FedEx senior pilot on a mission to quiet the jet noise around LAX

This guy is my buddies dad. On his off time, he flies one of those communist nanchangs out of KTOA. they live up in the hill in RPV, so yeah, they have a ton of money.

That's pretty funny. I wonder how the TOA noise abatement types like that airplane. Communist planes are always loud.

Some people really try to make this job more difficult.... Or hell, life even.

It's an airport, it provides an excellent service that outweighs the negatives associated with noise and like others have pointed out before, they're quieter these days.

O and since when does Fedex have an LAX base?

You live next to an airport. If you don't like the sound of the ocean, would you move next to the beach?!?

I want the govt to install a wave noise reduction system! I moved next to the mountains. I didn't sign up for a beach to!

I do wonder if rolling to the end would have an adverse effect on arrival rate. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

not.

If you're using brakes to stop we're going to have to have a talk.

My company has had an idle reverse policy for a long time. Mostly to reduce engine wear and FOD ingestion. Obviously noise reduction is a side benefit. Some guys like to use full reverse "just because they can". They are of the anti-authority type. Crack the reversers, let it roll a bit, then feed in the brakes.

Just because you can drive a Harley down the street at 9:50 PM and rev the motor doesn't mean you should. Pissing off people just makes it worse and will lead to stricter local noise ordinances.

Anti-authority type? How about just because it sounds cool?

Not exactly MD-80 cool, but still... cool!

In the neighborhoods around LAX... if noise reduction is a priority, then the focus should be on gunfire rather than thrust reversers.
The gunfire, the non stop barking pit bulls and rottweilers, the police/ambulance/fire sirens and this crap below, is far worse than any sound from any jet.......

Some in the town seem to embrace it...

Two5Left-WEB.jpg

That beer kicks ass.

I have zero sympathy for major airports like LAX, and noise complaints.

That beer kicks ass.

I have zero sympathy for major airports like LAX, and noise complaints.

I lived pretty close to the final in Seattle growing up (before Stage Three, I might add). I have some sympathy.

If you deliberately fly noisily, you're a feminine hygiene product, and just as bad (if not worse) than the NIMBYs. I don't like the people on the hill at Home Base Municipal much, but I'll climb as rapidly as is safe to get away from them, and tip toe around them at night.

I lived pretty close to the final in Seattle growing up (before Stage Three, I might add). I have some sympathy.

If you deliberately fly noisily, you're a feminine hygiene product, and just as bad (if not worse) than the NIMBYs. I don't like the people on the hill at Home Base Municipal much, but I'll climb as rapidly as is safe to get away from them, and tip toe around them at night.

Company man, lol!

Nah, spooling just because it sounds cool is amateur hour stuff.

I'm never gonna be a 121 man, so all I'll ever be is a spectator. I'm 37 so grew up before stage 3. Lived 5 miles from the Airport (which had a F-16 ANG unit attached). Loved it. But I guess I can concede it being different for professionals.

I'm never gonna be a 121 man, so all I'll ever be is a spectator. I'm 37 so grew up before stage 3. Lived 5 miles from the Airport (which had a F-16 ANG unit attached). Loved it. But I guess I can concede it being different for professionals.

Hey, I never said I don't like the sounds of jets. I grew up around Miramar when they had F-14s. Loved it. Different when you're behind the yoke and have the ability to be a good neighbor, though.

Back