Falcon Aviation Academy - My Journey (2007-2008 & beyond...)

Re: Falcon Aviation Academy - My Journey (2007-2008 & beyond

SIC Type ride this evening. . .:)

Best of success on that. IF you blow through ASA like you blew through Falcon, you'll end up at Delta in 6-8 years from now as an FO! Have fun flying in the Flight Levels!

Best of success on that. IF you blow through ASA like you blew through Falcon, you'll end up at Delta in 6-8 years from now as an FO! Have fun flying in the Flight Levels!

haha. . .yeah, I plan on staying at ASA for a while (more than 5 years, but less than 15). :)

Thanks man, I will be visiting the FFC location here in a few days.

Alright. So here is the plan. Get the MEI as the Initial rating. So that's 15 hours in the DA42 TwinStar as PIC with a lot of ground study. Now, for the plan:

1) I will read the Aviation Instructor's Handbook. That's this weekend.

2) I will study the Gleim to pass the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) next week and pass it. 100% home study.

3) I will then study the Gleim to take and pass the CFI-A the following week. 100% home study.

4) Then, I will complete the DA42 Proficiency written exam for PIC rentals, although all flying will still be with a MEI (should be easily done in a couple hours or less).

5) Work on the Multi-Engine Syllabuses I need for the check ride while reviewing all the required ground knowledge. Once again, all 100% home study using the Flight Instructor Flight Maneuvers and Practical Test Prep by Gleim along with the Falcon Aviation ground school syllabus's.

6) Then I'll get with what ever MEI I am assigned so he can quiz me and look over all my work. He can also brush me up in any areas I still need some work in order to pass the ground portion of the practical test.

7) While doing all the above, I'll be searching for an Accounting Manager for my client in California who needs one since that'll put another good pay check in my pocket.

All this will be completed in 3 weeks, by June 1st ideally. Sounds like a lot of work to me, but Ill get'er done!!! Getting the MEI-Initial is my first priority. Working is my second for now, even though I'd love to find that accounting manager since it'll pay me around $15k to $20k which helps with financials of course.

Getting this all done in 3 weeks, I can simply focus on keeping the knowledge fresh in June while I fly my 15 hours of PIC in the DA42 with an MEI. I should have the MEI-Initial in hand sometime in July from what I could predict out. So I'll say about 60 days for completion if I can stay focused and all goes well.

Fingers crossed on that since once I get this done, I'm hopeful Falcon hires me as an Instructor at PDK and offers to cover my CFI and CFI-I for me based on my performance.

Oh, and I'll put an date on here now with each benchmark I complete. Then at the end, I'll write a little time/ cost summary like I have been doing. That way no one needs to wait around for 60+ days for my next summary. It'll now be a little more interactive way to gauge progress and save me having to remember 60 + days worth of experiences all at once for a long gouge.

Oh, and I don’t think I mentioned. But I love flying out of PDK.If you could see what I see :panic: What a fun airport. On occasion there is a delay on the ramp since they are so busy, but overall it’s not any worse than any other towered airport. So no complaints here! The experience at PDK is awesome. I would not recommend the Private from this location since the radio could be tough here at times, but beyond the Private license this is a great training environment for anyone looking to fly as a professional.

:nana2:

FOI Written Test Passed:

O Sunday I read the Fundamentals of Instructing (FOI) book. It was about 9 hours of agony on the patio of Moe's Burrito Shack. (I read slow as reading speed always been a weakness of mine... so a normal reader would take half that time).

On Monday I went through the Gleim and answered all the questions and took the sample test. That was about a 5 hour misson to answer and understand every question.

For future reference of those looking at training, forget about reading the FOI. Just read and study the Gleim since it provides everything you need to know in the case of this test and really as knowledge in general. But I only recommend it for the FOI as all other tests really do require much more study beyond just the Gleim to gain proper knowledge in my opinion.

Tuesday morning I went through the Gleim one more time with confidence as it only took about 2 hours to answer every possible question since everything was very familair at that point.

Then Tuesday afternoon I went to the testing center and passed the 50 question test. It took me about 15 minutes to complete the test. I got a score of 100%.

