FAR question

Not specifically however I think there is something about being familiar with the area, or that just might fall under reckless operations.

On a totally seperate note, what is going on where you work. We are moving into the 12th floor of #5 this summer, so I drove by there today, and the street was blocked with protestors with signs saying Justice for Janitors. Has this been going on long?

VFR - Yes, but it depens on intrepretation. 91.103 and specifically, 91.503: "(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane: (3) Pertinent aeronautical charts." The interpretation comes in to what exactly does "pertinent" mean?

IFR - Yes. 91.503: "(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane: (4) For IFR, VFR over-the-top, or night operations, each pertinent navigational en route, terminal area, and approach and letdown chart. "

???????

No i-friggin-dea

Wow that is cool you'll be in the building! Too bad I'm quiting next month! You can order straberry banana freezes and don't leave a tip like everyone else; that's sure to make the coffee guys happy!

[ QUOTE ]
IFR - Yes. 91.503: "(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane: (4) For IFR, VFR over-the-top, or night operations, each pertinent navigational en route, terminal area, and approach and letdown chart. "

[/ QUOTE ]

hummdee dumm dumm hummmm lalalalallal

(note to self, when forgetting the flight bag at home, do not fly the route IFR even if you have done it a milllion times before go home and get the bag)

hummm la la lal allalallllallalalal

The FARs are far from clear (please excuse the pun)! I would never fly without a current chart, and do not think it is a good idea, even if you are familiar with the area.

That sucks you are quitting. About leaving a tip; I would probably ask to borrow money from you to buy my straberry banana freezes let alone leave a tip!

[ QUOTE ]
(note to self, when forgetting the flight bag at home, do not fly the route IFR even if you have done it a milllion times before go home and get the bag)

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't say anything about the "practicality" of the rule - just that there was one!
tongue.gif

91.503 comes under Subpart F which, under 91.501 Applicability says:

"This subpart prescribes operating rules, in addition to those prescribed in other subparts of this part, governing the operation of large and of turbojet-powered multi engine civil airplanes of U.S. registry. The operating rules in this subpart do not apply to those airplanes when they are required to be operated under parts 121.....135 etc."

So this doesn't apply to a PA28, C150, or any 121 or 135 ops from my interpretation.

And as far as 91.103, it talks about before beginning a flight, blah blah. Well, inflight isn't before beginning it, so that doesn't seem to apply either. I'm still searching myself for the chart/publication requirement...maybe its in an AC somewhere.

You can fly with expired plates, as long as you have checked the Notams for ammendments to the Approach plate.

[ QUOTE ]
So this doesn't apply to a PA28, C150, or any 121 or 135 ops from my interpretation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch... that's what you get when you do a search and don't get to see the preceding FARs.
tongue.gif

Now, where did I put my slice of humble pie ...

Back