Fedex Purple Runway (Empire/MAC)

middies10

For all of those interested in a career with Fedex this program has just been announced. Its the most direct pathway to Fedex that has existed.

Details can be found below.

fedexpurplerunway.com

Hmmm. I have an ATR type rating I thought was useless and I am close to Empires bases.

We are hiring. ATR side tends to be a revolving door but this is expected to change that. So get your resumes in soon.

Also to be announced shortly is our Caravan SIC program (which is rediculous for time building because most routes only fly 2-3 hours a day).

Interesting, sounds like a guaranteed interview if you have a degree (2.5gpa or better), 500 multipic, and no training failures? A bit tempting since Empire has an ANC base.

Far as I know ANC is full but put your resume in.

Currently we are looking for
  • ATR Captain @ ICT, LBB, MAF, MSO, RAP, TUL and Home Base (home base is you travel to the airplane in the system but live anywhere)
  • ATR First Officer @ MAF, MSO, RAP, TUL
For the Van side we have
  • GEG
  • PDX Roamer
The GEG position is the one I just got promoted out of. We had a bunch of slots for SEA that just got filled. Class is in May so if everyone doesn't make it through training we could have another opening.

Otherwise the Van side is full up for the moment.

Hmmm. I have an ATR type rating I thought was useless and I am close to Empires bases.

I can walk your resume into HR if you want. It will at least get you to the top of the stack and If you meet all the requirements I can definitely get you a phone interview.

For the Van side we have
  • GEG
  • PDX Roamer
The GEG position is the one I just got promoted out of. We had a bunch of slots for SEA that just got filled. Class is in May so if everyone doesn't make it through training we could have another opening.

Otherwise the Van side is full up for the moment.
Good stuff, thanks for the info! Do you know if the payscale info on APC is still current? It says it was last updated on Nov. last year.

This is a very interesting agreement (I'm assuming that criteria laid out for MAC and Empire are the same, our internal memo is more complete than the purple runway website.) I'm surprised by how well it caters to people who have mixed experience. If you read it carefully, you can boil it down to 6 months and 500 hours at a feeder (needs to be ATR since it specifies "multi-engine turboprop or turbojet"). This seems to work out very well for those who already have multi-engine turbine PIC time, say from 91 or 135. So much so that, ironically, it puts me in a position where I would actually stand to shave about two years off the process by LEAVING the FedEx feeder where I work, and going somewhere to get the PIC time under a different part, and then returning for the 6mos/500 hours. I'm not sure if that was the intention in designing the agreement this way! :eek2:

As it were, it's still better than anything previously available, it shows the FedEx is very serious about hiring from the feeders. It is still only an interview, though, so I won't be referring to it as a "flow." If anyone wants data from the memo PM me.

The previous agreement had this

1. Bachelor’s degree ‐ Accredited School.​
a) Education items that FedEx considers a bonus (but not a requirement) include:​
I. Degree from a Forbe’s List school.​
II. Graduated in five years or less​
III. Attended less than three schools​
IV. 2.75 GPA or better​
2. One year experience in at least one area as a Check Airmen, Check Pilot, Evaluator or​
Instructor.​
3. Minimum of the past three consecutive years of uninterrupted service as an ATR Pilot in​
Command with Mountain Air Cargo, Inc. (FAR Part 121)​
4. Minimum of 1000 hours total Pilot in Command in airplanes and a minimum of 1500 hours’​
total time in airplanes. (FAR Part 121)​
Now a 2.5GPA is required, the three consecutive years part is gone, the reference to part 121 time is gone, and bullet #2 is gone. The bar is definitely lowered, and the interview is moved to the front of the line (previously you were just given more points.) It's the 121 wording going away that I find most surprising, and it may be useful to many people, if the final agreement is written the same as the memo.

Hello everyone. Do you all think that this is the best way to go for a newer pilot who already has been flying commercially? I have an engineering bachelor's degree, as well as 800tt with 620pic. Flying on average 80+ hrs sic per month. All of my time now is hand flying the Metro. Ever since I saw "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks, I knew that I wanted to work for Fedex, in addition to watching them fly overhead all the time. If I upgrade at my current position (at 135 pic mins) later this year, it will be at least another year here before my contract will be up. If I don't upgrade, I will only have about 600 pic hours which is a bit shy. Do Empire and Mountain Air hold firm to the 800pic requirement for 135 captains? I am really looking for the best intermediate step to gain the experience needed to fly major 121 cargo. Any advice or recommendations would go a long way.

If I'm reading correctly your contract will be extended by upgrading? Or is your contract going to run for more than another year regardless?

At an absolute minimum you will have to spend three years at a feeder for this deal to work. Consider that once you have been working at a feeder for six months you are eligible for the program, and if the program goes away, those who were enrolled get to continue anyways.

On the flip side, you are going to need multi-engine turbine PIC time, and once you start flying the ATR it's going to be roughly two years in the right seat. Again, at a minimum you need 36 months and 500 hours with Empire or the Mountain. The current wording doesn't say those particular hours have to be PIC, although I have to imagine that was the intent, until we have more exact information there is no way to know.

I think in your situation, since you are getting a lot of hours in multi-engine turboprop, you probably ought to stay where you are until you get ATP minimums (IF you can manage to do so without a contract) and then go straight into the right seat of the ATR. After about 3-4 years your times will be right, depending on the routes you fly. I fly just under 30 hours a month so on my particular route I'm going to be here for a while. There are routes that are good for time building if you are ambitious, and a glutton for punishment. If you can make it work, though, more power to you!

Thanks for the reply and advice. I am currently a free agent. My only current obligation is my apartment lease. I guess it all depends on what ATR FO benefits are and what bases are available. The big one is if they still are hiring near the end of the year. For me, one of the most important things I look at in a prospective employer are how well they take care of their employees. Its not so much about pay. When a company takes care of their people, employees in turn take care of the company. Its a much better work environment. I hope that this program stays around long enough to get my foot in the door.

Both companies are in need of pilots right now. I don't know how many new hires this deal will attract, but I don't think you have much to be worried about.

Both companies are in need of pilots right now. I don't know how many new hires this deal will attract, but I don't think you have much to be worried about.
135/121 feeder freight will always need pilots now more then ever. It’s almost like a disease that many people avoid for whatever reason be it pay, schedule, or the general mentality of those who think they are “too good” for old manual flying. However, it’s all fun and games until the next economic downturn happens forcing the airlines to start furloughing. Then as if by magic those feeder places suddenly have a stack of resumes along with others flocking to every other 135/91 outfit. Remember the late 2000s? seems like ages ago when the only operators that seemed to be hiring was Great Lakes and random flight schools. Anywhere else was EXTREMELY competitive or as a friend once said unless you were good at sucking dick, finding a job or moving on to a better flying job was hard to come by.

I am interested but I want to fly more hours per week in ATR. I believe most routes are less than 2 hours

I am interested but I want to fly more hours per week in ATR. I believe most routes are less than 2 hours

My route is less than two hours round trip, and I like that very much; but if you want hours, we have that option. I think BUF-IND is available and it will get you 4+ hours/day. I haven't done the Miami route but I've been told it will get you close to 30 hours a week. IND has a 5.5+ hr/day run; MEM-CHS will get you over 6hr/day. I could go on. Yes, you are correct that lot of routes are short, but if what you want is hours, you can make that happen.

How long is the upgrade on ATR for MAC since they do home basing for pilots?

2500 total, 1000 PIC, 1000 MEL, 300 Turbine, 500 Crew. Probably average 500 hours a year at the Feeders, so about 2-2.5 years if you start at ATP mins as a FO.

Back