did they fly to MKK, LNY, and JHM, they also flew scenic tours on day trips to the Big Island to see the volcano by bus. On the way over and back, they'd fly the Dash 7 into and along the valleys. It was basically flying VFR, doing whatever you wanted through all the islands.

Not only did they fly to MKK, LNY, and JHM, they also flew scenic tours on day trips to the Big Island to see the volcano by bus. On the way over and back, they'd fly the Dash 7 into and along the valleys. It was basically flying VFR, doing whatever you wanted through all the islands.
That sounds astronomically badass. Wish there were more photos and/or videos around of that. Doesn't seem like the Dash-7s are well represented online, yet that sounds like something many tourists would have shot.

That sounds astronomically badass. Wish there were more photos and/or videos around of that. Doesn't seem like the Dash-7s are well represented online, yet that sounds like something many tourists would have shot.

Yup... and according to the old timers that flew the Dash 7's, most of the time the tourists were so tired from their tour, they'd end up sleeping through the most epic scenic views of the islands. This was back in the mid 80's.

I remember hearing no 757s(except former US Airways ones) or MD-80s would get that livery. Oh well, wonder if the mad dog is next.

Back