Fire Fighting - Two Fatal in AZ

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Date:10-JUL-2021
Time:c. 12:00
Type:
Silhouette image of generic BE9L model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Beechcraft C90 King Air
Owner/operator:
MSN:
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Category:Accident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Manoeuvring (airshow, firefighting, ag.ops.)
Nature:Fire fighting
Departure airport:
Destination airport:
Investigating agency: NTSB
Narrative:
The fire fighting aerial reconnaissance aircraft was destroyed after a reported structural failure and ground impact near Wikieup, Mohave County, Arizona while working the Cedar Basin Fire. The two occupants received fatal injuries.

What are the primary risks of air attack? The tankers is kind of obvious but I am really ignorant of the air attack role.

What are the primary risks of air attack? The tankers is kind of obvious but I am really ignorant of the air attack role.

Air attack is basically an aerial command platform, unlike tankers and the lead plane for the heavy tankers. Flies orbits above the scene. So what kind of structural failure and why, if witness reports are accurate, is perplexing.

Air attack is basically an aerial command platform, unlike tankers and the lead plane for the heavy tankers. Flies orbits above the scene. So what kind of structural failure and why, if witness reports are accurate, is perplexing.

Lead plane - I kind of envisioned Air Attack being the lead plane leading the tankers in/dropping smoke as a pathfinder in addition to aerial recon. I was probably conflating two different things (ignorance). But yeah - the in-flight break-up aspect made me question enough to ask here (and display my ignorance).

Lead plane - I kind of envisioned Air Attack being the lead plane leading the tankers in/dropping smoke as a pathfinder in addition to aerial recon. I was probably conflating two different things (ignorance). But yeah - the in-flight break-up aspect made me question enough to ask here (and display my ignorance).
I thought the same thing until I had a bunch of friends go fly air attack. They’re all in Commanders though.

Air Attack wouldn’t be doing any hard maneuvering flight, so a reported structural failure is interesting. Who knows what may have been the history of the particular king air 90 and it’s former uses, Mx, etc.

I'm getting word the bird may have been from FFZ. One of Falcon Executive Aviation's C90's, contracted to do fire recon missions. Pilot was chief pilot of flight school. Very sad.

Last edited:
I'm getting word the bird may have been from FFZ. One of Falcon Executive Aviation's C90's, contracted to do fire recon missions. Pilot was chief pilot of flight school. Very sad.

Yeah, Matt Miller. He was my CFI at Falcon Executive. My stomach dropped when I saw that.

I recall during my short stint with an E90 there was an inspection of the outer wing attach points/bolts. I believe it required removal of the bolts for NDT and the person assembling/disassembling had to have taken a specialized course offered by the manufacturer to legally sign it off.

This wasn't anything to do with FlyingWildAZ on YouTube? I know they have a Commander.

Air Attack wouldn’t be doing any hard maneuvering flight, so a reported structural failure is interesting. Who knows what may have been the history of the particular king air 90 and it’s former uses, Mx, etc.
That's right. However, air attack aircraft (of any role) are sometimes kinda notoriously, er, under-investigated and under-maintained.
(See Hawkins and Powers, Greybull, WY)

Last edited:
I thought the same thing until I had a bunch of friends go fly air attack. They’re all in Commanders though.
Twin Commanders are the first plane not to fly if you don't want the wings to fold on you. You know the history and the AD history, right?

Last edited:
Back