FAR interpretation

blueflyer

I was just reading up on the part 141 schools requirements for an instrument ticket and if I am reading it correctly, this is what it says in

Part 141 - Instrument Rating Course:

1) 35 hours of instrument training
2) 40%-50% of the 35 hours can be in a simulator
( that means 14 to 17.5 hours out of the 35 hous needed)
3) 1 cross country flight at least 250 miles, etc.......
4) 30 hours of ground training

Part 61 - Instrument Rating Course

1) 40 hours of instrument training
2) 20 to 30 hours can be in a simulator
3) 1 cross country at least 250 miles, etc...........
4) No set minimum on ground school hours
5) 50 hours of cross country

IS THAT ALL YOU NEED AT A 141 SCHOOL?????
AM I NOT UNDERSTANDING SOMETHING???

why wouldn't everyone jump on that compared to a 61 school where you need at least 50 hours of cross country?

Somebody please enlighten me.

Do you mean considering time or money?

You only need 15 hours of instrument "training" (CFII dual time) for part 61, the other 25 can be hood time with a safety pilot, so that's probably cheaper than 35 hours of training under part 141. The way I read it you have to have a CFI for sim time to count (61 or 141).

Also, if the 141 school charges a CFI rate for ground school, that could be about $900 for the ground training, whereas even a real expensive CD-ROM or DVD knowledge course and Gleim cram book, etc. is less than $400.

Plus, you can double up the X-C and instrument time. It gets a little boring flying 50 NM away to shoot approaches and come right back, but it does save time.

I did a quick calcluation and I figured it would cost about the same either way (assuming doubling up the XC time).

Also you need the time if you're gonna get the Commercial... though 61 it's 250hrs and 141 it's 190hrs for the Commercial.

Back