Favorite Wings!

As a pilot, I think that I had the most fun in a Cessna 150. Although you aren't going fast at all, it was such a blast to land, especially with about 10 or 12 knots of headwind!!!

As a passenger, I think I'm torn between the 737 and the A320. The 737 is just so darn cool, but the A320 is the most comfy passenger plane I've ever been on. It's just so smooth and quiet!!!

I love flying the 150... a lot of haters, but it is so much fun. My favorite ride is the J3 cub, with the side open on a nice autumn day over the lake. Im hoping to start flying a chipmunk soon and am looking forward to spinning that!

My favorite wings are whatever I happen to be flying at the time!
smile.gif

Hey, it's all good!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would KILL to fly a T6... that is my FAVORITE airplane!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was my grandfather's plane. Hopefully someday I'll have a chance to fly one. I want to buy a 60 minute aerobatics flight from www.barnstorming.com - It's $455, but I think it'd be well worth it.

Here is my grandpa next to the T-6. He was a fighter pilot trainer in the "Army Air Force":

Grandpa1_small.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
That's awesome... there's a few around down here, hopefully Ill catch a ride someday.... there's no better sound in the world than a T6 flyby!

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone have a pic of a T6

I'd have to add that my favorite plane to fly in as a pax was the L1011. Talk about ROOMY!
cool.gif

Admittedly, I have never even come within spitting distance of a 757, 767 or Airbus as I don't fly commercially all that often (read: practically never), so I have nothing to compare it to.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to add that my favorite plane to fly in as a pax was the L1011. Talk about ROOMY!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a chance to jumpseat on an ATA L1011... it was one of the best aviation experiences in my life. I had so much fun it was scary. That plane is amazing. So huge. Not to mention you have a crew of 12... lots of people to hang with.

I'm a little upset ATA got rid of the 727s and are getting rid of the L1011s... I would have loved to fly either someday.
frown.gif

Of the airplanes I've flown, my current (King Air 200) is the favorite ... the fastest, the roomiest, and when putting your trust in powerplants, you can't get much better than a pair of PT6's.

Russ

And the L1011's got a huge cockpit. The jumpseat just aft (and to the left) of the captain is undeniably the best jumpseat ever manufactured and perhaps the best view ever.

And I usually don't get too excited about jumpseats, but unless you've ridden that seat, man o man, you have NO idea what you're missing!

That's the seat I had! Very cool ride. At one point there was 7 of us up there: 3 flight crew, deadheading FE, me, and 2 F/As. That's a lot of room!

I dont know but the a-320 i spent some time in this weekend was great. I sat in the exit row and had double the space of the normal passneger. i am 6'5 and was able to basically recline with my legs stright out in front of me. real nice setup. nice smooth ride and that bird felt really powerful as we climbed out at a pretty steep angle and bank.

favorite to fly is probably the Arrow...as i have a limited frame of reference.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's awesome... there's a few around down here, hopefully Ill catch a ride someday.... there's no better sound in the world than a T6 flyby!

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone have a pic of a T6

[/ QUOTE ]

Pic here

[ QUOTE ]
Does ANY airline still fly the L1011?? I know DAL retired theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. My first airline trip as a kid was on a TWA 727 MCI-STL then a L1011 STL-BWI.

Obviously it left an impression on me, too...or else I wouldn't be posting on this board.
wink.gif

Sarah

I believe ATA still operates some TriStars, but they're being retired just as fast as ATA can get their hands on replacement aircraft. Sadly, the L1011, like the MD-11 is pretty much a thing of the past in the US. Must have something to do do with airplanes that have "11" in their names...

On a personal note, I got to ride the L1011 several times when I was growing up. TWA had a bunch of them out of STL. It was definitely a cool ride.

I went flying with a competition (sportsman cat) pilot in an acrosport and did some aerobatics! WOW!!! what a ride! I will never forget that experience!
grin.gif

Beech D-17 Staggerwing, antique flyin in central california with my father when he owned the stag, talk about fun, just over rooftop level high speed flyby for the crowd and then he pulled back on the yoke, all I could see was sky and felt my stomach somewhere it wasn't supposed to be. That is an awesome piece of aviation history. I did not appreciate it while he had it. On one flight he allowed me to take the yoke, of which there was only one. It switched from left seat to right. Good Times!

[ QUOTE ]
Does ANY airline still fly the L1011?? I know DAL retired theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still some L1011s at ATA. There were plans to retire them, however with the amount of flying they are doing, the next L10 ready for retirement is being sent to D check (expensive maintenance overhaul). This means they are going to keep it flying for some time.

Right now the ATA MEC and management are negotiating 767 payrates. It seems that might be what's next for the company, to phase out the L1011s. Sad to see them go, but it's their time. They are maintenance hogs, and expensive to maintain and operate. Hopefully some 767s will start rolling on the property in 2005 or 2006.

It sure would be nice to fly one though. From what I hear, the L1011 trips are the closest you can get to "old school airline flying" these days!

Second favorite would be Catalina Seaplanes Grumman Goose from Long Beach/San Pedro to Catalina Island. I was very young, around 3-4 yrs old. I remember the landing on the water being loud and lots of spray near the windows. A bit scary for a young child. When it came time to beach the goose the engines would howl in order to bring the aircraft up on the ramp for the pax to leave the a/c. Very different but great experience.

Back