Favorite approach Scenery wise.

Rwy 22 @KLEX. You come over a beautiful horse farm with green grass that seems to go forever.

I'll have to take a picture and post it of the approach into RWY 3 at TPF. It's ALLL over the water of Tampa Bay. VERY nice!

I agree, Doug, the Quiet Bridge into SFO is great- especially if you're paired up with another jet on final. Legal formation flying with large jets!

I like flying the approach into Monterey. Kinda like Eagle's CT approach. You're shooting down a valley looking straight out into people's houses!

I like any of the western Montana airports: Missoula, Bozeman (where I am right now!), Kalispell, Butte. I really like the mountain flying!

Santa Barbara is fun to go into because of their noise abatement procedures. The runway parallels the shore. Can't cross the shoreline until about a 2 mile final, so you're turning a one mile base to final with everything out, on speed, slightly below glideslope (it's a short runway). It's the closest to "seat of the pants" flying you can get in a jet!

Palm Springs is fun. You turn final to the NW runway just about over Bob Hope's house.

Call me crazy, but I like NDB approaches! Never done an actual one, but it's fun in the sim to get it right!

NDB 31C Circle to Land 22L at MDW in IMC. Awesome to break out, point towards dowtown, and finish it off following the Orange Line around the bend into 22L passing over people watching you fly over and being able to read what's on their shirts. After flying it, and getting a decent landing, you feel like hot shiznit!

Enjoyed my approach into PIE this morning over Tampa Bay. Other ones that come to mind are...

1) Hot Springs, VA (HSP) ILS 25...this arpt is really cool to check out. Elevation is 3792 MSL!!
2) Roanoke, VA (LDA 6)
3)Chattanooga, TN (CHA)...any approach arriving from north of the arpt is beautiful

The obvious ones as well which I've never seen from the front seat. SFO, LGA, ORD

I've been flying through the SFO area few times, watching that approach into SFO. Gotta agree, two of em lined up over the water like that is a cool sight (at least from above, must be cool to fly it, but I don't have the nearly $200 in landing fees required to do it in little single engine planes...)

Also, that LOCDME into MRY is cool, in VFR. Kinda weird thinking how close you really are when the fog rolls in around those hills. I swear you can see what is on TV you get so close to some of the homes there. Get to the stepdown quick and watch a few seconds of the news or whatever
smile.gif

Josh

Sedona is always a favorite. I even have a picture I took on the right 45 for runway 21 blown up on my desktop. Another fun one is the ILS 21 at Flagstaff. Shoot it in VMC one day, and you'll realize JUST how close you are to that big ol' mountain. Come in from FRISY, and you're getting a pretty neat head-on view of Humphrey's Peak (something like 12,600 feet high) just before localizer intercept.

Oh, but I've just remembered one especially memorable approach. After a long flight, doing the GPS 12 Circle 21R at PRC at about 11:30pm one night. The pattern was empty, and we had some nice tunes going on the ADF. Turning a nice swooping final, all dirtied up with speed nailed, while Frank Sinatra's "Lady Is A Tramp" is playing in the background. Good times.

KMRY, 10R, you come in over the bay, pebble beach out the right window. awesome!
KTVL, Lake tahoe is beautiful all year round

Shelter Cove. Water at both ends, cliffs to the east, ocean to the west

[ QUOTE ]
. Another fun one is the ILS 21 at Flagstaff. Shoot it in VMC one day, and you'll realize JUST how close you are to that big ol' mountain. Come in from FRISY, and you're getting a pretty neat head-on view of Humphrey's Peak (something like 12,600 feet high) just before localizer intercept.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a C-90 King Air that was returning for landing IMC and blew through the LOC, ending up in the mountain, and killing the pilot, flight nurse and patient. Was returning for a landing gear retraction failure. 94/95 timeframe. It was one of the ones based at FLG with Guardian Air Ambulance.

Fly the airplane first.

I will vote for SFO Quiet Bridge as the best day in day out approach. It is great being over the water paired up with another aircraft on final (not quite as close as LAX on occasion, but of course there they don't let you pass) plus the bonus on short final, as you looking down the runway you see two aircraft cross your path departing from the interecting runways.

Though my best memory is Crescent City ILS over the water. It was twilight with patchy fog, occasionally shorline and pine trees peaking out of the fog, the airport obscured but the approach lights reflecting off the ocean. That was pretty cool for me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any approach into tegucigalpa..very stunning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Herk,

Isn't that where the AF Reserve Herk from Mitchell Field overran the runway on landing about 8 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, that plane was out of the 440th AW from Wisconsin...we have to read and watch stuff about that crash every year in the sim and systems refreasher ...it was very avoidable..

One of my pals flew the Herkie out of MKE and it pretty much freaked me out after that accident until I heard that he wasn't involved.

Another one of my pals was a Herkie driver and refers to everything as "Herkie This" and "Herkie That".

Pretty funny seeing "Herkie Baby" when he had his first.

It's a shame I'll never get to do the IGS 13 (aka the "Kai Tak Heart Attack") in the real world ... will try it in the sim one day though. That'd be excellent.

Roanoke (LDA 6 and ILS 33) in the mountains is certainly scenic, and is riding down the valley in to LWB or AVL ... I've done AVL on 200-1/2 days and that kept me on my toes ... there's something about being that close to the rocks and not seeing them.

When I was an intern in college, I jumpseated on the MD-80 in to SFO on the Quiet Bridge ... that is some kind of excitement. About two miles outside the San Mateo Bridge, the Captain turns to me and says, "Your job is to watch HIM." He points out the window to a United 757 off our left going to 28L and tells me to keep my eyes glued on him all the way down. That was interesting, to be sure.

Try the ILS 4R circle to land 29 at EWR ... heck of a Manhattan view on the circle. You're looking up at the buildings across the Hudson.

Fly safely ...

FL270

Seeing all the cool pics on here makes me think it is 'bout time i get out and buy myself a 'real' camera.

Back