FARNSWORTH/OPTEC 900 Locations

ajs1991

I recently had my first class physical done and didn't realize I had a color deficiency. On my medical it says "not valid for night flying or by color signal." Now I understand I can take the Farnsworth Lantern or Optec 900 test. So far, I've only been able to find a few places that actually have it. I live in North Carolina and was wondering if there is any doctor around here that can administer the test. Also, is there some type of "score" sheet the doctor needs to fill out?

There are not very many of these around. Try Dr Tordella in Egg City, New Jersey or in Philadelphia. There is a standardized scoring method defined by the military. You get 3 tries. If you answer all of the colors correctly on the first pass, you pass. If you miss any, you get 2 more trials and can only miss a total of 2 in the last 2 runs.

There is also one at the Vision Center at Ohio State in Columbus, OH. I've had to go through that very test myself.

How did the OPTEC go vs. the Ishihara? I suck with the Ishihara plates, but that is all the AMEs around here offer. I am going to be making a visit out to Phoenix to get a color vision consultation the Dr. on this forum sometime in the next year!

I recently had my first class physical done and didn't realize I had a color deficiency. On my medical it says "not valid for night flying or by color signal." Now I understand I can take the Farnsworth Lantern or Optec 900 test. So far, I've only been able to find a few places that actually have it. I live in North Carolina and was wondering if there is any doctor around here that can administer the test. Also, is there some type of "score" sheet the doctor needs to fill out?

I did mine at an optometry school in NYC. From what they said many optometry schools have them so do a google search for that and see what is local to you and give them a call. With all the medical facilites there in the Carolinas/Research Triangle there should be more than a few if you call the hospitals/universities.

How did the OPTEC go vs. the Ishihara? I suck with the Ishihara plates, but that is all the AMEs around here offer. I am going to be making a visit out to Phoenix to get a color vision consultation the Dr. on this forum sometime in the next year!

Same here. Borderline on the Ishihara. Depends on the lighting, how old the book is, etc. I have zero issues iding colors on the flight deck, outside the aircraft, etc. I've pondered making the trip to PHX myself. My medical is up next may, so I'm either going to do that or call optometry schools in the area to see if they have the equipment.

I receieved my first class just over a year ago and I took the Farnsworth lantern test (I located one in Boston) and I passed it twice with no errors (I have alot of trouble with the Ishihara Plates). Now I called to renew my medical and I found out that to my surprise that the doctor now longer does any FAA medical examines at all. So once again I'm looking to try and find a Farnsworth lantern so I can renew my medical.
I'm getting ready to start training for my advanced ratings and I need to get this handled before I start.
Does anybody know of a Farnsworth Lantern or possiblly an Optec 900 somewhere in New England?
I'm trying to track down what happened to the Farnsworth lantern that my old AME had and if it can be used for just the color vision test.

Se Dr Tordella in either Philadelphia or Egg Harbor, NJ. He is a good Senior AME as well as a form we airline pilot.

I don't know if you want to take it at the FSDO, maybe the doctor can comment on that, but I remember the FSDOin LA and I believe near the great lakes have one.

Farnsworth lantern.

All FSDO's have one but do you want to go to the FAA?

Will they fill out the form when I pass? :) I'd rather go to an AME or a doctor, but if there aren't any in the area, there doesn't seem to be much choice. I've been looking for one in Central Florida, but no luck.

Know anybody in the Florida panhandle / Southern Alabama / Southern Mississippi / Southern Georgia region that has any of these widgets?

On a side note....Somebody please get all the alternate color vision test-capable AMEs to throw some money into a quick alternate color vision search page. The FAA's AME listing just doesn't get that in-depth. There's clearly folks out there searching for your business....

Back