FedEx senior pilot on a mission to quiet the jet noise around LAX

We have a couple "steel brake" 76's.

Oh, they get spicy too!

That was a cut and paste from Boeing's Aero magazine. I think it should have read carbon brakes are basic equipment on the 767-400 because below it specifically mentions retrofit-table on the -200/300s.

TP

Hey, I never said I don't like the sounds of jets. I grew up around Miramar when they had F-14s. Loved it. Different when you're behind the yoke and have the ability to be a good neighbor, though.

I always operate the airplane in the most efficient manner possible. That's my job. But I could give two s---- about being a "good neighbor." If you move next to an airport, especially one of the busiest around, then expect the noise and shut your yap. If you don't like the noise, then don't move there. No one is forcing anyone to live next to a major airport.

No sympathy.

Also a great way to ruin a good landing.

"Autobrakes coming off," followed by everyone in back eating headrest. :)

Yeah, that's what I don't like about the autobrakes on the 76. It's near impossible to tap the brakes to turn them off in a smooth fashion. Of course, they don't want you going for the switch on rollout. I would never do that....

That's our procedure in the 207.

Yeah I wouldn't have a clue. I don't fly that plane at all. I know there is a 5 minute limitation at 2850. They were operating it different when they first got it. I think originally they were doing 2850 until 1,000' AGL if they got that high. :p

I always operate the airplane in the most efficient manner possible. That's my job. But I could give two s---- about being a "good neighbor." If you move next to an airport, especially one of the busiest around, then expect the noise and shut your yap. If you don't like the noise, then don't move there. No one is forcing anyone to live next to a major airport.

No sympathy.

That's fine, and I agree to a large extent. Don't live next to big airports if you don't like jet noise. However, I simply see it like a guy on a Harley riding up and down the street revving, then saying "Well, if you don't like it, don't live on the street." No need to be excessively noisy if you don't need to be.

Yeah, that's what I don't like about the autobrakes on the 76. It's near impossible to tap the brakes to turn them off in a smooth fashion. Of course, they don't want you going for the switch on rollout. I would never do that....

Yeah, I do the speedbrake trick.

I just tap the speedbrake lever, but you still get that 'boomerang' effect.

I live near an airport, but we do need to be somewhat cognizant of our noise footprint.

Here's why. Pilots and aviation professionals don't drive noise abatement procedures. Generally, that crazy-assed single lady with 15 cats does and then we have to comply, like Orange County. Look at the Far Rockaways, there's only a couple of nut-bags driving the campaign so I don't give them any more ammunition.

We can be "better" neighbors, but that doesn't mean bending over backwards to appease the NIMBY crowd.

NADP-1's are fun to fly anyway!

When I was working at HND one day some years ago, one of those pulled up to our MX hangar leaking all sorts of fluids. Thing was real POS and loud as a mofo. It was cool watching them start up those engines though.

That's fine, and I agree to a large extent. Don't live next to big airports if you don't like jet noise. However, I simply see it like a guy on a Harley riding up and down the street revving, then saying "Well, if you don't like it, don't live on the street." No need to be excessively noisy if you don't need to be.
That's why the Light Antitank Weapon will probably never be legal for us regular folks to own. Replacing obnoxious motorcycle riders with smoking craters would likely result in having less obnoxious motorcycle riders, both directly and indirectly, but also qualifies as murder.

Airplanes are quieter, but when you consider the growth of the air transportation industry in the past 30 years, I would daresay airports HAVE become noisier. Which would you rather have; 1 loud departure per hour, or 10 "quiet" departures?

Quieter airplanes do necessarily translate to a quiet airport,

I disagree. Having lived south of DTW, right under the approach path for 15 years, it has ABSOLUTELY gotten quieter when you don't have a NW DC-9 flying over the house every 5 minutes. Now, traffic volume at DTW probably hasn't changed appreciably in the past 15 years, but I doubt it has at LAX either.

I am for flying as efficiently as possible. I see that as part of my job in promoting aviation, but I have no sympathy for people that buy a house near an airport, reap all the economic benefits of having an airport in their community (including their 2 day shipping from Amazon via FedEx in the middle of the night), and still have the unmitigated gall to whine about the noise.

That's why the Light Antitank Weapon will probably never be legal for us regular folks to own. Replacing obnoxious motorcycle riders with smoking craters would likely result in having less obnoxious motorcycle riders, both directly and indirectly, but also qualifies as murder.

Still laughing... Made my week.

Ummm, you sure about that primo? I seem to remember some missive saying that all 767s were now carbon brakes. Hang on a tic, lemme go look.

Well, whaddaya know, the domestic 767s still got steel. I can't remember the last time I flew one of them.

Back