So, FOI complete! Now I'll begin studying the Gleim CFI-A test. It appears to be mostly a review of things I already know from the Private and Commercial knowledge test and Jeppesen books. My goal is to have studying for the CFI-A completed next week with the written test on the 23rd or 26th.

Try 6 minutes ;)

Good deal though man, almost done!

Legal action completed:

As you all know, a little over a month ago something come up that could be a career issue. If you read along after that initial post in this thread, you figured out it has something to do with a legal issue. Well, here is the story and conclusion of that event.

I went out drinking to relax a bit one Thursday night. Upon closing time of the bar, I was too drunk to drive the Harley home. So I sat around outside the bar for a bit. Then I got cold since it was not around 2:30am or so. My cell phone battery was dead and the bar was locked up. So I could not call a cab. At this point, I decided to walk home. It was about 3 miles I believe, so not far.

While pushing my Harley through a rough section of town, I ended up in a confrontation with a few guys who did not like me for an unknown reason. Luckily it ended with no serious injury to anyone other than me being a little shaken (read scared). I continued my walk but was nervous about my surroundings since a lot of undesirable people were approaching me on occasion. As I walked, I'm not only a little agitated, but also drunk and very cold. After all, it was 80 out when I left my house but now it's about 45 degrees a mile into my walk and I have only suite pants and a dress shirt on.

Now for the stupid decision. No, I didn't ride the bike drunk. It turns out I did something even worse. I exercised a real bad judgement call. I decided I needed to warm up. So I sat in car's passenger seat that was open when I pulled up on the handle. Then I took a nap as I warmed up. Well... you guessed it.

A short time later, a knock on the window startles me. The officer asks if it was my car that I am sitting in, "no". Asks what I was doing, "trying not to freeze to death." Asks if I had permission to be in the car, "no".

The result. A felony arrest for something called "entering auto". I had my parents bail me out of the jail after a few days. Not ever being in this situation and not knowing the system, it takes days to figure out how to get out since it is not like you think it would be. The whole thing is very embarrassing. Especially for me, a person who has always prided himself on being of good judgement and being successful. It was a very demoralizing event. Flash to today....

I had my second court appearance today. The charges were reduced to a misdemeanour of trespassing since it was clear I had no foul intentions. So a felony entering auto was not the proper charge. I was simply in a place I should not have been due to a stupid decision.

They would not dismiss the case as it was clear I was trespassing. So I was advised to Plea NoLo to the Missdemeanour of Criminal Tresspass. In return they would do something called First Offenders Act.

This act says on my final paperwork that "I shall stand discharged of said offense without court adjudication of guilt and shall be completely exonerated of guilt of said offense charged."

The result:
Was I arrested? Yes.
Was I convicted? No.
Is this a career problem? Maybe.
Will I give up on my dreams? No.
Did I make a mistake? Yes. A stupid one for sure.

I'm embarrassed and feel pretty stupid and demoralized at the moment. But I know it won't ever happen again. And I know I can't change the choice I made that night or the resulting First Offender Disposition of the case. Fingers crossed it does not have a major negative impact on me from pursuing my dreams.

Now, time to go celebrate my 35th birthday (yeah, happy b-day to me). And then after that, time study for that CFI-A written and hope for the best...

Sounds to me simply like you have an interesting and funny story to tell at all your future interviews.

I agree, I'm sure it sucks now, but I'm sure you will be able to laugh about it a few years down the road.

Texas,

Doubt there will be a next time, but if there is give me a call. I'll pick you up.

CJ

Texas,

Doubt there will be a next time, but if there is give me a call. I'll pick you up.

CJ

Thanks. But you are right. There won't be a next time. I tend not to make the same mistake twice.

FIA PASSED (Flight Instructor - Airplane Written):

That does it for FAA Written Exams for at least a year or two. Well, at least until I am ready for the ATP Written Exam or decide to knock out the AGI in case I want to be a Gold Seal Instructor. But that's all a year or three away at this point.

