Fed Ex Hiring Window Open

wrong category, right concept^
l83rp.jpg

I don't think any of us, or our kids who may get into aviation have anything to worry about except for the outrageous cost of flight training.

I don't think any of us, or our kids who may get into aviation have anything to worry about except for the outrageous cost of flight training.

I hate to say it but for most of my career I've said, "pilotless drones? BAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA *blerg*" but now, not so sure if so funny.

We're basically task saturated during the beginning and the end of a flight with hours of drilling through the skies reading colorful factoids in USAToday.

But, with a highly automated jet, you can have a guy in a box crank out six or seven takeoffs and landings for long haul hub to hub flights, and that's, six or seven aircraft, times two pilots, that's 14 pilots for the price of one and assloads of freight moved efficiently.

Passenger ops? 30, 50, 100 years? Probably.

I'll bet you a dollar it'll be long-haul cargo at first.

I hate to say it but for most of my career I've said, "pilotless drones? BAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA *blerg*" but now, not so sure if so funny.

We're basically task saturated during the beginning and the end of a flight with hours of drilling through the skies reading colorful factoids in USAToday.

But, with a highly automated jet, you can have a guy in a box crank out six or seven takeoffs and landings for long haul hub to hub flights, and that's, six or seven aircraft, times two pilots, that's 14 pilots for the price of one and assloads of freight moved efficiently.

Passenger ops? 30, 50, 100 years? Probably.

I'll bet you a dollar it'll be long-haul cargo at first.
Yeah I guess I can see that but I hope to hell we are all wrong about it.

Flying for FedEx or UPS is my dream job one day down the road, but I know it's a long shot. However here's a question maybe somebody knows the answer to. I know they require I believe it's 1500 turbine time, 1000 of which is PIC. However, are they generally fussy about HOW you got that turbine time?
For example, I'm considering in the future, going one of 3 directions:
1. Fly for a FedEx feeder. That would be turbine PIC, however it's single engine and single pilot.
2. Fly for a mapping company that flies twin turbocommanders or some such. That'd be multi-turbine PIC, but single pilot.
3. Fly for a regional or corporate outfit such as USA Jet, etc.. which would be multi-turbine PIC when I upgraded, and a crew environment.

I basically know the answer, I think - #3 would look way better to them. But would doing options #1 or #2 automatically rule you out? Or would you still be in consideration??

Hehehehehehhahanahahaha. Meeting the mins is not the thing you need to worry about. By the time you've met the right people, you'll have the mins. That part is quite a bit trickier, it turns out...

Hehehehehehhahanahahaha. Meeting the mins is not the thing you need to worry about. By the time you've met the right people, you'll have the mins. That part is quite a bit trickier, it turns out...
Well I realize you have to probably know the right people.. BUT.. can we answer my question? I'd like to try to go down the right path so the possibility is there one day down the road.

Well I realize you have to probably know the right people.. BUT.. can we answer my question? I'd like to try to go down the right path so the possibility is there one day down the road.

There is no right or wrong way man. Guys at the majors and cargo carriers come from all sorts of backgrounds and flying experiences.

Flying for FedEx or UPS is my dream job one day down the road, but I know it's a long shot. However here's a question maybe somebody knows the answer to. I know they require I believe it's 1500 turbine time, 1000 of which is PIC. However, are they generally fussy about HOW you got that turbine time?
For example, I'm considering in the future, going one of 3 directions:
1. Fly for a FedEx feeder. That would be turbine PIC, however it's single engine and single pilot.
2. Fly for a mapping company that flies twin turbocommanders or some such. That'd be multi-turbine PIC, but single pilot.
3. Fly for a regional or corporate outfit such as USA Jet, etc.. which would be multi-turbine PIC when I upgraded, and a crew environment.

I basically know the answer, I think - #3 would look way better to them. But would doing options #1 or #2 automatically rule you out? Or would you still be in consideration??

You are correct. Multi engine multi crew jet time would be best. The larger the plane is, the better.

Obviously twin turbine time is better that single engine time. But I don't think it would rule you out. It's all who you know anyway.

Also, military flight time is a huge plus.

Ok cool, thank you. Yeah I figured multi-turbine-crew is best; and military of course however, I'm not and I'm too old now anyway.
Just wanted to know if single-pilot single-engine turbine was useless or not.. I know some guys fly for FedEx feeders, etc, and go on to do other stuff.. a couple I've met though (older, to be sure) were lifers.
Thanks again.

Please see below from FedEx's application minimums. The turbine time has to be multiengine with a gross takeoff weight of at least 12,500 pounds. So, neither the survey route or the Caravan feeder route will get you to FedEx. An ATR feeder route would do it, but I have heard that FedEx will not hire directly from one of its feeders.

"1500 hours total fixed-wing time as pilot-in-command (PIC) or second-in-command in multi-engine turbo-prop A/C or jet A/C or combination thereof (GTOW 12,500), including a minimum of 1000 hours total fixed-wing pilot-in-command in multi-engine turbo prop A/C or jet A/C or combination thereof (GTOW 12,500). Note: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls. Note: FedEx considers only pilot time in fixed wing aircraft toward minimum qualifications. This does not include simulator, helicopter, flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, RIO, EWO, WSO, NFO, or Special Crew. "

Hello,

I have been flying abroad for a foreign carrier but still legally reside in the USA.
I know there is a USPS requiement regarding USA residency in the past 6 months. Do you know if my current situation disqualifies me from possible recuitment with Fedex.

Thanks

You are correct. Multi engine multi crew jet time would be best. The larger the plane is, the better.

Obviously twin turbine time is better that single engine time. But I don't think it would rule you out. It's all who you know anyway.

Also, military flight time is a huge plus.

As petaining to qualifications for Fedex, single engine turbine at a feeder will help you ZERO.

I know of rare instances of pilots from the ATR feeders (Empire, Mountain air) that got on, but they again had more then just the feeder time.

Rule of thumb from JC: the numbers in your phone book are way more important than your logbook.

As petaining to qualifications for Fedex, single engine turbine at a feeder will help you ZERO.

I know of rare instances of pilots from the ATR feeders (Empire, Mountain air) that got on, but they again had more then just the feeder time.

Rule of thumb from JC: the numbers in your phone book are way more important than your logbook.

Yup. Networking is just a fancy way of saying "make friends" then make a positive impression on them. Just because you know some people doesn't mean things will happen. That being said, just being a friend isn't enough either. I can think of a few people who are great people and would help me out of a jam if I needed it. However they have some piss poor work ethic and I couldn't in good conscience recommend them for a job.

You figure that broken record that keeps on playing on that dudes website would have enticed a few more of y'all to take care of those things! :)

But, but.....I don't need a degree to fly planes! I can push the GO button just fine!!!! :p

Back