Finally joined a flying club near DFW

That surprises me too. He’s already got an iPad with Jepp charts for his job. Download FltPlan Go, and he’s all set. Not sure why anyone would willingly go back to paper charts, particularly in a small airplane.
The only reason I can think is he doesn’t have a good place in his airplane for the iPad but does have a chart clip. They seem like an even dorkier sequel to the flight school kneeboard but those leg straps do work well if you don’t have a good yoke or other mount.

That surprises me too. He’s already got an iPad with Jepp charts for his job. Download FltPlan Go, and he’s all set. Not sure why anyone would willingly go back to paper charts, particularly in a small airplane.
No Jepp charts for PWK. The VFR chart option in Jepp is good but I have more experience using a sectional chart. You can download them on the WSI app but when offline the quality isn’t great (zoom in to a readable level and the text is all blurry, maybe user error).

I am not sure why a “small airplane” is less conducive for paper charts. It’s how I learned to fly. It’s how I taught people to fly. It’s just a personal preference.

I was not expecting to have to be the old man preaching about paper charts today.

The only reason I can think is he doesn’t have a good place in his airplane for the iPad but does have a chart clip. They seem like an even dorkier sequel to the flight school kneeboard but those leg straps do work well if you don’t have a good yoke or other mount.
The 172 is g1000 and it has everything you could possibly want or need. But nothing, in my mind, is better than the sectional on my lap.

Is a full sized iPad Air too big for a Cherokee or 172 cockpit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but after hand writing your complaint on vellum, and the time taken to send your letter via horse courier, it will be one of the last received...
Wife and I were driving to the in-laws and we got coffee along the way. It tasted awful and I was going sub-orbital because I wanted coffee for my 2.5 hour drive. I found a customer satisfaction survey online and filled out, what my wife dubbed, a “strongly worded survey.”

So you can be sure I will submit a strongly worded survey. To someone.

Is a full sized iPad Air too big for a Cherokee or 172 cockpit?

I use an iPad Mini even in the 421. Full size is just too cumbersome.

I use a 9.7 iPad Pro. It's not too big, not too small. Just right. For me at least. iPad Mini is definitely a space saver. But I found it too small for my taste. I think that the 9.7 Pro is now defunct. Think it's 10 or 10.5 now. That might be too big, for a small, cramped cockpit.

Hey Todd, do you think I need one with cellular if I’m using an ADSB receiver like a Stratus or similar? Can I get a WiFi only one?

My mini is wifi only. There's wifi at most FBO's or I can use the hotspot on my phone in a pinch for updates. Cellular service is so spotty airborne I don't see the use of it.

Guess I’ll pick up a used Mini or something too.

I carried a mini for a long time but switched to the larger form - the Pro is good. My eyes just couldn't read all the stuff on the mini screen
Hey Todd, do you think I need one with cellular if I’m using an ADSB receiver like a Stratus or similar? Can I get a WiFi only one?

What @milleR said. If you have something like a Stratus or a Stratus2, it'll create the wifi network for you and it will provide GPS positioning.

The main advantage to having cellular on the iPad is that it has an on-board GPS receiver that will work WITHOUT a Stratus, but it won't pick up the datalink from ADSB.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) The Stratus (if you get one) has excellent battery life, but your iPad won't - the data interchange is pretty constant and your iPad will be working pretty hard, so making sure you have an in-cockpit way to power it is a great idea. Backup battery pack, too, if you opt not to carry paper backups.
1a) - I have had some cigarette lighter chargers create interference in the radios. Others don't. Go with something decent and name-brand.

2) Try to keep your iPad charged all the time. Letting it fully discharge as it ages will result in less energy storage and a shorter life over time.

Back