THE THREE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR WRITTENS SUMMARY:
CFI-I, Instrument Instructor: I took this the same day I took my Instrument Written. I scored a 96% back in September. It was pretty much the same test as the Instrument Written.

FOI, Fundamentals of Instruction: As previously mentioned in the thread from last week, I passed this with a 100% after a few days of self study.

FIA, Flight Instructor Airplane: After 4 full days of studying the nice red Flight Instructor Test Prep Book (went through the book twice cover to cover), I took the test today. The self study paid off once again; 99 of 100 correct on the FIA. A score of 99%.

So what now?

This weekend I am moving to a new loft, costs a little more but it's much nicer. So I am in downtown Atlanta for at least another 12 full months. Oh and the place has a great view of the pool. So I think it's time to have a BBQ and check out the ladies!!!... anyone care to join?

Then next week, once settled into my new place, I will focus on writing the lesson plans required for the Multi-Engine Instructor as the initial rating. Once I get all those lesson plans written, I'll basically teach them all to my instructor so he feels I know my stuff and can ace the oral part of the exam. Then it'll be back in the cockpit of the DA42 to burn up about 15 hours of PIC time from the right seat before taking the practical exam with the FAA.

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Lesson plans for my multi-engine initial are 50% complete. It's taking longer than expected. I never planned on writing a book, but it pretty much seems what writing these lesson plans consist of. I'll be meeting with my CFI next week to teach him what ever parts he wants to hear about on the lesson plans I have completed.

From the 18th to the 24th, I'm taking a week long vacation. I'll be camping and riding the Harley around the mountains. A little something I planned like 6 months ago, and it's finally here! I hoped to be through my program as this was supposed to be my reward for completing everything, but I'll just enjoy an early reward.

Then from the 25th to July 1st I'm in Ohio. First for the NBAA Regional Forum in Dayton Ohio which should be a blast. It's a business trip for me, but how could being surrounded by business aviation professionals and business jets really be work! I'll then spend that weekend checking out the US Air Force Museum for some aviation history education along with the other sights and sounds of Dayton, Cincinnati, and Northern Kentucky (not like it's anything too exciting considering I lived in the area years ago for way too long!).

Once I get back, the first week of July I'll wrap up my lesson plan by demonstrating I have the knowledge and every lesson plan completed to my CFI. So in July I'll be able to fly my 15 hours of PIC in the DA42 Twinstar and get my MEI rating! At this point the goal is to have my resume to the Falcon Aviation hiring gods in August since I was told they still will honor my original program deal of them paying for my CFI and CFI-I once I get the MEI completed (looking forward to the day!

Hey I have read your journey and found it amazing... Congratulations on your CFI exams and good luck for whatever is next!!!

Hey I have read your journey and found it amazing... Congratulations on your CFI exams and good luck for whatever is next!!!

Thanks. Next is just getting that MEI-Initial Rating in hand in the next 45 days or so, then getting employed with Falcon Aviation Academy if all goes as planned. Then it's just working as a CFI here at Falcon to build a couple thousand hours total time with a lot of multi-engine as well. Fingers crossed.

I have also been keeping up with your journey, great job on recieving all your ratings. I plan on starting there at the end part of this year, any advice you could give me would be great help....but once again congratulations:nana2:

I have also been keeping up with your journey, great job on recieving all your ratings. I plan on starting there at the end part of this year, any advice you could give me would be great help....but once again congratulations:nana2:

I'd just do some reading to put you ahead of the game. Read and study the Jeppeson books if you'd like (Private and Instrument/Commercial).

Or the books I prefer, The Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, The Airplane Flying Handbook, Aviation Weather, Aviation Weather Services Explained, Instrument Flying Handbook, and the Instrument Procedures Handbook. I'd recommend reading them in that order to prepare. And best of all, you can get these free on the faa.gov site by viewing their PDF. Of course, I bought them since it's easier to carry around everywhere I go and read and study casually in my free time. Oh, and you can also pick up a Pilot Operating Handbook (POH) for the Diamond DA20 and the DA40 if you want to study that as well to be familair with the aircraft (those books are hard to come by unless you live near a school with a Diamond Fleet).

Hope this helps. See you soon!

Back