Finally joined a flying club near DFW

Considering you can get all your charts for free on an app like fltplan go, it makes no sense to use paper charts these days, both for cost reasons and logistics
I discovered on a long flight all VFR that my ability to judge distance on the variable scale iPad was garbage. I'm going to get a paper sectional for where I keep the plane I think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Careful, not a lot of room left on this stake for more people to be burned. :sarcasm:

Hey Todd, do you think I need one with cellular if I’m using an ADSB receiver like a Stratus or similar? Can I get a WiFi only one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I like cellular, because I sometimes find myself in some crappy little FBOs where I wouldn’t depend upon the WiFi. But you can certainly get by without it.

More room for Chloe's treats.

Doggos make good copilots.

Careful, not a lot of room left on this stake for more people to be burned. :sarcasm:
Yeah, honestly I'm not sure why anyone cares what your preference is. I'm more or less completely digital with an iPad mini and Garmin Pilot subscription. It's been great for puttering around Chicagoland.

I just flew VFR down to Houston and back. I found at times, I really wished I had physical charts, even in the small cockpit of a Cessna 140.

I'm not going to give up my EFB, but like I said before, I think I'm going to grab a TAC chart and sectional for Chicago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m genuinely not trying to jump on anyone here, everybody has their own preferences. But I really can’t understand how unfolding a paper chart, locating the physical reference points you need to spot your location, then searching out the relevant information you need at that point in time can possibly be safer or more efficient than glancing down on the exact same, geo referenced map that has auto located your position and is showing you traffic to boot.

This just sounds like using a AAA road map for directions while cruising down the highway when Waze can tell you there’s a piece of truck tire in your lane coming up.

No Jepp charts for PWK. The VFR chart option in Jepp is good but I have more experience using a sectional chart. You can download them on the WSI app but when offline the quality isn’t great (zoom in to a readable level and the text is all blurry, maybe user error).

I am not sure why a “small airplane” is less conducive for paper charts. It’s how I learned to fly. It’s how I taught people to fly. It’s just a personal preference.

I was not expecting to have to be the old man preaching about paper charts today.

The WSI app is for weather. You should try the fltplan go app, or if you want to spend $100, Foreflight. Using paper charts these day is pretty dumb.

The WSI app is for weather. You should try the fltplan go app, or if you want to spend $100, Foreflight. Using paper charts these day is pretty dumb.
Hey man, I’m not buying an iPad so I can get some app or pay for ForeFlight. I absolutely do not owe you any explanation but my work iPad does not allow me to install applications. Therefore, your insistent use of an iPad is a non-starter. Furthermore, even if I did have a brand new iPad and I did want to spend way more money on ForeFlight I still wouldn’t. I like paper charts and I just don’t care what you think nor am I going to change what I’m doing simply because somebody on the internet thinks it’s dumb.

Hey man, I’m not buying an iPad so I can get some app or pay for ForeFlight. I absolutely do not owe you any explanation but my work iPad does not allow me to install applications. Therefore, your insistent use of an iPad is a non-starter. Furthermore, even if I did have a brand new iPad and I did want to spend way more money on ForeFlight I still wouldn’t. I like paper charts and I just don’t care what you think nor am I going to change what I’m doing simply because somebody on the internet thinks it’s dumb.

You should at least try it once.

Hey Todd, do you think I need one with cellular if I’m using an ADSB receiver like a Stratus or similar? Can I get a WiFi only one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's no point to get a cellular data ipad if you're going to use a stratus / similar device. I have a cellular ipad, and that's because I was using it before the new ADSB devices were released. My next ipad will be wifi only. If you need data on the ground, use your phone as a hot spot.

Listening to mainline pilots complain about spending one hour of second year FO pay to leave the 20th century is pretty hilarious

View attachment 48709

https://m.gamestop.com/product/ipad...ifi-white-gamestop-premium-refurbished/107309

It’s absolutely not about the money. I thought I made that clear.

You could try an android tablet running something like Avare. That works well.

Just absolutely incensed that I don’t share your opinion.

It’s absolutely not about the money. I thought I made that clear.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Honest question- you don’t think having all the VFR sectionals, low enroutes, high enroutes, approach plates, AFD info, FBO info, your flight plan, weather briefing, TFR’s, NOTAMS, etc etc available at your fingertips on a seconds notice is, at the very least, convenient enough to give it a try?

Edit to add: assuming you have a smartphone, why not try the FltPlan go app on your phone? It’s not as intuitive as ForeFlight imo, but it’s free and offers a lot of resources.

Last edited:
Back